Maia vs. Munoz on tap for UFC 131

The UFC has announced the addition of an old school scrap pitting discipline against discipline as Mark Munoz, an All-American and NCAA Champion wrestler, and Demian Maia, a highly decorated BJJ artist, have agreed to lock horns on June 11 in Vancouver at UFC 131. Both middleweights are coming off back-to-back wins meaning success at the event is crucial where any future title-shots are concerned.

The 14-2 Maia has been out of action since a December decision over Kendall Grove at the Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale. Eight of the Brazilian’s overall wins have come as the result of a tap-out. The performance against Grove brought the submission savant’s record in the Octagon to 8-2 including victories over Dan Miller and Chael Sonnen.

In Munoz he will face a foe who has found success five of the last six times he’s fought with the one exception being a Split Decision to Yushin Okami. “The Filipino Wrecking Machine” most recently rendered C.B. Dollaway defenseless from strikes less than a minute into their March 3 bout at UFC Live 3.

UFC 131 is headlined by Brock Lesnar’s return to the ring in hopes of earning a rematch against current heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez later this year with hard-hitting fellow contender Junior dos Santos standing in his way. The card also features Ken Florian debuting at featherweight against 16-1 Diego Nunes, Shane Carwin against a yet-to-be-named opponent, and rising star Dustin Poirier taking on talented grappler Rani Yahya.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Dufresne says:

At first glance I kinda went “guy that’s so-so” v “guy that’s only good on the ground,” meh.

But then I thought about how their styles match up and I’m starting to like this fight. Munoz is a decent striker and a powerful wrestler, but he does most of his damage with GnP. Maia is one of the most elite BJJ practitioners in MMA today and arguably the most elite currently fighting at MW.

If Munoz can keep the distance and avoid his instincts to get in close for dirty boxing or go for the takedown, he should have the upper hand with his striking power. But if he can’t and Maia manages to latch on, even in the clinch, he can pull guard and rip off a submission.

This card is shaping up to be pretty freaking sweet. Can’t wait till they announce Carwin’s opponent. I can’t really think of anyone in the UFC right now that makes sense for him. Maybe bring back Heath Herring? That’s a match I would love to see.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I actually see Munoz knocking Maia out-Good BJJ rarely translates at the high level anymore-With American wrestling becoming more aware of sub defense-I have to give the advantage to the Filipino

• MMA-LOGIC says:

American wrestlers like Sonnen?.
    When you say “American wrestling” , I guess you mean Greco-Roman where the name states that it isn’t “American” or freestyle which is “a style of amateur wrestling that is practised throughout the world… is possibly derived from the English Lancashire style”.
    According to Wiki the highest any Americans got in the 2010 world freestyle champs was 9th. Doesn’t sound very American to me. In 2008 in the OLYMPICS, the USA came 6th behind Russia, China, Uzbekistan and Georgia. It only got 1 gold in the 55 kg freestyle and 2 bronze. Russia got 6 gold, 3 silver and 2 bronze. Perhaps you should be calling it “Russian wrestling”.
    Just annoys me that’s all.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Oh but I am interested in this fight and think it could go either way. Maia has vastly improved his wrestling, stand up and strength.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Perhaps- I should be calling it wrestling without you involved-The fact of the matter is-No one will ever beat the UFC champions that isn’t involved with the promotion itself

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Sorry Gike but it isn’t “American wrestling”. It didn’t start there and they are not the best at it.
    I suppose boxing is American , the “world series” actually involves the world, Dana White started MMA and Chuck Norris invented Karate.
    As for the UFC champions not being beaten by anyone but UFC fighters. Randy was beaten while he was the UFC champ by a non-UFCer twice way back in the day so bite me.

• Dufresne says:

Chuck Norris invented Karate.

FACT.

• MCM says:

Well said Duf. Bring back Heath Herring!!!

but Mai has vastly improved his striking and even though he may not have the power of Munoz, I think he can hang with him on the feet. This one goes to a decision, and I think Damien edges it out.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Ha ha. You guys …

“I don’t like the truth, so I’m going to give it the thumbs down … Take that reality! … I just denied your ass”

Chuck Norris will never have a heart attack. His heart isn’t nearly foolish enough to attack him.

FACT.

• Dufresne says:

Personally, I only thumbs down someone if they needlessly bash a fighter, if they attack or insult another commenter, or if they’re obviously just trolling the comments section. A lot of the time I’ll give a thumbs up to someone even if I completely disagree with their post just so that it doesn’t get hidden as quickly if others don’t like it. Not everyone does it that way, and that’s 100% okay with me. To each their own.

Opposing but well thought out and intelligent views are what make commenting on 5oz worthwhile. If everyone agreed on everything there would only be one or two comments on each article and everyone else would end up just saying “Yup.” And frankly, that’s just too damn boring for something as interesting as MMA :) .

