Brandon Vera poised for return to the UFC

When Brandon Vera received his release from the UFC last month it seemed plausible to believe the lanky light heavyweight would eventually make his way back to the Octagon at some point in the future based on promise, personality, and past success. However, it appears Vera’s return to the promotion will occur far sooner than might have been originally expected based in part on the dark cloud still hovering above Thiago Silva’s drug test from UFC 125.

Five Ounces of Pain has learned from a source with knowledge of Vera’s status that “The Truth” is on the verge of re-signing with the UFC and is no longer fielding offers from other promotions in anticipation of his immediate return.

Vera was last seen on the losing end of a one-sided decision to Silva on January 1 where he also suffered a severely shattered schnozz. However, the Brazilian’s name was the lone omission from a subsequent NSAC drug test based on one of the samples he submitted testing positive for an unnamed banned substance. Official results of the screening are still pending.

If the 6’2 Californian does indeed get a second chance in the UFC he will look to bounce back from a trio of consecutive losses including an opening round TKO defeat to Jon Jones and semi-controversial decision to Randy Couture. Vera holds an overall record of 11-6 in his career and has claimed victory in the past over respected opponents like Frank Mir and Krzysztof Soszynski.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• elkymbo says:

I just want to see if he came up as pretty as Wanderlei did after his facial reconstructive surgery….Nah. Nobody can come up that good :)

Wow… DW works in mysterious ways. Regardless Obviously he is in a one and done scenario

• Angry Mike says:

I don’t think steroids can completely explain the loss to Silva, assuming that Silva used them. By anybody’s estimation, Vera got destroyed. Even if Vera comes back physically, that kind of a loss has to leave some psychological scars. Vera was already looking more and more like gun shy before the Silva fight.

Well-Done. Thumb up 12 Thumb down 0

• MCM says:

Booooo-urns.

Even if Silva was on something, Vera should have to earn his way back into the UFC. I know Dana wants to go to the Philippines this year, but bringing Vera back for that is ridiculous. Vera could earn one or two wins in some regional shows and easily be welcome back to the UFC, but coming off of three losses and then getting to renew his contract, is bad business IMO.

• BiG BaD BuLL says:

I thought that information was released by the athletic commission stating that Silva was ruled as pissing clean? Was I mistaken?

• fanoftna33 says:

Yes i called this when I read about Silva failing the test(and commented about it here) it makes sense to me as Vera didnt lose to a normal fighter that night he lost to a cheater so it is only right to give him another shot. Vera will know this is his last chance so I am sure we will see the best Vera we have seen in quite a while. Good for Brandon bad for Silva as I would be all for a 4 to 6 month suspension for him, but also give the guy another chance and hope he looks as good in his next fight.

• MickeyC says:

I would not be surprised to see Brandon back. I kinds did not want to see him cut reguardless of the silva beating. I know he lost to Jones but, eveybody(except hamiel) has lost to jones. & he did get controlled by Randy, but come on. Randy is one of the best ever, and jones is working his way to one of the LB 4 LB best. Not like he lost to cans of fresh fish. A if silva cheated the loss that got vera fired should be scratched. Period.

• mu_shin says:

While I think it would be reasonable to vacate the decision against Vera (it’s being reported in other places that this has already occurred) if Silva comes up dirty, Brandon Vera will have a lot of work to do to present a package that will be a significant or meaningful challenge in the UFC lightheavyweight division.

Silva was reported to have said that a second sample is being tested by the NSAC, and I just read that Keith Kizer, commissioner of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, said just that, that a second sample was being sent to a lab in another state for further testing. Regardless of Silva’s status, Vera is either 3-6 or 3-5-1NC in his last nine fights, and will need a serious career makeover to re-establish his earlier winning ways, having started his career 8-0…

• LiverPunch says:

I’d say this is conformation that Silva cheated. It must be. I would think that that would be the only reason for the turn around.
    Mickey if Couture is one of the best of all time it would be a long list and he would be sitting just below Rizzo.

• MickeyC says:

Randy has held multiple belts in multiple weight classes. Rizzo can beary hold a job.LOL!

