Dana White confirms Michael Bisping will be disciplined for UFC 127 behavior

Echoing sentiments from the Mixed Martial Arts community, it appears Dana White will discipline Michael Bisping based on the Brit’s lack of professionalism during and after his bout with Jorge Rivera at UFC 127. While no specifics were mentioned regarding the punishment or what exactly prompted the decision it was revealed a suspension, fine, and possibly both were on the table.

News of the UFC President’s plan was first reported by MMAFighting. No time table on the sentencing was revealed.

The controversy surrounding Bisping’s behavior started early in last weekend’s match-up when “The Count” blatantly grabbed the cage to prevent being swept in the first round, then later planted an illegal knee cleanly on Rivera’s chin while later claiming the blow had been accidentally thrown a bit early despite video replays appearing to reveal calculation in the shot. Bisping was deducted a point and the fight continued with Rivera severely slowed.

Bisping’s questionable actions continued after finishing “El Conquistador” with strikes in the second round when he decided to spit out of the Octagon towards Rivera’s corner saying it was meant to land on the floor and not boxing coach Matt Phinney.

Five Ounces of Pain contacted Rivera’s management team at Alchemist MMA who responded with their position on the forthcoming action:

“We applaud UFC President Dana White’s announcement that Michael Bisping will be disciplined for his unprofessional manner inside the cage at UFC 127. We (also) hope that the UFC also decides to take disciplinary action against Mr. Bisping for the illegal knee he threw at Jorge Rivera during the first round of their fight. The issue here is standards. As Jorge recovered from the illegal knee, Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg asked, “Does he get five minutes? Does he continue or what’s the norm here?” which underscores how there are no set standards in place for an illegal strike like this one. Jon Jones‘ only loss is due to a DQ from an illegal strike against Matt Hamill. Paul Daley delivered an illegal strike to Josh Koscheck after the bell and got sent out of the organization. Mr. Bisping should also be punished for his illegal strike. There has to be consistency and accountability or the sport will not evolve.”

When asked for his take on the situation in general Bisping apologized while crediting a series of hype-building videos from Rivera with making the match-up personal. However, he has remained firm in the illegal knee’s accidental nature and been dismissive of his phlegm’s direction.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

The tribe has spoken… majority rules.

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 2

• fanoftna33 says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 15 Thumb down 26

• bigbadjohn says:

Dana couldn’t NOT discipline him. It would be a travesty.

Well-Done. Thumb up 27 Thumb down 6

• stone says:

Jorge was clearly a different fighter after that illegal shot!… Jorge’s corner should’ve demanded all 5 minz of recovery time… Thumbs down to Bisping & Rivera’s corner!

Well-Done. Thumb up 36 Thumb down 4

• hindsightufuk says:

this would be one of the rare occasions i’d be happy to see a rematch

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 18 Thumb down 10

That fight isn’t worthy of a rematch… plus with the bad blood DW would be a fool to put these camps near each other again that soon… last thing he needs is training partners and coaches brawling in the octagon.

Well-Done. Thumb up 16 Thumb down 5

• Matthew says:

Instead of all this talk of suspensions and disciplinary action, was i the only one that was hoping to hear a story of Bisping vs Phinney or Rivera camp vs Wolfslair in the parking lot? Something tells me they would have caused less moral outrage.

Rivera and co. are dicks.
    Bisping and co. are dicks.

Why the outrage when the likelihood of something stupid happening was pretty high?

Well-Done. Thumb up 18 Thumb down 2

• king mah mah says:

This is ridiculous!

Where was all the outrage when Kongo repeatedly hit Cro cop in the groin? How about when Brock was smashing Mir in the back of the head and everyone cried they took a point from him too soon?!

You can’t just pick and choose which illegal blows go unpunished and which ones don’t.

So I guess you guys are saying that an illegal blow is fine as long as you don’t have an attitude afterwards? Sounds like a bunch of hypocritical shit to me!

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 14 Thumb down 19

• king mah mah says:

P.S. You can’t compare Jon Jones’ loss or Paul Daley’s termination to this at all.

Hammil was damn near knocked out and bleeding all over the place. Paul Daley delibrately hit Koscheck after the fight was already over.

Rivera recovered and chose to continue. Plus he looked pretty good going into the 2nd and rocked Bisping with a right hand. That is hardly the same type of scenario as the Jones or Daley case.

Apples and oranges if you ask me.

Well-Done. Thumb up 20 Thumb down 7

• JOEgun says:

i agree with disciplinary actions for spitting, the illegal knee, and being a douche after the fight.

this should send a message.

although, perhaps if the fight had been called a DQ for the illegal knee then the post fight douchebaggery would not have occurred.

UFC just has to deal with these things as they happen. not every situation is the same.
    this is all part of the growth

Well-Done. Thumb up 17 Thumb down 1

• FightFan313 says:

Jorge may have started the name calling but Bisping knows its part of the game and should have handled it with class. I think the knee should have resulted in a DQ on Bispings fight record. Bisping clearly had a advantage after that putting Jorge at risk of further injury, a concussion could have easily resulted because of the knee. I want to see them fight again.

I would like to see a fine placed on Bisbing. A substantial fine.

• TerribleT says:

I definitely need to watch this fight again bcuz I really didn’t think the knee was that devastating but sounds like I’m wrong.But on the other hand why do they think they know Bisping’s intent with that knee? Fighters get caught up in the heat of the moment. I doubt he would think to himself,” I’m gonna blast him with an illegal knee now cuz he was talkin’ shit ” and take the chance of being DQ’d when at the time he was easily dominating the fight.

