Lyman Good confirmed for Bellator Season 4 Welterweight Tournament

While the bulk of the bunch participating in Bellator Fighting Championships’ upcoming welterweight tournament will simply be targeting 170-pound champion Ben Askren’s belt, former title-holder Lyman Good appears as interested in avenging last season’s loss to Askren as he is once again strapping gold around his waist. Good’s involvement in this March’s tournament was officially announced today in a press release from Bellator.

“Being able to fight [Ben] Askren again was one of the biggest factors behind me entering this tournament. I can’t walk away from an opportunity to avenge a loss to a person that I know deep down – with the proper amount of preparation – I can beat,” said Good. “But right now there are three bodies I’m going to have to get through before I focus on somebody that’s walking around with something that belongs to me.”

Other individuals slated for action in the tournament include Dan Hornbuckle, Rick Hawn, Brent Weedman, and Chris “The Assassin” Lozano.

“At just 25-years-old, Lyman has the talent, potential and the heart to climb back up the Bellator welterweight ladder and recapture the Title,” said Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney. “However, he’s going to have to go through one of the most stacked welterweight tournaments in the history of the sport to do it.”

Good’s loss to Askren was the first of his career. He holds a 10-1 record with five TKOs to his credit.

I love this format of MMA! Bellator will be # 2 by years end… MTV2 will hopefully do good #’s and fingers crossed MTV will start doing the replays and by next season take on the live events, If the fans support BFC the possibliites with mainstream media via MTV are endless. I hope for the best for BFC they have there own lane that there cruising down I just hope they keep building upon what they are doing right and don’t let anything get in the way of them doing there thing.

• Guthookd says:

OK Lyman. Have you been wrestling a lot? If not, sit it out.

Your takedown defense was non-existent last time out. Even when Ben went for the weakest shot he could muster you still just folded right up and went to you back. SPRAWL! If you had sprawled more you would have won…..look at what you did to him with those few shots you did land while on the feet…you fucked him up.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I hope you are wrong Rece. The last thing we need is the 2 most exclusive contract centered promotions(UFC and BFC) being 1 and 2. I don’t think it will happen anyway.
    Personally I hope they fold unless they stop using exclusive contracts so much. Why? Hector Lombard, Eddie Alverez, Jay Heiron etc. They don’t fight top fighters in BFC and are stuck there. Those fighters should be able to mix it with the worlds best. I don’t expect my comment to last but if BFC folded I would be much happier. You guys may be happy having the world of MMA cut into 3 with no co-pro but I want MMA to be like every other sport on the planet and have the best competing. Call me crazy.

• Guthookd says:

“I want MMA to be like every other sport on the planet and have the best competing”
    -Logic

Like Boxing?

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Yeah what boxing needs is fighters prevented from fighting each other. What your point is i do not know. It is better to have it impossible than probable? Is that it?. Last i checked the worlds best in boxing were able to compete and 99 percent of the time they do in not 1 division but in multiple divisions. Boxing is in a mess but it has had 100 years of the best mixing it up. MMA has had less than 10. So yes every other sport on the planet. MMA is the only sport where the best CANT compete and you guys want to make it worse?. It is going to be great when there are 50 exclusive contract orgs and they stop all of the top 50 fighting. Right?.

• MCM says:

“Personally I hope they fold unless they stop using exclusive contracts so much. Why? Hector Lombard, Eddie Alverez, Jay Heiron etc. They don’t fight top fighters in BFC and are stuck there. Those fighters should be able to mix it with the worlds best. ” – MMA LOGIC

