Josh Koscheck exits Montreal with a broken orbital bone

Though no official medical results have been released on the heels of UFC 124, it appears at least one injury resulting from the evening’s action has been confirmed. With a large amount swelling to contender Josh Koscheck’s right eye occuring after the first frame of his title fight with champ Georges St. Pierre, speculation on the extent of damage rendered by GSP’s jabs started to surface to the point of even being mentioned in a brief discussion between broadcasters Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan after the AKA-trained welterweight grimaced while receiving treatment between rounds.

Koscheck via confirmed the guesswork on Sunday via Twitter, saying he was in Boston to have a broken orbital bone fixed and then planned to head home and recover.

The orbital bone is the socket in the skull where an individual’s eye is positioned. Though no official timetable has been mentioned for Koscheck’s return, past orbital fractures in MMA have generally resulted in at least sixty-day suspension from the ring.

While Koscheck may not be a fan-favorite, even his detractors can’t doubt his heart after suffering the painful injury in the bout’s opening round, then continuing to compete for the remainder of the match-up, even opting to decline the ringside physician questioning whether or not he wanted to keep going though he was clearly down on the judges scorecards at that point.

The decision loss was the fifth defeat of the Ultimate Fighter Season 1 alumnus’ career and broke a three-fight win streak. He holds past victories in the Octagon over respected adversaries such as Diego Sanchez, Chris Lytle, and Paul Daley.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• BigDave says:

To Bad his Jaw wasn’t wired shut!

Well-Done. Thumb up 33 Thumb down 10

• Rich S. says:

It was about the third round that I first realized it might be a broken orbital. With those orbital fractures, there is normally instant swelling.

That explains his total reluctance to fire back with any real offense of his own. He was hurt. I’m not the biggest fan of the guy, but I commend him for going 25 minutes with an injury he acquired in the first round. Even more impressive, he got GSP to the mat once or twice, and managed to stuff a few himself, which is always impressive when you’re standing across from the best wrestler in the world.

Well-Done. Thumb up 19 Thumb down 5

• mma.Australia says:

Yep, gutsy.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 13 Thumb down 6

• elkymbo says:

He’s still a dick.
    Here’s a question for you. Who the hell is going to take on GSP next?

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 3

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 9 Thumb down 24

• king mah mah says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 10 Thumb down 26

• elkymbo says:

Maybe he just wanted to punish him for being such a tool o king of all things mah mah. Ever think of that one?

Well-Done. Thumb up 15 Thumb down 5

• king mah mah says:

Oh yeah, I just became a Koscheck fan. Anyone that can go five rounds with a champion and one of the worlds best P4P fighters with a broken face deserves some respect. (even though he’s not all that respectful himself).

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 11 Thumb down 15

• king mah mah says:

No i didn’t think of that one especially since GSP himself said his goal was to finish him.

• king mah mah says:

Didn’t you hear GSP say that he wasn’t happy with his own performance because his goal was to finish the fight, and he didn’t reach his goal?

• king mah mah says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 3 Thumb down 22

• elkymbo says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 4 Thumb down 15

• king mah mah says:

Let’s put another shrimp on the barbie! LOL

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 7 Thumb down 16

• elkymbo says:

Done. I’ll bring the beers :)

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 4 Thumb down 13

• adamsfamily says:

From here, I agree that GSP should fight Jake shields.
    I would give Kos and Diego a rubber match next – If Diego won it would move him steadily up (though not to contensder status, as few of us really thought Kos was truly deserving of it)

On another tack – did anyone notice how thickly muscled GSP was. He looked like Jonny Trejo in ‘from dusk till dawn’

Shields then 185

• BigDave says:

Am I the only one that saw Shields gas after 1 round against Kampmann? Shields has even less of a chance at beating GSP then koscheck did. I think GSP has run through the 170 division and after dispatching Mr. Shields (in Toronto I hope) he will move to 185 and dominate there for the next 5 years atleast.

• Screenplaya says:

I don’t think Shields deserves the shot after one UFC fight and it being a split decision. I think the right thing would be to reward Carlos Condit for his KO of Hardy and have Condit and Shields fight for the right to take on GSP. It would be a battle between champions from other promotions, and would be an easy sell, I think.

And if GSP instead chooses to move up in weight and take on Anderson Silva, then the WW title would be contested by the Condit/Shields winner and the Fitch/Penn winner. I think Fitch would be a good champ after Georges moves up.

• hindsightufuk says:

just wish gsp had thrown at least one power shot, at least one attempt to finish you know? awesome performance and enjoyable to watch, but just try that kill shot every now and then. or maybe an upper cut, or a right hook, or hooks to the body.
    awesome that he can win a 25 minute fight with just a jab but i wanted to see him mix it up a little more

• Niv says:

Hey guys let’s not forget that Shields fight at 170 lbs against Kampman was his first at that weight in years. I think that it’s only natural that he would weaken after having to cut that weight. By now his body should be well adjusted for the weight he’ll fight at.

I personally think Shields is a very real threat and legitimate opponent for GSP, much more so than Kos will ever be. Take a very hard look at Shields resume, the guy is a hell of a fighter and personally I see this as a good challenge for GSP. Do I think Shields will win, no. But he has the skills and tools to do it.

hindsightufuk, actually GSP landed more than one heavy right hand in the fight, testament to Kos being tough is he was still there. Why risk getting caught going for broke when the fight is clearly in your hands and you’re just picking apart the guy making him look like a fool? GSP is at a different level because he doesn’t let ego get in the way of a gameplan that ‘s being executed to perfection.

