Tim Sylvia replacing Todd Duffee at Titan Fighting Championships 16

Whether anticipating injury-related fallout from his bout against Alistair Overeem on New Year’s Eve, or simply a lack of turnaround time to prepare, it appears Todd Duffee has withdrawn his name from Titan Fighting Championships‘ upcoming event on January 28. The imposing 6-1 heavyweight had been slated to face TUF 10 alumnus Abe Wager on the Kansas City card.

However, the organization has wasted no time in finding a replacement for Duffee, as Five Ounces of Pain has been able to confirm with former UFC heavyweight champ Tim Sylvia that he will be stepping in to scrap with Wagner at the show. News of the potential replacement was first reported by MMAFA who learned of it during a conversation with Titan Fighting Championships’ head Joe Kelly.

The 28-6 Sylvia is currently riding a four-fight win streak with all of the victories coming as the result of strikes. Though his reputation has taken a number of hits over the past few years, the 6’8 striker’s accomplishments in the ring speaks for themselves with titles in the UFC and success in the Octagon against notable opponents like Andrei Arlovski, Brandon Vera, and Jeff Monson.

Wagner has won four of his last five bouts including a first-round knockout during an in-ring appearance last month. He is 7-3 overall in his career.

Titan Fighting Championship 16 is set to be broadcast on HDNet. In addition to Sylvia vs. Wagner, the card will also feature Jason High, L.C. Davis, and Drew McFedries in earlier action.

• cocoonofhorror says:

lame.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 7 Thumb down 13

• matt says:

This is about as good of a replacement that this organization could hope for. Tim is still a decent name in the MMA world and he is currently on a 4 fight win streak trying to earn another shot in the UFC. Both are stand up fighters and both are big heavy weights. They should put on an entertaining fight and both are known throughout the mma world. Wagner a former participant on TUF and Sylvia a former UFC heavy weight champion. Congrats Titan Fighting Championships for finding such a suitable replacement.

Well-Done. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 2

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

What a bunch of B.S.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 4 Thumb down 11

• MCM says:

I’m pretty sure Monte Cox manages both Sylvia and Duffee and that’s how they were so easily exchanged. I would have rather seen Sylvia step in against AO but a loss at this point would totally derail and momentum he has going.
    I know he wants back in the UFC, but I still think Timmay is a perfect candidate for the SF roster.

• ByronGiant says:

Mr. Sylvia, the rest of us tall fuckers salute you!

… yeah I’m a mark… and I’m OK with that.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“I would definitely like to get back in the UFC or Strikeforce. We have talked with Strikeforce but right now we don’t know what is happening right now. There is guys I want to fight in both shows…I would imagine Strikeforce would be better for me because they would be a little more lenient with me instead of locking me down,”
    -Tim Sylvia.

It sounds like he is more interested in SF because they don’t have exclusive contracts. Funny that.;)
    Unlike a lot of people I think Sylvia is still a top 15 fighter and capable of defeating many top fighters who don’t have top notch wrestling games like Dos Santos, Nog, Werdum, BigFoot, Mir, Kharitonov, Nelson, Struve, Rogers etc and I think he would easily be top 10 in either organisation and a real asset.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Just thought I would add that Wagner is 7-3 but half of those he has fought are in the the more loses(way more) than wins column and the other half can hardly be considered … good.
    Sylvia should destroy him via TKO in rd 1 or 2 but stranger things have happened.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

-Tim Sylvia.

He has a funny way of saying he wants back in the UFC.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Alright MMA-LOGIC-let the games begin-I guess I actually have to state something that pertains to the subject at hand -I have Big Tim losing by decision

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Sorry but it is just another case of a fighter opting out of the UFC, preferring not to have to sign another exclusive contract, saying so at the time he left and more recently and many who post here as seeing that as he was dropped, he sucks and is now trying to make it back into the UFC.
    That annoys me.

• MCM says:

“I would definitely like to get back in the UFC or Strikeforce.”

“When it comes to business, the best thing for Tim Sylvia right now is to be back in the UFC,” “They’re the biggest organization. They have the most money, the best fights.”

