Undefeated Sambo champion Blagoi Ivanov signs with Bellator

Chicago, Ill. – (March 15, 2011) — Bellator Fighting Championships today announced the signing of undefeated Bulgarian Heavyweight and world-class Sambo competitor Blagoi Ivanov. Ivanov won the 2008 Combat Sambo World Championships, notably defeating Fedor Emelianenko in the semifinals, reportedly ending an eight-year undefeated streak for Emelianenko in Combat Sambo. Ivanov has also competed in Judo as a heavyweight national representative for Bulgaria. Since transitioning to mixed martial arts Ivanov has gone undefeated with an impressive 8-0 professional record including three (T)KO’s and three submission victories.

The fast rising 24 year old is expected to make his U.S and Bellator debut in 2011 LIVE on MTV2. Ivanov currently trains out of the TapouT Training Center in Las Vegas and has recently spent time training with the likes of Randy Couture, Roy Nelson, and Vitor Belfort. Ivanov also recently spent time working his hands with former boxing champion and uncle to Floyd Mayweather Jr., Jeff Mayweather.

“Blagoi is a great signing for us at heavyweight,” said Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney. “He brings an incredible Sambo background to the cage and is developing his hands with some of the best in the business I’m very happy that he and his management have decided to move his career forward under the Bellator banner.

Although many changes will come with his newly minted Bellator contract, Ivanov says that he is more than excited to get started.

“I can’t wait to have the chance to show what I’m capable of to all of the Bellator fans watching on MTV2 all across the United States,” said Ivanov. “I’m already hard at work preparing for my first fight with Bellator. My ultimate goal is to fight Cole Konrad for the Bellator World Heavyweight Championship. My mission is to become the Bellator Champion, and that’s what I intend to do.”

If this guy neat Fedor in Sambo pretty sure he can take Conrad

• Guthookd says:

Send him over to Conrad’s house right now to beat his ass and take that belt. We need a well rounded SAVAGE of a champion at HW in Bellator. I hope Blagoi is that guy.

I wonder if this means we’ll be seeing a HW tournament this year or what. Knowing Bellator they’ll probably set Blagoi up with Conrad in a non-title superfight……god damn it Rebney.

I hope not… Warm up fight then tourney then belt

• Spoken says:

I hope this guy is good enough to be next generations fedor, so he can go on a 20+ win streak, win a few major titles, lose a couple at the tail end of his career, and 10 years from now have everybody complain about how overrated he is because he can’t hang with the young prime fighters anymore. Now there’s something to look forward to.

• bigbadjohn says:

Fedor: 34, Werdum: 33, Silva: 31. but I so understand where you’re coming from.

• Spoken says:

Yeah, I’m more being humorous than anything, but I guess what I mean by young is career-wise. Fabricio is 19 fights into his career, Silva is 18 fights, and Fedor is 34 fights. Plus, Fedor had a long run against tougher competition while being on an 8-year combat sambo undefeated streak.