• Creature says:

Im gonna agree with everything Niv just said, even tho i hate to admit it cuz i hate shields. mainly cuz Hendo is my favorite ffighter ;) but also all of you are saying josh is a dick, no hes not, he just acts that way to help sell fights and get his name out there, ppl remember nice guys, but EVERYONE remembers the assholes who stir things up. even joe rogan said kos is actually a nice intellegent guy

• redwire says:

@Creature – I’m not sure about the Kos is a good guy bit. I’m sure he’s cool around Rogan, but Rogan is a star in and out of the UFC. In the preview show, one of Kos’ high school wrestling coaches said that Koscheck was a prick. And he was one of the guys who was supposed to be on Josh’s side! He may be intelligent, and he’s definitely skilled and driven, but I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t want to have him come over for tea and scones.

• Creature says:

I understand what you mean, but how well do you think a wrestling coach really knows his wrestlers outside of practice and meets? in most cases not very much. i wrestled from 3rd grade-12th grade. i doubt any of my coaches knew the real me very well lol. and also the preview show is made to help the hype. he could have easily said that just to help with the hype.

• fanoftna33 says:

Creature, even though it was a lot of hype, I would bet a wrestling coach knows people better than you give credit for. They see how guys treat other people and other teamates every day, and if he coached Josh for 4 years thats a long time together.

• crane_style says:

Hindsightufuk, when you mean “one power shot”, do you mean like the kind Kos throws? Big looping punches with little chance of landing against some one with good footwork?

And I guess left hooks and kicks aren’t power shots? From a guy who can break your face with a jab?

GSP didn’t do this, GSP didn’t do that. blah blah blah.

I’m starting to think that all these ‘fans’ who keeping find fault in historically dominant performances by a dominant champion must have had their favorite fighter mauled by GSP at some point, and haven’t forgiven him. It isn’t just ignorance, it’s willful ignorance.

• Dufresne says:

MMA_LOGIC, I completely agree with you. GSP is a hell of a wrestler, but he’s not the best wrestler in the world. Just in the UFC you’ve got guys like Lesnar and Kos who are NCAA Division I wrestling champs, Hendo who’s an Olympic wrestler, Couture who’s an Olympic alternate, and a huge number of All American wrestlers including Cain and others. And outside the UFC you’ve got guys like King Mo who placed 7th in the world after winning a Division II championship and earning All-American honors in Division I. So no, GSP isn’t the best wrestler in MMA, but he could be the best MMA wrestler in the game.

As for who’s next, I gotta go with Shields also. He’s already faced and beaten everyone else in the division and the only WW with a legitimate claim would be Fitch, who’s shown minimal improvement since he got picked apart last time they fought. Shields had trouble making the weight cut last time in the UFC, but I doubt he’ll have that issue twice. He’s too smart and he knows he’ll have approximately zero margin of error if he’s stepping in the Octagon against GSP. I still think GSP will beat him, and I think GSP will do it using the same gameplan he just used on Kos to do it.

As for the original topic: I still hate Kos and I think he’s a classless bag of concentrated douche. But he’s tough. I’ve only seen him get knocked down once that I can remember, when he fought against Paulo Thiago (and that fight was stopped early btw), and he just proved it again by even coming out for the second round with a broken orbital, much less coming out for the next three rounds.

Big props for being such a game competitor and for having more class in defeat than I thought he had in his entire being.

• MMApride19 says:

@BigDave – Although i am not a massive fan of Jake Shields, i still have to respect his skill set. His ground game really is quite outstanding at times. In the striking department… you would never believe he was a professional mma fighter, as he looks like a complete amateur… however once he manages to take people to the ground, he really does impress me.

That being said, i dont think he will beat GSP, however i do believe that IF, and that is a BIG IF, he manages to take GSP down, and shows he can control him (which i honestly believe he is capable of doing), he has a very good chance of submitting GSP. Again i am not convinced it will happen, but you cant count anything out! Also judging by GSPs recent performances, i find it unlikely that he will be able to stop Shields via strikes (GSP really is a great technical striker, but he still fails to finish people… just makes a mess of there faces!). And we have all seen how much punishment Shields can take and quickly recover from it…

Im not going to judge Shields from his previous fight with Kampmann, as he did have to make a large cut, and it does take a while to adapt to different weight classes. But judging from what i have seen in previous fights, he is a worthy contender IMO, and is deserving of a title shot due to performances in other promotions – also he was brought to the UFC to fight GSP after all!

I am definetly looking forward to that match up, and i think he will do a far better job than Koscheck. What you see is what you get with Shields… his game plan will be simple… take down GSP and try and submit him… not stand with GSP and see how good GSP really is when striking (koscheck).

• Angry Mike says:

GSP will pick Shields apart. GSP’s only recent loss was to Serra, whose striking and power were better than GSP expected. GSP hasn’t been threatened by a fighter with a wrestling base since his loss to Matt Hughes six years ago. If Thiago Alves’ wrestling defense has improved, he’s more of a threat than anybody else I can think of because of his power. GSP beat him because he took Alves down almost at will. If Alves can keep it standing and land a solid punch or two, he has a chance.