twitter google

Jorge Santiago rumored for return to the UFC

One of the best middleweights in the world appears to be on his way back to the Octagon. Jorge Santiago is expected to sign with the UFC and return to action in May, likely at UFC 130. Santiago recently negotiated his release from Sengoku Raiden Championships, where he was the current middleweight champion, and became a free agent. He will now vacate the Sengoku Middleweight Title. Santiago’s return opponent has yet to be named.

ESPN.com was the first to report the story.

However, Santiago’s manager Malki Kawa has denied any deal is any place via Twitter.

Santiago previously competed in the UFC in 2006, where he posted a 1-2 record with a win against Justin Levens and back to back KO losses to Chris Leben and Alan Belcher. Since that time though Santiago has amassed a 11-1 record with victories over Kazuo Misaki (twice), Jeremy Horn, Trevor Prangley, and Siyar Bahadurzada among others.

UFC 130 is scheduled for May 28 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. The UFC Lightweight Title is expected to be on the line in the main event with champion Frankie Edgar defending against Gray Maynard

12 COMMENTS
  • Guthookd says:

    I’m glad he got what he wanted. Santiago has shown a lot of improvement. I hope he can keep it going on his return trip here, but they’ll likely give him one win and then feed him to the monster anyway.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 2 Thumb down 0

  • LiverPunch says:

    Wow!.
    I would give him Belcher first.
    SRC/WVR has to be very close to being dead in the water doesn’t it?.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 3 Thumb down 0

  • Guthookd says:

    At the least, you know how they’re treating their fighters.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • Rece Rock says:

    Does leben got anything lined up?

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

  • LiverPunch says:

    Leben would be good first up too. If he won it would give him the marketing needed to move forward and Leben is not one to die wondering. Santiago is a different fighter but has had some of the most exciting fights in recent times.
    I wonder if this is the start of SRC either folding altogether or releasing many of it’s top fighters to participate in other shows like DREAM/SF or signing with Bellator and the UFC?.
    I wouldn’t mind if they folded. It would give Dream a boost and allow us to see some of it’s top fighters fighting the other top fighters if you know what I mean. It is kind of a shame that he didn’t go to Bellator and give Lombard a go first. Maybe Khalidov or Misaki will.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Cool, once again a great example of someone who has improved vastly in his time away. This could get interesting.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 2 Thumb down 0

  • MMA-LOGIC says:

    Give him Marquardt and then after he beats him give him someone good.
    Just kidding around. Give him someone good straight away and forget about Marquardt.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 1

  • JOEgun says:

    apparently Dana White has confirmed theyve signed him.

    How about giving him Aaron Simpson or Munoz for his first fight back. Then maybe Bisping or even Vitor. Eh, I dunno, but hes a good addition to the middleweight division for sure

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • hindsightufuk says:

    guys been in some awesome fights of late, shame he didnt get to fight the likes of Lombard/Jacare before heading to the UFC. rematch with belcher would be nice

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • TerribleT says:

    He deserves another shot in the UFC . Since being cut after losing back2back fights in 2006 to Alan Belcher & Chris Leben in his last stint in the UFC he has won 11 out of 12 fights and even avenged his only loss in a rematch.http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Jorge-Santiago-5735

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • TerribleT says:

    He deserves another shot in the UFC . Since being cut after losing back2back fights in 2006 to Alan Belcher & Chris Leben in his last stint in the UFC he has won 11 out of 12 fights and even avenged his only loss in a rematch. http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Jorge-Santiago-5735

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • boomnutz says:

    i’m glad he’s coming back, i think they’ll give him someone decent, but someone in their mind that he should be able to beat, and do it impressively, this way he’ll get some name value and won’t have to worry about a monster in his first fight, get rid of the jitters in time for the real competition…

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.