Do you want back in UFC or Strikeforce?:
    “Oh yeah, absolutely, yeah, no one’s (better than) the UFC and no one’s really going to be and anybody who tries to be goes out of business. So, let’s just come to the fact that nobody’s going to be as good as UFC and stop trying to pretend that you’re going to be. No one’s going to be as good as NFL football, you know, that’s just the way it is. You get your NFL and you have everything else. You get the UFC and you get everything else. That doesn’t mean that there’s not quality fighters out there and there’s not good fights going on and good shows but let’s just not try to be the UFC because no one can be.”

I don’t think Tim sucks, and as I stated before, I think he’d be best in Strikeforce. But the man would love to be back in the UFC. If the UFC doesn’t come calling and SF does, of course he’s gonna jump at the chance to fight for SF. But if Coker never calls and Dana does, he’d be just as happy fighting for the UFC. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to fight in either org as they both have competitive fights for him.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

He said the UFC is the biggest and best. Really!!!?. Talk about stating the obvious. He also said he would prefer SF in the very same interview didn’t he?.
    It sounds to me that if both were to offer the same amount of money he would be a SF HW.
    He did say “Strikeforce would be better for me because they would be a little more lenient with me instead of locking me down,” and ” … there is a lot of things you can’t do when you fight for the UFC. With Strikeforce I could probably fight more often, the UFC has so many top guys now that they are only fighting twice a year and I don’t want to do that…I want to fight Overeem, Fedor again, Werdum is a good fight and me and Rogers would be a good fight.”.
    His words not mine.
    So when you left out the fact that he wants to be in SF too and would prefer that option I got confused. it is just that if I got $1 every time guys like you insinuated that someone wants to be in the UFC (Melendez most recently) but never signs or actually said that was what they really wanted, I would be a rich man. All it takes is for a fighter to be asked what they think of the UFC and no matter what the answer is it is seen to be a whole hearted desire to be in the UFC, in fact the UFC doesn’t even have to be mentioned and somehow it is seen to be a sign that they might be headed for the UFC.
    Tim has stated he would like to be in SF or the UFC but as it stands he would prefer SF because of the nature of the UFC contracts. True, he said the UFC is the biggest and best, that’s because he is not an idiot. That is like saying that snow is cold.

• LiverPunch says:

I think Sylvia will be back in the big time before long and I do think SF will be his choice.
    Although he did say that the UFC was the best choice for him well over a year ago I think he has changed his mind and likes the idea of fighting in SF and Dream along with other smaller companies. I do think all fighters given the choice would rather not sign the exclusive contract as long as their careers and wallet did not suffer. I also don’t think his manager and the UFC get along too well and SF has had a reasonable relationship with Cox in the past.
    I expect both Duffee and Sylvia to be fighting for SF and Dream in 2011 but you never know.
    If he does join SF he will have plenty of top opponents to fight and be in the mix of a HW division that rivals any other. Sylvia , Kharitonov , Fedor , Werdum , Duffee , Overeem , Barnett , Silva , Arlovski , Rogers , Cormier , Lashley , V.Overeem and Del Rosario is a pretty good HW division if you ask me. If we could just get them to fight each other on a regular basis it would be fantastic.

• Sykotick says:

Snows not cold, its actually an insulator, its the weather that’s cold, just an FYI lol, but now for the contract debate, how many times has Overeem fought this year? More than a few? Good for him, now how many times has he defended his belt? Just once? Wow that’s good business practices by strikeforce, yeah if the non exclusive contracts didn’t make the mma game look like a joke it would be cool

• stone says:

Tim could easily be the SF champ… Other than Fedor I really don’t see any real threat. I’d put $$$ on him over Bigfoot, Rogers, werdum & the Reem… In the UFC I can see him beating Schaub, Big Country, Struve, and most of the other HW bottom dwellers, hell even Nog (let’s face it, hadn’t he jumped in Nog’s guard, he wouldve KO’d him)… I think TS would be a good top 5 gate keeper

Sylvia should realize half the HW’s in SF barely are active to begin with so he might as well just keep running around the smaller regionals and just get hs pay checks and keep it moving… or go ahead and sign with SF fight once and sit on the side lines for a year waiting for them to figure out what’s next…

• MCM says:

Don’t get confused, LOGIC, I just hadn’t read that interview until you brought it to my attention. But I wasn’t insinuating that he wanted back in the UFC, he actually said he want’s back in the UFC. I think it’s smart to express interest in both orgs as it can only help in negotiations with either company.

