Jon Jones teases potential move to heavyweight

There is no question Jon Jones is one of the most compelling talents currently competing at light heavyweight, let alone in Mixed Martial Arts. At 11-1, with the only blemish being a disqualification after landing an illegal elbow in the process of finishing Matt Hamill a year ago, “Bones” has rapidly moved his way up the contendership ladder with back-to-back TKOs in the first round against Brandon Vera and Vladimir Matyushenko.

With a scheduled fight against undefeated 205-pounder Ryan Bader on February 5 in Las Vegas including a possible title-shot if he notches the twelfth victory of his career at UFC 126, Jones has of things to look forward to at the moment not to mention the possibility of a move to heavyweight at some point down the road. In fact, according to the 23-year old himself, a change in divisions may not actually be too far off.

Jones took to his Twitter to address the issue after mentioning he was currently walking around at 227 lbs. while teasing that he may still be growing into his “adult frame”.

On the subject of heavyweight, the dynamic New Yorker replied, “I can see that happening in 2012.”

Though it’s impossible to tell how the next 12-18 months will unfold, it isn’t difficult to envision the 6’4” Jones finding success in the weight-class given his abilities, athleticism, age, and the notion current champ Cain Velasquez is three inches shorter and weighed in less than twenty pounds heavier for his title-winning fight against Brock Lesnar than “Bones” measures in at presently.

The well-rounded Greg Jackson-trained competitor has finished nine of the eleven opponents he’s beaten and has not seen the judges’ scorecards since January 2009. In addition to Vera and Matyushenko, Jones also holds wins in the Octagon over Stephan Bonnar, Andre Gusmao, and Jake O’Brien.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Skies the limit for this kid…and I cant wait to see what the future holds for him. If he runs through Bader I guarantee he’ll get that first title shot against the winner of shogun vs sugar

• bigbadjohn says:

I guarantee he won’t if Suga wins.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 10 Thumb down 5

• Lethal Liquid says:

Love ol Bones he should stay in this weight class at least until he’s 30. He will get his shot at ShoGun and I like his chances

• cocoonofhorror says:

bones is too boney to be a good HW. he has the perfect frame for a LHW, HWs will eat him for lunch.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 9 Thumb down 14

• Angry Mike says:

His frame is big enough for him to bulk up, but the question is whether he’d sacrifice speed and athleticism for size. He should run through the light heavies and take the belt before experimenting, imo

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 10 Thumb down 6

• stone says:

I still wanna see him fight a “top 5er”

Well-Done. Thumb up 18 Thumb down 0

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I would pick him against Mir, Nelson, Carwin, Nog, Struve and Schaub now.
    I think this dude is THE best prospect in MMA today.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

If he ways 227, all he would have to do is add 13 pds to his frame to be 240 and heavier than Fedor, Nog, Valasquez, CroCop, Werdum etc.

• mma.Australia says:

MMA LOGIC – agreed, he is probably THE best prospect in MMA, with the likes of Oliveira and Sots lighting it up close behind, however Mir and Carwin might be a stretch subs and strength wise respectively.

Those two HWs, when they’re on, or fix gas tank issues a la Carwin, Bones won’t be walking thru with ease.

I see Bones staying at LHW and with the belt in 24 months. 2 wins, his 1st real loss, and 2 wins back to back to challenge for the title and take it home

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Hey I don’t expect many to agree with me.
    Truth is that Randy gave the likes of Nog a good run for his money and I would back Randy of a year or 2 ago to beat Struve and Schaub any day. Jones is better than Randy ever was. I would never have expected Couture to destroy Hamill and Matyushenko like Jones did and the way Jones easily out wrestled and disposed of Vera is something Couture failed to do (I think he even lost that fight).
    I like the way you have named the strong points of other heavy weights and said it would be a problem for Jones. Well yeah Carwin is strong and yeah Mir has good subs but Jones is faster, more explosive and has cardio superior to both. Carwin (as far as I can see) has 1 way to win and that is to put his hands on your chin early and Mir, at 6-4 of recent times is not the tallest of HW mountains to climb . Nelson is borderline top 20 and not a standout HW. Schaub is never going to much more than an also ran or gate keeper. Nog is a Legend and is still top 10 but I can see him slowly slipping from 1 in the world to 2, then 5, now perhaps around 8. So I think, although Nog is still very dangerous and has good subs, age and the evolution of MMA have conspired against him. So yeah I would back him and a few other top LHWs to beat those guys, I wont say he WOULD win against all of those HWs but if I was forced to bet, I would be laying my money on Jones. The UFC HW division gets heralded as being very strong and it is in depth but apart from 4 or 5 up the top the gap to the rest is getting quite big, a gap that would be filled quite nicely by the addition Werdum Overeem, BigFoot, Rogers, Barnett, Arlovski, Aleks, Kharitonov, Sylvia and Fedor Once the dust settled from that lot sorting itself out we would have a complete HW division..

• gy614x says:

One of my instructers friends is a black belt under greg jackson, he’s been in New Mexico with them for a long time now. When he came up to our gym to show us some things (he’s originally from around where our gym is) he said “you want a prospect? Jon Jones will have that belt in the next 2 years. Nobody works like he does.” That was last year.

As far as Jones move to heavyweight, as long as he does it the right way, which would mean him taking time off to pack on about 20 pounds….i like his odds at 205

• JabCrossHook says:

He’s only 23 hes just going to keep on growing and IMO he will weigh too much to cut weight in a healthy way. But I also think he will be one of the best HWs in the UFC. His reach is dangerous for any fighter so he can switch weight classes with no real problems with being too short. Plus I could see Jones fill out to about 240-250 if he was a hw.

• Swing Em says:

Jon Jones until proven otherwise beats anybody at 205lbs.

He is really the “new breed” of MMA fighters along with Jose Aldo & GSP, they can do EVERYTHING well & are world class athletes.

He could move to heavyweight & still be a Top 5 fighter because of his reach if nothing else. I think Jones somewhere around 235lbs would be big enough to take on your Lesnars & Carwins but still have his quickness to compete against Cain & the other “smaller” HW’s. He would definetly be the most explosive fighter in the division.

I think “Bones” will be wearing UFC gold in whatever division he competes in.