Bellator deepens welterweight pool with signing of Ben Saunders

Although Bellator Fighting Championships has already announced the eight individuals competing this season in the organization’s welterweight tournament it very well may be a 170-pounder looking in from the outside drawing equivalent attention to the eventual winner when Season 4 concludes – Ben Saunders. The promotion announced the addition of “Killa B” to its roster earlier today in a press release.

“Saunders is an exciting, powerful welterweight with explosive knockout power. Ben’s dangerous and always shows up to fight, and I’m excited to see his first fight under the Bellator banner on MTV2 in April.” said CEO Bjorn Rebney.

The TUF 6 alumnus also expressed enthusiasm for a chance to further his career in the Bellator cage, explaining, “I’m here to test myself against anyone that they throw against me. I want to be the best. I want to be a champion, and that’s my goal. I’m here to kick some ass, make some money, and take a belt along the way.”

Saunders is 9-3-2 in the ring with eight finishes evenly split between submission/TKO. During his run in the UFC the American Top Team product picked up wins over Ryan Thomas and Marcus Davis with his most-recent outing having delivered a first round strike-based stoppage against Elijah Harshbarger at a WEF show in November.

Bellator Season 4 debuts on March 5 in Lemoore, California and will be broadcast live on MTV2.

PHOTO CREDIT – BELLATOR/UFC

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Always like to see Saunders fight-he might just win it

• hindsightufuk says:

i hope big dan is back for more

To bad they coudnt get him in the tourney but This is still an excellent addition… Never know they may have need a reserve WW. Wonder who he’s fighting…

• Guthookd says:

Gike – Saunders isn’t in the tourney. I agree with Rece though, it would have been awesome to see him in there. I wonder if they’re going to set up a feature fight between Saunders and Askren. If they do that they’re making a big mistake because Saunders will murder Askren.

No matter what happens or what the plan is though, Ben Saunders is a great addition and we’ll take him. Frankly I was surprised when the UFC let him go. I think he’s an exciting and well rounded fighter who is still on the up-sloap of his career.

Do it Ben.

• Rich S. says:

AWESOME!

• LiverPunch says:

If Saunders would murder Askren then Bellator has very little WW talent. Saunders is not very good.
    Honestly if a fighter ranked around 40th in the division murders your champ what does that say about your talent pool?.