As for Exclusive Contracts, every major U.S. and most Canadian orgs have exclusive contracts. Bellator, Strikeforce, MFC, even Shine fights. The difference between them and the UFC is that they are only North American MMA exclusive where as the UFC is wolrd wide combat sport exclusive. Sylvia has always wanted to fight in Japan and that’s one of the reasons he prefers Strikeforce. But even if he signed with SF and they kept him on the shelf for a year, he couldn’t take a fight with Shark fights or MFC or any other org in North America without getting approval from SF.
    That’s why someone like Overeem would never consider signing with the UFC, cause of his K-1 career. But someone like Sylvia, who doesn’t compete professionally outside of MMA would if he could get enough fights a year at the right pay.

I just wish I had a dollar for every time someone insinuated that only the UFC has exclusive contracts. ;)

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Good point and well said MCM-watching Apocalypse now and coming to the conclusion that Tim Sylvia can beat any heavyweight on any given day

• MCM says:

Tim Sylvia was in Apocalypse Now?! :o

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I wish I had a dollar for every major US company that will not allow it’s fighters to fight anywhere else and is not open to co-pro. Then I would have 1 fucking dollar wouldn’t I !?.

• Sykotick says:

You’d also have ONE company that doesn’t have to worry about its champs defending their titles coming off of losses in their divisions, wouldn’t you? AND you’d also have a company that doesn’t have to worry about scheduling a title fight at the convenience of its fighters other promised fights right? Also you’d have a company that doesn’t have to worry about its fighters not being able to fight due to injuries while fighting outside of its ring. Now if only there was a company like that, that ran a clean business and was smart enough to make sure that its fighters couldn’t get hurt in other orgs, and made sure their champs where available to defend their titles st the company’s convenience, oh wait, we do, its called the UFC

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Hey I wont argue that the UFC does a good job at what you have described (more or less) sykotic but why argue that it prevents half of the worlds best MMA guys from fighting the other half.
    Everyone always uses the “we dont want it to turn out like boxing” line. Well to me that is nonsense. The first reason being that sure some fights don’t take place in the boxing world BUT they can take place. In MMA they can’t. People always use Mayweather vs Pacman, to which I say that is not just the average fight. There is no equivalent in MMA and the closest you could come to it would be GSP vs Anderson Silva and even though a lot of fans would love to see that fight and they are both in the UFC, it hasn’t happened. The 2nd reason is that boxing is in bad shape now but it has had over 100 years to get to the point it is now. We have had golden ages of boxing and absolutely fantastic times along the way. MMA has never had a golden age and has done something that boxing never really did and that is that the UFC and others are preventing a large potion (perhaps the majority in more than 1 weight class) from fighting the rest of the worlds best fighters. Now why that is a problem for me is because it does not happen in any other sport I know and I want the best to prove they are the best first and then fight then be able to fight WHOEVER is next not just who Joe Silva offers them. Now you can say 2 teams from Chicago in different divisions don’t play each other and bla bla but if those 2 teams have the best players they will be able to compete at world cups or the Olympic games or whatever. MMA is the ONLY sport in the world where some of the very best are prevented by law from competing in one way or another. It is unique (as far as I know). Imagine if in tennis Federer had never played Nadal or Sampras never played Agassi.
    So lets just pretend that boxing started out the way MMA has. I don’t know if any of you are boxing fans but just try and imagine this …

Tyson vs Hollyfield 2
    Duran vs Leonard 1+2
    Ali vs Frazier 1+2
    Lamotta vs Robinson 1-6
    Tunney vs Dempsy 1+2
    Pacquiao vs Mayweather Jr
    Ali vs Spinks 1+2
    Ali vs Foreman