You mean like Strikeforce does? Like when Bellator wanted Alverez to fight Melendez and then suggested that it could be possible for Bellator and Strikeforce to do a champion vs champion card but Coker said no, that SF’s exclusive contract prevented it? Or when Jay Heiron was under contract with SF and asking to fight Diaz and instead they refused to renew his contract so now he has to fight guys like Hornbuckle, Good, and Hawn. Yeah, stupid Bellator.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Oh wait you are saying is Bellator is the guys that co-pro? With who?. Where is this info that Coker has turned down a co-pro?. All I have heard is that they are negotiating and it is not going all that well. Does that mean co-pro is bad and it would be better if they didn’t?.
    If Bellator let Alverez and Lombard fight in Japan I would have no probs but they only fight for Bellator in the US against Bellator fighters.
    Heiron has nothing to do with it. What the hell does he have to do with exclusive contracts being good?. Yes he had contract probs with SF, so what?. You have lost me.
    What are you getting at MCM? I said Bellator is the 2nd most exclusive contract based org out there which they are. I said Lombard is trapped there, which he is along with Alverez and others.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

By the way SF does not have exclusive contracts. They have contracts where you fight for SF in the US but overseas you are free. Bellator fighters like Lombard only fight in the US for Bellator (exclusively), like the UFC fighters fight for the UFC (exclusively). Like I tried to say before, be careful what you wish for. We might have 50 exclusive contract companies start up and none of the top fighters in MMA will ever fight.
    How the hell you got Coker and Rebney not negotiating a co-pro was SF’s fault because of it’s exclusive contracts is strange dude. If Bellator wanted SF to co-pro they should have been a little more diplomatic instead of saying SF wont return my calls. I hope it can still happen but when you are Bellator and you have the most to gain from something it pays not to completely kill the whole idea by trying to humiliate the guy you are trying to negotiate with by publicly calling him a liar. If anyone has completely killed the possibility it was Rebney.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“After the fight had finished, Hieron’s contract with Strikeforce was completed, prompting Hieron to immediately call for demands should he sign a new one. The demands included a shot at champion Nick Diaz and guaranteed television spots.”
    -Wiki.

So Hieron wanted guaranteed TV spots and a shot at Diaz INCLUDED in his contract. Hmmm I wonder why they couldn’t come to terms. I have never heard of any fighter with a title shot and TV time included in their contract, have you? would the UFC give him that? would the UFC give anyone that?. They had a fight with Diaz scheduled but Diaz didn’t turn up for a drug test and the fight was canned. Strikeforce did push the fight but his demands of TV spots and title shots stopped any signing. Hieron could have fought overseas but didn’t. Why? I don’t know why but I do know he can’t now. It is Bellator fighters only until his contract is done. Diaz can fight anywhere in the world against anyone he wants except in the USA where he has to fight for SF.

• BigDave says:

Logic you really need a wake up call. You are stuck on stupid with this arguement. The UFC is the leader in MMA and thats not an opinion its simple fact. Bellator is fast rising to the number 2 spot and will soon take that from Strikefarce in north america. Dream and K-1 are also better then strikefarce on a global scale.

Strikefarce is desperate now and they need this tourney they are having to finish with a fight between Fedor and Overeem to stay afloat. Any other scenario and Strikefarce doesen’t see 2012.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

“UFC is the leader in MMA and thats not an opinion its simple fact.”