• MickeyC says:

And if I remeber correct, Randy beat Padro a couple times(I Think, I’d have to check for sure). But I guess Rizzo did beat Ken Shamrock last year, so I take it all back.LOL! Has he even fought since Ken? Must have been more than he could bear.

• LiverPunch says:

Randy Couture = 19-10.
    Longest winning streak is at HW 3 fights. Ever. 4 fights.
    4-4 out of the UFC.
    Notable wins. Rizzo , Sylvia , Liddell , Ortiz and Belfort.
    Notable losses. Barnett , Ricco , Lesnar.
    Title shots in the UFC 9.
    Number of titles 5.
    Number of UFC champions beaten. 6 (4 at HW)

Pedro Rizzo = 19-9
    Longest winning streak at HW is 9 fights.
    10-4 out of the UFC.
    Notable wins. Monson , Barnett , Severn , Ricco , Arlovski.
    Notable loses. Couture , Kharitonov , Barnett.
    Title shots in the UFC 3.
    Number of titles 3.
    Number of UFC champions beaten. 6

• LiverPunch says:

But Couture beat Toney last year so I take it all back.

• MickeyC says:

Number of title 3. HA HA in what organizations. Full discloser my friend. And notable loses should be Couture twice.LOL

• MickeyC says:

What are you Padro’s cousin? Do you know him or somthin? Or did you just hold his jock once.

• Sykotick says:

Gotta love it when you disagree with someone and they automatically assume you’re in gay love with said fighter.
    Not to jump in on am argument in not on, but couture is considered one of the best because the ufc has done everything it can to market Captain America, plain and simple.
    Proof?
    Look at the number of title shots he has gotten, npw look back at his record and check how many have come off of losses, or one win and ins, just sayin

• Sykotick says:

But I’m sure now that I’ve posted against Randy Couture that makes me his gay jilted lover or something

• BigDave says:

Its kinda Funny that a story about Brandon Vera has 9 post in it that don’t even mention the guy. Maybe its a sign that no one really wants to see this guy fight in the ufc or are just indifferent to it all together.

Vera has some skill but will never rise any higher then a gate keeper and I for one think that even if he gets a second chance he will be a 1 and done. But, on the bright side he could always go to strikefarce and be a contender.

• boomnutz says:

If you don’t love Captain America you MUST be gay, it’s a rule, I saw it written down somewhere…

btw Pedro Rizzo sucks!! he should be running a campaign entitled what could have been, it’ll co-star him and Vera…

On a side not, I kinda feel bad for Vera, he’s too much of a pussy at LHW to make a difference, and he’s too much of a bitch to fight at HW….but if their were a cruiserweight division dude would be a TERROR, that is until Jon Jones moved up and fucked his world up again

• Guthookd says:

Like Vera as a person, but as a fighter I think we already know what he’s capable of, and it is better suited for one of the under orgs, not the UFC. He won’t even be a title threat in any weight class in the UFC. Love to see him mix it up in SF personally.

• stone says:

There’s only one true way to settle this one!…
    Vera, fix ur nose!
    Thiago, serve your suspension!
    Rematch time, shortly afterwards!

• MickeyC says:

First Off, Liver, I never ment emply you were gay, simply that you were swinging on his nuts. It worries me that so mant gentlemans minds went right to homosexual wonderings. EEWWW.

• LiverPunch says:

Just trying to show people that Randy is not what he has been cracked up to be. I like Rizzo but I am not a huge fan and I don’t touch his nuts , that’s just for Mrs Rizzo and Pedro to do. Randy is made out to be some sort of MMA great but he isn’t. In the last 10 years he is 6-3 at LHW and 5-5 at HW. Before you say that that is because he faced the best , that includes V. Overeem , a 45 year old Coleman , Toney , Van Arsdale , Gonzaga and Vera. He also caught Belfort in the middle of a period when he went 4-6 and still only managed to end up 1 a piece with Vitor in that time. Randy never faced the best in the world ever. He was never the best in any division. When he faced Smith , Smith was 7-8 and he was 3-8 in Japan. Tim Sylvia was a top 10 guy but everyone should know that 8 of the top 10 HWs at the time were in Pride. He was to beat Liddell shortly before Liddell was finished by Rampage in the 2nd rd of a tourney that Rampage did not win. He is a very good fighter and worthy of respect but he is not a top 10 GOAT and I think he would struggle to fit in a top 20 GOAT when you consider his win/loss stats. Although Ken has fought on too long , I think he is also around the same level in the GOAT if not higher. Then there is Fedor , A.Silva , Liddell , Royce , Severn , Hughes , GSP , Shields , Nog , Wanderlei , Rampage , Machida , Penn , Gomi , Sakuraba , F.Shamrock , Rutten , Crocop , Vovchanchyn , Taktarov , Shogun and many others to consider. His titles are just wins.

Just keep up with all the cock and balls talk around here…

“That’s my game. Dick slapping is my game.”

Will Ferrell as Ashley Schaeffer in Eastbound & Down.

• MCM says:

can’t believe I’m doing this…….

LP, you can’t just look on Sherdog at someones record and decide whether they were good/great or not. You have to look at the circumstances surrounding the organization, the other fighters, and the state of the sport at the time that the events took place. Everyone of Randy’s title shots were completely justified, with the exception of Silva. And most of the reasoning behind his title shots after a loss are still in practice today in other organizations that you tend to support.
    Yes, he defended his UFC HW title after a loss to V. Overeem, but that was in another org. What was the UFC supposed to do, strip his of the title? Tell that to Aoki.
    Yes, he lost to Barnett and fought Rodriguez for the title. Barnett was stripped of the belt for cheating, who else would have rightfully been allowed to fight but the champ that lost due to a cheater?
    Yes he then fought Liddel for the the interim LHW title. Chuck was 12-1 and the title holder at the time, Tito, refused to fight Chuck due to “friendship”. Randy was actually bought in to Lose to Chuck there by giving Tito no excuse for not giving Liddel the title shot. Randy just spoiled the UFC’s plans by wining.
    Yes he lost to Vitor….due to an Equipment Malfunction. That fight should have been called a No Contest but was mistakenly called a TKO. Shogun and BJ both lost by Unanimous Decision and people were screaming for rematches. The fact that Vitor then lost by TKO to Randy (again) is justification enough.
    When he finally did lose to Chuck, he had to beat Van Arsdale to get a rematch. Van Arsdale was 8-1 and a top contender at the time. Lesnar is fighting JDS for a title shot after just losing the belt, and Kawajiri is fighting Melendez for the title after only one win removed from a title shot. And I know you support the Kawajiri fight.
    I agree with you that he shouldn’t have been brought out of “retirement” to fight Timmay for the title. But like you said, the best HW’s were in PRIDE, who else did they have?

Dog on Randy all you want, but Randy was just one aspect of American MMA at the start of the century, that was still trying to figure itself out. Most of his title shots were the results of circumstance beyond his control and matchmaking in an infant sport. But the fact that Randy has unseated every title holder he’s ever faced (with the exception of Liddel) is testament to his why he’s considered one of the greatest MMA practitioners of all time.

sorry for the long post, this shit has just been bugging me for awhile.

Your a better man than I MCM…

• boomnutz says:

clap clap clap…

AND he hardly mentioned the fact that he was an icon AND that he did all at like 57 years old

• fanoftna33 says:

MCM knows his stuff for sure.

• Guthookd says:

MCM just bitch slapped the whole fucking internet.