… never happened. Why you ask? because Ali, Tyson, Lamotta, Tunney, Mayweather and Duran were under an exclusive contract that prevented the fights from happening. A lot of people can’t see that this is taking place, well I’m afraid that it is. Fedor vs Valasquez springs to mind and Diaz vs GSP, Mousasi vs Shogun, Silva vs Jacare, Melendez vs Alvarez are just a few of this generation we as fans will be robbed of for example, I wonder how many truly great match ups and fights of the decade or even century we will miss out on or have already missed out on because the UFC and others such as Bellator lock fighters down. Think about it. Can you honestly say that you DON’T want the best to be able to compete and can honestly say that you DON’T want UFC and non-UFC fighters to fight each other. If not why don’t you try and make it happen by disapproving of contracts that do just that. Sure there will be sacrifices but there always is when freedom is introduced. People who are not controlled and are free don’t always do what we want them to.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

greatest movie of all time- closest that comes next is the Godfather trilogy-no Timmy wasn’t in it-good looking out-I am just glad to see Sylvia get a fight

• MMA-LOGIC says:

FYI
    Snow is frozen sykotik. Snow has to be below freezing level to be snow. The weather produces snow because it is cold but that doesn’t mean snow isn’t cold. Snow is a good insulator but this doesn’t mean it isn’t cold it is frozen water after all. It makes a good insulator because of the air it traps when clumped together. Snow is ice dude. Just for your information.
    I hope you were kidding.
    Sylvia even said so.

• Sykotick says:

While the weather is cold, snow like I said is an insulator, that’s why people that get caught in avalanches don’t freeze to death, they tend tp die cause they can’t breathe. Eskimos used to put snow in their bags and put them on their backs to keep warm, so yeah, there’s your FYI

• Sykotick says:

Ps snow is actually frozen water vapor, the gas form of water, like the moisture in the air, cuz frozen water is actually ice, not snow but anyways, I don’t like that the fighters can’t fight eachother cuz of contracts but I’m not big on the idea of a bunch of governing bodies either, I think if all the fightwrs were in one company it would be better for the sport kind of like the NFL NBA or mlb PR nhl whatever your sport be. But that system doesn’t work well with combat sports so we are stuck with the system we have now, so I watch it all

• LiverPunch says:

Wait , you don’t think snow is cold?.
    Snow is frozen water sykotik. Water vapor condenses into tiny droplets and freezes into crystals called snow. It is not frozen gas it is frozen water molecules and is a form of ice. It is a lot more complicated than I have out lined but that is the general idea. The reason why it is a good insulator has little to do with it’s temp and more to do with air being trapped in between, like foam insulation. Insulation does not have to be warm or cold by definition.

• bigbadjohn says:

Guys, guys, guys! It snowed last night! you know what THAT MEANS RIGHT?? I went out and felt it! it WAS COLD!!! Now that may have been relative to my hand temperature but I can’t imagine mine’s much warmer than any of yours. Myth: BUSTED

• MMA-LOGIC says:

He must live in Florida or Hawaii, have NatGeo and has watched a docco about polar bears or something.

• Sykotick says:

Lol close logic, I live in Texas, and its not water it is more closely related to dry ice which is frozen co2.

• LiverPunch says:

Well for 1 dry ice is really , really , really cold and for 2 the definitions of snow i just found are Wiki

-Snow is a type of precipitation within the Earth’s atmosphere in the form of crystalline water ice, consisting of a multitude of snowflakes that fall from clouds. Since snow is composed of small ice particles, it is a granular material. It has an open and therefore soft structure, unless packed by external pressure. Snowflakes come in a variety of sizes and shapes. Types which fall in the form of a ball due to melting and refreezing, rather than a flake, are known as graupel, with ice pellets and snow grains as examples of graupel. Snowfall amount and its related liquid equivalent precipitation amount are determined using a variety of different rain gauges.

and wordnetweb which simply says

-precipitation falling from clouds in the form of ice crystals
    a layer of snowflakes (white crystals of frozen water) covering the ground.

I don’t think you are serious because all you have to do is look it up and you will see that what you are saying is really dumb, really , really dumb. Snow is a form of precipitation like rain, hail and sleet. You can’t be this stubborn or stupid , can you?. Do yourself a favor and go see snow and also try and know what the hell you are talking about.
    It isn’t water? nobody is that naive , not even little children.