No shit. WTF are you stating the painfully obvious for?. The UFC has been the biggest for the last 5 years and I have said this many times. To argue that it isn’t is insane, to say that they have all of the top 5 HWs is dumb. it seems some are stuck there but not me. If I just completely dismissed top tens from all over the world and opinions of top MMA analysts and said that SF does not have any top 5s, you could say I was stuck on fucking stupid.
    I don’t think Bellator will become no.2 but it may happen. If they do become no.2 it will be very bad for MMA fans. Do you want the UFC LHW division to become weaker?. Do you want all of Sfs and the UFCs divisions to get watered down? Do you want all of the best able to compete?. MMA will be completely divided into 3. Just imagine this. take the top 10 from every division (not your bias fucked up top 10 Dave, the real top 10) and divide it into 3 and put the odd 1 out into a fourth company. Now pretend that they never fight each other and say to yourself “gee I hope this happens, I hope we never get to see who the best is, I really, really hope top fighters never fight in the future, I really want MMA to become the only sport in the world that has the top 4 or 5 fighters in the world unable to fight each other”. Now you say I need to wake up. I’m wide awake and I know that as it stands we have Alvarez, Edgar and Melendez unable to fight and that is really bad, I think they may well be the top 3 in the world and they can’t compete. Why can’t they? because of exclusive contracts and the failure or unwillingness of companies to co-pro. So tell me guys, is that what you want, more and more companies dividing MMA up until we have a situation where no top fighters can fight?. If that IS what you want, then fuck you, go and ruin another sport and leave this one alone because I love MMA and I don’t want it to be made into a joke, if it isn’t what you want WAKE UP! exclusive contracts and companies not co-promoting is robbing us of knowing who is the best, having a ranking system that works, the epic fights like Frasier vs Ali and on and on. Now before any of you say that boxing is flawed again, yes it is but in boxing if there were exclusive contracts Paquiao and Mayweather could not fight, that is right the law would prevent it and they would not have fought more than just a few of the top guys they have beaten in the past. think about it (for once) if boxing did have exclusive contracts it would be ruined completely. You guys make the FOOLISH mistake that exclusive contracts mean that fighters will fight each other. It is exactly the the opposite in reality, it insures (by law) that certain fighters can’t fight. Now Dave you assume that you are psychic and know that the top 5 in MMA is in the UFC, well if we had less exclusive contracts and more co-pro you wouldn’t have to rely on your super-human abilities or 6th sense and you would be able to witness who is better like all of us who don’t have your incredible perception do, in reality, live on PPV. Fedor vs Valasquez would be a great fight and the thought of it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up but you guys don’t want to see it? you don’t want the best able to fight each other? you want it to get worse?. I do not get it. Why the hell would you want more and more top fighters unable to fight?. Why?.
    If there was 1 company that held ALL of the top 25 fighters in the world I would love exclusive contracts but there are 5 or so major companies at the moment who all have a few top fighters and then there is SF who has half of the top 25 fighters in a couple of divisions and the UFC that has more than half in 3 or more divisions. IT SUCKS NOW! why do you want it to get worse?. You guys know the best can’t compete and are not only OK with that but you want it to get worse? WTF?. I do not understand MMA fans that want more and more top fighters being prevented from fighting. Please tell me why you want less top fightesr to fight each other.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

By the way Big “delusional” Dave.
    BFC is rumored to be in big financial trouble not SF. If you bother to look it up. SF is going just fine. Having said that I notice you are not big on facts. In BigDave world is there unicorns?.
    As for you MCM this is a good article “The Intricacies of Strikeforce and Bellator Joining Forces”.
    I want it to happen but if Rebney does too, he is not going the right way about it.

• bigbadjohn says:

I’ll take UFC and Bellator with their exclusive contracts, Logic. The reason being: Other major sports which you have pointed out where the best compete with the best also have #1 and #2 leagues based upon exclusive contracts. The superior league thrives and can afford the best competitors while the other looks for a limited number of marquee names to market by giving into massive contracts, profit-sharing and perhaps co-promotion. Ultimately, this takes away from their potential as a league to grow, sign new talent, promote, etc. Unfortunately, it’s not storybook fairy-tale, not everyone gets to co-exist. The NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, and the UFC (hopefully, for the fan’s sake).