• Matthew says:

I hate bisping.

But let me be clear. Someone makes fun of my family, me and my country in such a short period of time, they’re gonna get f$&@ed up at the first available opportunity, in or out of the cage. He did well to wait until he got in the cage. Who the he’ll is phinney anyway? Or for that matter, why did Rivera even get a shot at bisping in the first place? And finally…

Why did the Australian fans have to get lumped with this fight? We do not like bisping and don’t give 2 shits about Rivera. Let alone the schoolyard rubbish. Fine the UFC for thinking this fight was a good idea in the first place.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I think Bisping should be dropped for this.
    Strikeforce could use another quality English fighter. ;)
    Whatever happens I’m sure Dana will be being very nice to Bisping behind closed doors. Bisping makes a lot of money for the UFC and is ever improving. I think by this time next year he will have had a title shot or be in line for 1.

• MickeyC says:

Bisping will not be dropped. And I do not see the punishment being that extreme. He has been Dana’s UK boy since TUFF. Dana will do enough to be able to say he did something. And it will be easy to do with Mike apologising like he did as many time as he did, and as quick as he did.

• adamsfamily says:

This is all bullshit – Bisping is unpopular with many Americans mostly because of his stint on the ultimate fighter – a series that sucked, lets be honest. He constantly tried to get a rise out of Hendo and I believe the editing of all the TUF series is done so purley for car crash TV. And Lets face it reality tv is shit full stop.

The only reason I watch mma is for the fights. So lets look at the fight. He threw an illegal knee, it wasnt the worst I’ve ever seen, and I absolutely think Rivera played on it after the fact. If he couldnt continue he should have quit then. The point was docked. Thats what happens in our sport.

I have no problem with fighters not hugging after the fight, though personally I would probably show respect to my opponant, but its not in the rule book to be gracious in victory.

My only problem is with the spitting. This merits an official ticking off, maybe a set percentage of purse to the opponant (including their team)

Lets face it, a measured amount of bad behaviour sells. We all love martial arts, but the history of martial arts is full of deceit and dishonour as much as it is mastery and control. Bispings next fight will sell more as people want to see him defeated (preferably by an all americn hero)

Now who fits the bill? A crest fallen all american hero – Sonnen – would be vindicated if he beat up the nasty ‘orrible northern football ‘ooligan. I can her the tills ringing already, or should that be cash registers.

The irony is so thick you could fucking choke on it.

I agree with your last few sentiments adamsfamily…Cheal is already getting on his soap box and seizIng this opportunity…DW & Co. will reprimand Bisping & up his bad boy cred to an all time high thus creating a perfect formula to generate maximum fan interest. BUT If this match up is signed DW just better be sure this is what he wants because putting these 2 characters together could be worse then a black eye for the UFC it’s going to be more like a shattered orbital bone if these guys make it too personal & let emotions and there mouths get the best of them in and out of the octagon

• fanoftna33 says:

You knoe Bisping vs Sonnen would be cool, but for Sonnen I think he wants the fight more for the noteriety than anything else, at least Bisping talks the way he truly feels- Sonnen will say anything just for attention. To me Sonnen is much worse than Bisping.

• Madmax says:

@rece………………….”The tribe has spoken… majority rules”

And,,,,,,,,,it’s time for him to go!

If they really need a UK “star”, make it Ross Pearson. He’s at least got some class, and isnt a pure British Wanker like “The CU&T”. And the guy can FIGHT!

Madmax.

• Dufresne says:

Just wanted to point out that Hamill couldn’t continue because his shoulder was dislocated when Jones slammed him, not because of the 12-6 elbows. So in all reality that shouldn’t have been a DQ to begin with.

Personally when I saw the illegal knee I thought we were going to have another Cowboy/Varner situation where the fight went to the judges. I think it’s crap that the refs/crowd/opponent try to get a fighter to jump back into a fight as soon as possible after an illegal shot. If a professional kick-boxer knees me in the happy sack I’m taking the full 5 minutes so you better believe I’m taking the full time allowed when there’s a possibility of a concussion.

• mu_shin says:

If anything meritorious comes out of this, it’s Jorge Rivera standing up like a man and continuing the fight. I watched it afterward, knowing the shot was coming, and he fought on for two minutes to complete the first round, then into the second, and did not show any drastic effects from the shot in my opinion. He was getting out-classed to begin with, and went down like a pro, fighting.

Bisping was “disciplined” in the ring according to the rules for an illegal blow, and as far as that goes, that’s the end of it. It was not a criminal act, was not even that egregious as far as illegal contact in the ring, in the context of a fast paced moment to moment MMA contest. Agree that standard protocols need to be enlisted in such an occurance, as far as giving a fighter needed time to decide whether to continue, if possible, as it was in this case.

Personally, I’m a fight fan, and don’t get involved in personalities or hype designed to drum up interest in a fight. Bisping comports himself pretty well taking care of business as a fighter, and did his job in this case. His behavior in victory may have been classless, but hardly unprecedented. Fine him, get over it, get on with it, and schedule his next bout. Sonnen sounds like a good challenge for Bisping, a classic striker/grappler contest.

• moosebaby02 says:

Really what is Dana going to do to his favorite bum chum from the UK that will punish him???? Give him a “Fight” were he is not almost guarantee a win???