• LiverPunch says:

“LP, you can’t just look on Sherdog at someones record and decide whether they were good/great or not. ”
    I agree because I have seen every fight he has fought live so bite me. Stats don’t lie though and promoters and hype does , I tought you would favor logic to hype.
    You have done well to give reasons why he got the title shots and did give valid EXCUSES but the fact remains that he is 5-5 at HW in the last 10 years with a novelty match up preventing that from being 4-5. Does that say GOAT to you?. He may have been the only option when the UFC was crap but that does not mean he is great.
    The fight against Belfort was not an equipment malfunction it was a result of a cut that was created by a punch where the wearer was wearing the same gloves everybody else was. There was no malfunction , just a cut caused by the glove during a punch causing the fight to be stopped. Couture then went on to stop Vitor by doctors stoppage in return. I suppose that could have been a malfunction too. MCM I attack Couture because you and others call him the greatest of all time or 1 of them. He isn’t. 19-10! Fedor is 30-3 , Shogun is 19-4 and there are many others with better stats and wins than Couture , just because the UFC sucked at the time does not mean he was great because he upset a few champs along the way. I don’t care what you say about his opponents because it is rubbish. Smith was 7-8 and now is 13-14 , Gonzaga has only beaten 1 top 20 and has fallen from grace , Randleman was a good win but again has fallen badly to be 17-15 and went 4-7 in Pride , Liddell went on to KO Couture after the first fight easily twice, Lesnar KOed him on the feet and Lesnar is terrible on his feet. He is overrated and I am 100% certain of that. He has stats and victories similar to Rizzo. Van Arsdale was not a top contender and had only beaten the 7-4 Marsh in the UFC and Couture was the first of 4 losses in a row. I think you may be the one misreading the stats.
    I am saying that Couture was not that good and he did not deserve the title shots and you are saying the same thing but giving reasons why. I know there were reasons MCM but that does not change the fact that 7 title shots in 14 fights in the UFC is stupid and a record of 19-10 with only ever defending titles against Rizzo and Gonzaga ever means that you are not all you are cracked up to be. He was never the best in any division in the UFC and was never the best in the world by a long shot , he never dominated the UFC , he was handed title shots time and time again and I think he ended up 5-4 in title shots , he has a record of 19-10 , he only defended his 5 titles against 2 people , he is 12-7 at HW with Toney , Halme , Graham , Gonzaga , Enoe and Yanagisawa proving the myth that he only ever fought the best to be false. Randy Couture is a gentleman and a legend in MMA but he is not a GOAT by any stretch of the imagination. He was given title shots for the same reason many people defend him and that is because he is Randy Couture. Did you read my story about Randy on the Strikeforce challengers card results?. Basically it says Randy was given title shot after title shot without earning it and when anyone asks why he got such preference and was given so many opportunities the answer is that he gets all that because he has got all that. The story says it better. To be honest MCM you are just giving excuses for his record. Randy doesn’t suck but he is not a GOAT because stats matter when considering a GOAT. To be honest stats and wins and losses are the most important thing.
    Ali went 56-5.
    Couture went 19-11.
    But but but but but but but BUT nothing!.

• LiverPunch says:

Just to further my point.
    Shogun is 19-4 and has won against Overeem twice , Diabaté , Liddell , Rampage , Arona , Little Nog , Machida , Randleman , Coleman and has been a champ in Pride and the UFC. He has won twice as many in a row as Couture and that was against the best that the world had to offer. Couture is way down the list. Before his title defense against Gonzaga , he had fought 3 fights that were not for a title or trying to defend a title and he had had 9 title shots. He had had 3 times as many title shots as non-title or title shot earning fights. He was 14-8 at that time. He is a fraud. A manufactured champion time and time again.
    BUT NOOOOTHING!.
    Randy IS 19-10 and no matter how many excuses you can come up with will change the facts. He loses every 2.8 fights. Fedor loses 1 every 11.

• LiverPunch says:

… and Shogun has fought as many 3 rd fights in the UFC as Couture had when he went for his NINTH title shot. Shogun has fought 5 times in the UFC. Okami has had 4 times as many 3 rd fights as Couture had had leading into his 9th title shot and he is still waiting for his first. Fitch has had 13 3 rd fights and he has had 1 title shot. Couture is a fraud.