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I) they are team sports and all of the best in America compete in the same league. 2) World cups, OLYMPICS and other comps allow them to compete against the best from other leagues.3)
    “Other major sports which you have pointed out where the best compete with the best also have #1 and #2″ No they don’t. Are you trying to tell me that 99.9% of the best Baseball players in America don’t play in the MLB?. All of those sports you have named have 99% of the best players playing in 1 league with the other leagues( in the US) sharing players that didn’t make it or are past it. The UFC has 60% of the worlds best. Some of the worlds top 10 are not in the UFC and can not compete against them. Arguably the very best are not in the UFC. The UFC fighters do not compete against 40% (approx) of the worlds best. Tell me would you prefer it if the NBA had 60% of the best and the players were never allowed to compete against other, no internationals or OLYMPICS?.
    I have stated this over and over but I keep getting the same excuses.
    John the UFC has only been the biggest for 5 years and is far from having any kind of dominance like the NBA etc. There are more top 20 HWs out of the UFC than in it and arguably the very best are not in it. How many major Basketball leagues are in the US? and don’t fuck around there is only 1 the NBA. In MMA there are 2 major leagues and others such as Shark fights, Bellator all taking a few of the top fighters. There will never be 1 big league in the world for MMA, never. If there was I would have no probs but there isn’t and the world of MMA is cut in half for now. 1 half can’t fight the other half. Am I happy about that? F#CK NO. The UFC has only held such restrictive contracts for the last 8 years but was willing to share its fighters up until 2006. For some reason people are defending the use of exclusive contracts as 1 of the reasons the UFC is so powerful and a reason why MMA is in a good position. Well I say MMA is in the worst position it has been in for 10 years because fighters can’t fight now and it is getting worse. I want the best able to compete, do you?(I will assume you do). Well exclusive contracts and no co-pro stops it. Don’t say in some imaginary world the UFC will be the only league, it wont and don’t be so naive to think SF is the B division, it isn’t. So unless they co-pro we will miss out on so very much. I don’t get it. DO YOU WANT THE BEST FIGHTERS IN THE WORLD ABLE TO COMPETE?. If the answer is yes YOU DON’T WANT EXCLUSIVE CONTRACTS because YOU CAN’T HAVE BOTH!.

• BigDave says:

Actually there is a way for all the best fighters to fight each other and that is for them to knuckle up sign with the ufc and actually test themselves against the true tops in MMA and not settle for being the champ of a lesser company that has ZERO number one in the world fighters. Dana White may be an ass but he has said it time and again if you want to fight the best then sign on the dotted line if not go away(not nessecarily in those words but you get the drift.)

Its a bit off topic but It is like fighters saying they won’t fight a guy in there own camp for his title because they are friends. MMA is an individual sport and if you are not willing to fight the best to prove your skills then go the fuck away.

The ball is in the fighters court if they are offered an opertunity to fight in the best organization with the top fighters and decide to go else where then that is entirely on them not the UFC. So you can keep going on about how no co-pro is a bad thing and Ill continue to watch the best fighters in the world fight in the only Company that really matters and that is the UFC.

• bigbadjohn says:

If UFC has 60% the best fighters in the world as you say and I agree it is an accurate asessment, that leaves 40% divided amongst many organizations. Even an over estimation of strikeforce’s talents, say 30%, would TO ME obvioudly suggest that there IS a heiarchy in MMA. UFC: A ; SF: B (etc.). I like BigDave’s thoughts on fighters striving to compete among the best also.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

