Shinya Aoki considering retirement after New Year’s knockout

Every fighter reacts differently after falling in the ring. Some respond with extra dedication in the gym, others with a weekend of late-night partying. After Shinya Aoki’s devastating knockout loss to kickboxer Yuichiro Nagashima in a “special rules” bout at “Dynamite!! Power of Courage” the colorful grappler did neither. In fact, he apparently thought about hanging his spandex up for good.

News that Aoki contemplated retiring from MMA to focus purely on teaching for DEEP in Japan was reported by MMAFight where it was also explained he changed his Twitter account after being harassed by fans.

However, the submission-savvy lightweight is known for being a very emotional fighter and hasn’t come close to announcing anything official at this point in time. Though the New Year’s Eve defeat was undoubtedly a set-back in Aoki’s career, he had won three consecutive fights prior to the performance and holds an overall record of 26-5. Aoki is widely considered to be one of the top 155-pounders in MMA based on his otherworldly Jiu-Jitsu and past victories over opponents like “J.Z.” Cavalcante, Joachim Hansen, Vitor Ribeiro, Tatsuya Kawajiri, and Eddie Alvarez.

• MCM says:

Aoki is a dick. A one trick pony dick. But a one trick pony dick that wins.
    Getting KO’d by a professional kickboxer is no reason to retire. For god sakes he’s not even 30 yet. I admit that I loved watching him get his lights shut off, but I also love watching him pull off those amazing submissions. I don’t think he’d dominate in the US the way he does in overseas, but the guy is still extremely talented and has at least 5 more years in him at the top of the LW division in Japan.

• fanoftna33 says:

I dont think he should be to ashamed it wasnt even a real MMA fight that he lost. Just like Nagashima shouldnt have felt to bad if he got subbed because he isnt a MMA fighter. He is a great talent so hopefully he comes back, but if not there are going to be some monster grapplers coming out of his school in a few years.

• Angry Mike says:

Just a thought, but maybe he could get into the gym and learn to strike rather than quitting. On this side of the Pacific fighters understand that they have to learn new skills to be competitive in MMA.

Well-Done. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 0

• Guthookd says:

I don’t know if any of you guys saw the fight, but what he should be ashamed of is the bullshit he pulled for the whole first round. It was stand up for the first, MMA rules for the second, and he spend the whole first round stalling and falling on the ground on purpose.

He got what he had coming in the first 2 second of the second round. It was absolutely satisfying after that crap he pulled in the first round.

If you don’t want to kickbox for even one single round then you shouldn’t agree to a K1/MMA mixed rules bout.

Well-Done. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 0

• cocoonofhorror says:

he really does need to retire. he is VASTLY over-rated. i cant think of any 155ers in the UFC that he could handle to be honest. his standup is a joke. he is a joke. sure i enjoy watching his lame crybaby ass get shitcanned by a can from time to time, but i cant selfishly hope he keeps fighting when he clearly doesnt have the heart for it.

• FightFan313 says:

I think he should suck it up and expand his game

• cocoonofhorror says:

if he could expand his game, he would have by now. he has 1 skill and does not have the athletic ability to be a competent striker. in other words, he sucks.

• 3OAM says:

He always takes losses extremely harshly…like too harshly. He’s an emotional little dude. He needs to chill out a little bit and learn some stand up. Get back on the horse.

• LiverPunch says:

What the hell are you haters talking about?. He beat Alvarez , Kawajiri , Hansen , JZ , Hirota , Aurelio , Sotiropoulos and Ribeiro. I think Couture is overrated because he had 6 or 7 title shots within 10 fights but why are people saying Aoki is overrated?. He is 1 of 2 guys ever to have victories over top 5 Alvarez and has victories over many other top 10s and top 20s. The guy has BJJ skills as good as or better than any fighter in MMA in my opinion. His stand up sucks but so does Shields’. He is not overrated at all , he has earned his ranking.
    I was glad to see him get a knee to the melon after his pathetic performance in the K1 rules rd because it was perfect irony , being that it was straight after the bell in the MMA rules rd but I can’t ignore or discredit his victories. I’m not 1 to say UFC fighters would beat this guy or that guy because I hate that crap. I don’t know if Aoki would be any good in the UFC or if UFC fighters would do well in Japan. I do know that Alvarez , Kawajiri , JZ , Uno , Sotiropoulos and some of his other victories were against some of the best there is or was anywhere in the world , that includes the UFC.
    He is being a big baby though. He is embarrassed about his performance and rightfully so. I hope he doesn’t retire and this dose of humility is not wasted. Aoki fighting is good for MMA.

• hindsightufuk says:

agree with LiverPunch

to say he couldnt handle any ufc 155er is beyond ridiculous

Aoki should have considered retiring after fighting Gilbert if he was going to retire based upon level of embarrasement… this fight was mixed K-1/MMA rules, I would have been more embarrased losing a fight in my genre. I would have been even more embarrased when my fans used the excuse that a cage effects his performance in comparison to fighting in a ring… theres a difference but seriously ?!? His loss to Gilbert had nothing to do with a cage.

Aoki has a limited arsenal and in the top 10 of the LW Division he would be bringing a knife to a gun fight.

p.s. I

p.s. I am not saying he isn’t a top notch submission fighter but if he can’t sub you then you pretty much got him beat cause what else is he going to do?

• MCM says:

Win by Unanimous Decision like he did against Aurelio, Riberio, Uno, and JZ.

• PsYc0tIkDrEaM says:

*Chael Sonnen accent*

“If he wants to leave the division, leave the sport, who cares,”

But I think Aoki should just revamp his game. Train more Striking and less of his Already Skillful grappling. Or Atleast not to be hasty and not underestimate even the most one dimensional skilled fighter.

• cocoonofhorror says:

what UFC LW would he beat at least 6 times out of 10? exactly, none of them.

• Guthookd says:

1. Yes, he is a dick
    2. Yes, his skill set is pretty narrow
    3. He has LETHAL grappling

With that said, here’s my list of UFC fighters overwhome I’d pick Aoki at leat 6/10 times:

1.Mark Bocek