• Dufresne says:

Meant for that to say “…if they attack or insult the writer or another commenter…”

I know it’s a small correction, but I’m on adderall and these things bug the absolute bejesus out of me for some reason. Any chance we could get an “Edit” button? I know y’all have a full plate so I completely understand if it would be a pain to implement or if it just isn’t possible, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask.

• elkymbo says:

So it’s you who thumbs down all my witty and hilarious remarks Dufresne.
    Maybe I should write something of substance then. Ok. Here goes.
    I’ve noticed a lot lately that there seems to be a lot of non wrestlers who have actually started to acquire themselves some quality takedown defense which has led to whoever has the best stand up quite often coming out on top. So if Munoz decides to throw Maia a curve ball and keep the fight standing I think he’ll take the fight. His gnp is awesome but I think keeping it standing is the best call where he may outclass Maia.
    Although it will be interesting to see how Maia’s standup has improved as it was looking a lot better in his last fight.
    And the rest of the card is shaping up nicely.
    There you go Dufresne…is that better? :)

• Dufresne says:

Lol, I honestly don’t think I’ve ever given you a thumbs down elkymbo. I’m not sure I have the cojones to thumbs down someone who lives on the same island as Saltys and the Inland Taipan and who appears to be sporting one of the most impressive mustaches this side of Don Frye.

• elkymbo says:

Haha that you respect the tash is enough for me mate. Movember is my favourite time of year :)
    I must admit I do get on here to have a bit of a laugh with you lot and rarely do I make a serious comment so when I saw that you thumb down the comments trollers I wrongly thought I was included in that pile.
    I, like yourself, love the witty banter on here and enjoy the shit out of the discussions that go on. My mates actually always ask me what is going on in the mma world and a huge amount of my knowledge comes from here and you lot. So much respect to the five ounces family.
    But rest assured now that I seem to have a bit of clearance the fart jokes will continue and occasionally I might make the odd insightful comment.
    Good times :)

• elkymbo says:

Although this does distract me from the original issue. Who gave me thumbs down? The search continues…..

• boomnutz says:

lol, you guys crack me up…Duff man must me mid terms? I really want to see the ground battle between these two. Sonnen probably has better wrestling, especially in MMA, but Munoz’ ground and pound is a lot better and all he needs is one of those shots to connect and your brain starts to scramble…this is an interesting fight, I like Maia but I want Munoz to win so we possibly get to see him vs Chael (should be extra interesting since Munoz fights for Black house)

• MCM says:

boomnutz – Mario Miranda fights out of Black House too. And it was in that fight that Maia really started showing his new found striking.

Duf – I gave you thumbs down…..just to keep it even. ;)

elkymbo- I loved “Perthsterdamn”. But then I tried to say it 3 times fast.

• boomnutz says:

MCM, sorry bud, I can see how you were confused, I want to Chael and Munoz fight because of the Black house connection, and for other obvious reasons

• Dufresne says:

Duff man must me mid terms?

Nah, I wish. I’m actually studying for my national boards that are the 25th. Sadly that means I’m probably not gonna be on here that much in the next two weeks, but you can bet your ass I’m gonna be watching this Saturday’s MMAthon with a giant stack of notecards in my lap.

I might have to skip the traditional “one scotch per fight” rule though. Something tells me two live events including the prelims of one would result in the little words in my notes dancing and mocking my attempts to learn them.

• boomnutz says:

national boards for what? you a nursing major? good for you if you are, maybe you can be the new self-proclaimed “baddest nurse on the planet”… the last one didn’t work out too well

• Dufresne says:

Nope! I’m actually gonna be everyone’s worst nightmare: a dentist. My older sister has the nurse thing covered, and there’s no way I’m about to mess with a woman that can work in the areas best trauma unit and still keep a family with 4 kids (5 if you count my brother-in-law) under the age of 7 in check. I have a hard enough time keeping my roommates from destroying the apartment, and they’re both (supposedly) potty trained…

• MCM says:

(How do I post of pic of Steve Martin from Little Shop of Horrors with the word “Dufresne” under it?)

• Dufresne says:

Scenes from that movie make it into at least a dozen lectures a year, lol. And to be honest, I wouldn’t mind having a giant, talking, carnivorous plant as a pet. There are far too many irritating people in this world that I would love to use as a snack for Jr.

At least you didn’t immediately go to the cinematic masterpiece that is The Dentist.

• elkymbo says:

MCM-I was quite happy with Perthsterdam as well. Took me all morning to think of that :)
    And Duf I need my wisdom teeth out but I’m afraid if I came to you the anesthetic would be a rear naked choak and you’d remove my teeth with hammer fists.

• Dufresne says:

On the plus side, that method would be a hell of a lot cheaper than filling with insurance.

• bigbadjohn says:

Maia caught Chael, he can catch Munoz. Hopefully Munoz’s game plan is to avoid the ground or maybe leave the take downs for late in the round. And Demian’s stand up is getting sharper quickly, which leaves this fight a toss-up in my head.