The UFC doesn’t have the best fighters in the world Dave.
    It has some that could be argued are the best but they are not allowed to fight the best from out of the UFC to get any kind of proof. So people that have their eyes open can see that the UFC not only can not prove it’s fighters are better it is highly questionable if they are in fact better given the evidence, their failure to fight non-UFC fighters and the fact that they are carefully … created, shall we say (Carwins opponents have a combined record of 87-62 thats almost a ratio of 9 wins for every 7 losses). If the UFC has the best lets see them prove it. all they would have to do is allow their fighter to fight once in a co-pro and it would all be solved. they wont because the last few times they did it in Pride their best fighters lost and for a while the illusion that the UFC had the best was shattered. Chuck Liddell got beaten by 1 of many all competing for a shot at Wanderlei. They haven’t let their top fighters fight out of the UFC since.
    You guys can’t grasp the idea that we don’t know that the UFC has the best. It has fighters that are marketed as the best but they only fight other UFC fighters so how can you say they are better than non-UFC fighters. Your attacks on fighters for not joining up with the UFC is so very flawed because the main reason they don’t is because of the UFCs exclusive, restrictive contracts. they don’t want to be controlled and told what to do or who to talk to and what to say. They want to fight who they want and in K1 or sambo, in Japan or Holland. These fighters want to fight the best in the world but apart from GSP where and who the best tin the world is is very much up for debate. Fedor was the best in the world for over 5 years and the UFC top HWs all wanted to face him and a few even left the UFC or tried (Randy) to face him.
    Lets just say if you were no.1 in the world for 5 years and then you lost to a non-UFC fighter, does that mean that UFC fighters are better?. How about if you are a former UFC champion, you win your last 3 in a row in the UFC, you leave and win against 2 guys headed for the UFC, you then lose to three guys that have never been in the UFC including the best HW that has ever fought, does that mean that UFC fighters are better?.
    The idea that the UFC houses all of the best fighters in the world is false. It does not prove it. The evidence of successful UFC fighters leaving and struggling and non-UFC fighters joining and dominating suggests otherwise too. I can not say that the UFC does not have the best and I can not say it does with any certainty. Neither can you. I’ll say it again, I want to see the best compete do you?. The UFC is never going to be the only company in MMA and in my opinion it’s days at no.1 are numbered (not because it is a bad company) but besides that it does not hold all of the best now and neither does Bellator. I want to see the best compete and I watch the sport (any sport) for that reason.
    The UFC has about 60% (approx) of the worlds top talent now. A few years ago it had 70-75%. In a couple of years it will have 50% and then 40%, 30% whilst Bellator and others take more and more market share. One day somethings going to give, I hope it isn’t the sport of MMA and is just the exclusive contracts that some companies employ.

• BigDave says:

You will never get it Logic so there is no point in trying to explain it to you. There is not 1 ranking out there anywhere that does not have the majority of there top 10 including every number 1 in every division from the UFC. So yes the ufc does have the best fighters in the world, not speculation but fact. Strikefarce even Had to setup up there tourney to have Fedor vs. Overeem in there semi-final just to give them a better chance to have the only HW fight that anyone wants to see in SF. And I don’t think even doing that will happen as I can see Werdum beating Overeem very easily if he takes it to the ground. SF can’t get fighters to defend there titles and lets face it, if They can’t get a fight betwwen Fedor and overeem before fedor loses or overeem loses then SF will not have any drawing power and will fold in less then a year. Then we will see these so called top fighters outside the UFC have really no choice but to sign with the UFC to finally prove where the fit in MMA. UFC is the Show the rest are just the minor leagues.

• Dufresne says:

I agree with you completely here, if you’re the one with something to gain you should play nice. The problem is that even if they had played nice, I don’t see Coker making Melendez v Alvarez either in the US or outside it. SF had nothing to gain from that fight at that point while BFC could have gained a rather large feather in their cap if Alvarez were to win.

These days, with BFC’s stock and prominence in MMA having risen so far in such a short time, it might be possible. Before you had a promotion that had a pretty clear claim to the #2 spot in North America being offered a co-promotion fight in which their most dominant champion would be facing the champion of a much smaller promotion. And because anything can happen in MMA they faced the possibility of their champion losing to the smaller promotion.

I can imagine from Coker’s viewpoint it was a pretty simple decision, “If Melendez wins, he beat the champ of an upstart promotion. Big deal. But if Melendez loses, he just lost to the champ of an upstart promotion, which could make our entire LW division look like shit.” Would you risk the reputation of your company to satisfy a small part of your market?

Now however, we have SF as the #2 and BFC clearly at #3 and still gaining. If Melendez were to lose to Alvarez now, it wouldn’t be that big of a blow to SF or that large of a gain to BFC and vice versa.

As for how they would actually get the co-promotion going, I have no idea. SF fighters are free to fight with other promotions when outside the US, but Bellator and SF both promote fights solely inside the US. I don’t know if they could put together some kind of joint venue in the US with amendments to the participating fighters contracts that would allow it or if they’d need to find some other way of getting the ball rolling. All I know is that I would love to see the fight someday, hopefully soon.