Cote draws Kalib Starnes for Ringside MMA debut in April

After a recent announcement regarding Patrick Cote signing with Ringside MMA it appears the former UFC middleweight title-contender now has an opponent and date attached to his forthcoming debut in the Canadian company. According to an official press release, Cote will fight TUF 3 alum Kalib Starnes on April 9 at the Bell Centre in Montreal.

Starnes is perhaps best known for his backpedaling performance against Nate Quarry at UFC 83 but holds an 11-5-1 record including past success against Jason MacDonald and Chris Leben. He is 3-2 in his last five fights with a first-round submission in his last outing over Nick Hinchliffe this past July.

Meanwhile, “The Predator” will be seeking his first win in the ring since mid-2008 after injuring his knee in a championship clash with Anderson Silva at UFC 90, then dropping back-to-back bouts upon his return to the Octagon. Prior to the losing streak Cote had won five consecutive match-ups including victories over Kendall Grove, Drew McFedries, and Ricardo Almeida.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

This one ought to be a barnburner

• Dufresne says:

Run Kalib, Run!!!!

Sorry, had to.

• stone says:

I liked Starnes until the infamous “back pedaling” show he pulled on Nate Quarry… Does anyone know the story behind that? I had heard he was fighting with a broken rib or something to that effect… Funny how Bisping pulls that same bullshit in europe all the time. The euro crowd will forever love that dude… Those Canucks didn’t think twice before giving ol’ Kalib the middle finger and jumpin on Nate’s side! Too funny!… “If I can change, & YOU can change… EvErYbOdY cAn ChAnGe!”

• Wow stone do you actually watch Bisping fight or do you just jump on tha hater band wagon? Kalib literally RAN, not countered not played the elusive game like Machida, he RAN. Bisping uses good footwork in order to slide in and tag his opponent with jabs then make them follow him as he eats them up with good boxing.
    If you’re gonna compare Bispings usual performance to that of Starnes, you might as well say that Machida runs from people, and Frankie Edgar does the same.

• cocoonofhorror says:

is it a fight, or a 4X100 relay?

• Angry Mike says:

Can the Predator run down the prey?

• stone says:

Alryte, alryte, alryte… I was talkin shit! The Starnes/Quarry fight was fucking ridiculous! Bisping doesn’t runaway THAT bad. But even a Bisping fan has to admit the obvious. When Bisping fights a fighter that is clearly a shelf under himself, he has no problem turning up the intensity. Put him in the cage with a fighter that’s on the same level, he back pedals and out points them with his ‘footwork’ and ‘boxing’… As far as “jumpin on the wagon” goes, nope!, I’ve never liked the guy. Every since I payed for the PPV with him fighting Rashad. After that I’ve put them both on my “oCtAgOn CoNtRoL shit-list” Both guys (rashad n bisping) never fight with the intentions of finishing a fight but, they’ll get you all hyped up before the fight with they’re “I wanna knock this guy’s head off” trash talking. If you wanna out wrestle or out footwork a guy for decision win that’s fine! Don’t lie to the fans that pay their hard earned money down for a PPV. If you plan on winning a decision like Bisping & Rashad do, than just say it from the start. That’s what Randy, Chael, Guida, Fitch and a lot of the others do. They say it from the jump, “I’m gonna take this guy through the fire” or “I’m a grinder, I’m gonna grind this dude out for 15 minutes”. I have no problem with that. FINISH FIGHTS PLEASE!<—my mma motto

• king mah mah says:

Cote by KO very early. If not, then Cote is done in MMA!!!!!!

• LiverPunch says:

I don’t know what the hell you guys are talking about. Starnes is still in the top 10 at 185!.
    Seriously you should see how fast Kahlib can run 185 yards , he is one of the top 10 in MMA at running that distance.