• MCM says:

I don’t care if you like Randy or not LP. I don’t care if you think he is the “GOAT” or an overhyped fighter. I don’t care if you think his “Masterful game planning” is nothing but clinch and dirty box. I don’t care what you think of his record. I don’t care what you think of Randy as a person or fighter. I don’t care, because you are entitled to your opinion and I’m entitled to mine and it’s fun to argue. You can see in the BFC thread how boring it got once we all started agreeing with each other. ;)
    What I do care about is using Randy’s title shots as a knock against him. There a plenty of reasons for someone to not like or respect Couture, but as I’ve showed, his title shots were all (but one) completely justified. Complain about his record, or his supposed game planing, or the fact that he hasn’t beaten a top fighter in years and lost his title to a guy that was 2-1 in his entire career. There’s ammo there and plenty of points to be made on both sides. But the fact that all his title shots happened when they did and that they happened to one fighter was an anomaly, hopefully one that will never be repeated again. Each one was justified and if the circumstances had happened exactly the same but with different fighters, this wouldn’t even be a conversation.
    For the record, I never considered Randy a GOAT or said he was the best in any division. A pioneer in the sport? Absolutely. One of the most influential fighters? Without a doubt. One of the best fighters to compete in the cage? Uhmm…..I’d put him in the top 30 but probably not top 20 or 25.
    I also KNOW that you don’t just read the stats. And I actually regretted that dig after I sent it. I also don’t know where all these people are that you say are calling Randy the Greatest Of All Time. He has a ton of fans, but I think most of us know his record is not that great.

• LiverPunch says:

Hello.
    Hey look I know I attack Randy , I mean this is supposed to be about Vera , but it isn’t because I don’t like him , it is because he gets hyped to be something he isn’t and people swallow it whole. I don’t like that and I feel really silly when I do it. Randy is somebody I look up to but not because he was the greatest but because he always wanted to compete against whoever was. He has the best mental attitude and aspiration of any fighter that I’ve ever seen. I don’t hold anything against him in particular but I do resent his special treatment. His title shots were not justified in my opinion because he did not earn them. He would get them , lose by KO or TKO and then get another 1 within 1 or 2 fights against a different opponent. If they were justified then there are lots of fighters out there that are owed 9 or more title shots.
    He is not a master of game planning , that is just a Roganism that caught on. GSP and Jackson’s camp on the other hand…

• MickeyC says:

Rece Rock, Do you know where I can find Eduardo Sanchez……..

• BigDave says:

LP, you really need to step back into reality just for a minute or two. The same hype you are saying randy has is not even close to the hype around the guy whos nut are clearly down your throat, Fedor. Fedor over the past 5 years has been the most overhyped fighter to ever set foot in the cage. Fedor has fought cans in that time that he beat arlovski get ko’d every other day, Rogers has never deserved to be in title contention but thats strikefarce for ya, Silvia isn’t even worth a mention as he hasn’t made the weight since also losing to guys that need to work up to being cans. He finally faces stiffer competition in Werdum and gets embaressed then he gets his face ground into hamburgermeat against a guy no one had in the top 10. On top of all that the guy beat Rogers for the number 1 contender spot to Overeems title and since the loser of that fight got the title shot its safe to say he ducked him, just like he ducked fighting Randy because he refused to sign the dotted line and fight in the ufc.

I wont even bother to talk about the 5 fights he had before the silvia fight because they where all against inferior fighters.

Now is Randy better then Fedor over there whole careers? No he is not. Is Randy better over the last 5 years? yes he is. Is Randy deserving of being called one of the best fighters in MMA history? yes he is.

Sorry that facts scare you LP and you have fun in that delusional world you live in.

• BigDave says:

Wow, I actually had to look at both of these guys careers side by side and man do I feel like an idiot.

Randy is clearly better then Fedor over his career given the caliber of opposition they have faced.

Randy has fought:

Belfort 3 times 2-1
    Rizzo 2 times 2-0
    liddel 3 times 1-2
    Ortiz 1 time 1-0
    Barnett 1 time 0-1
    Nog 1 time 0-1
    Next fight Machida

Fedor has fought:

Big Nog 3 times 2-0-1
    Crocop 1 time1-0
    Werdum 1 time 0-1
    Bigfoot 1 time 0-1

There really is no doubt that Randy has actually faced better fighter and in there prime then Fedor has. Don’t believe the hype!