UFC 132 taking shape with announcement of Penn vs. Fitch II, Sotiropoulos vs. Dunham, and more

True to form the UFC looks to again be providing fans with a talent-laden line-up for their annual Fourth of July Weekend event as the promotion has announced a trio of tilts scheduled for UFC 132 including a highly-anticipated rematch between B.J. Penn (16-7-2) and Jon Fitch (23-3-1).

Also scheduled for the July 2 show, respected lightweights George Sotiropoulos (14-3) and Evan Dunham (11-2) will look to rebound from recent losses when they face each other while the man who beat Sotiropoulos, Dennis Siver(18-7), takes on on Matt Wiman (13-5) with both hoping to run their current winning streaks up to four in a row.

Two of MMA’s top-ranked competitors, Fitch and Penn fought to a draw in a contendership-determining clash late last month at UFC 127 and were rumored for an immediate re-pairing shortly thereafter. The performance marked the only time Fitch hadn’t exited the Octagon with a win aside from a decision loss to Georges St. Pierre in 2008. Comparably, Penn was coming off a twenty-second knockout of Matt Hughes in his previous bout but had lost back-to-back title-fights against Frank Edgar at 155-pounds prior to his return to welterweight.

A previously announced match-up between Shane Roller (10-3) and Melvin Guillard will also be among the group set for action at UFC 132.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• THEGUNNER says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 3 Thumb down 13

Celeb status has nothing to do with it… it’s more like whose going to make bank as a headliner and sell the card… it sucks but it’s a business.

I’m not thrilled with this immediate rematch, although It’s not because these 2 shouldn’t go at it again but because there is so much more you can do with these 2 right now that the reamtch could have played out after each took another fight.

Well-Done. Thumb up 10 Thumb down 0

• I agree that it might be too soon but let’s face it, Fitch is the clear cut number 1 contender in the WW division and BJ managed to struggle to a draw with him. It was a close enough decision to where it could be argued that either fighter was robbed OR that it was a just call and other than this the WW division is in total disarray. Condit got hurt, Lytle was climbin the ladder and was deflated, Kapmann is down 2 fights, Hardy the same, Alves is back to fighting guys like Rick Story(hey he’s bad but not very known) so we dont have any clear cut contenders. Should Fitch be ready for BJ to try to take him down, I think he’ll maul BJ this time around.
    Other than that this is a good card
    and Gunner, if Sotiroupolous couldnt take Siver to the ground what in the blue hell makes you think that he would have a snowballs chance in the 9th level of hell of getting BJ down? You cant lose to a mid tier guy and then get thrown to one of the best who ever lived. makes ZERO sense.

• MCM says:

I’m getting a little tired of all the rematches going on. This wasn’t a title fight so why not let a draw be a draw. Ellengberger has been calling out Fitch so let them fight. Jake has earned a shot at one of the top guys. BJ needs a name fighter so give him Kampman. I know S.Dave, Martin is 1-2 in his last three but BJ is 0-2-1 in his last three. Neither guy would be cut off a loss since you can argue that Kampann should be 3-0 and BJ is still BJ.

Other than that, looks some great match ups. Really excited for Siver/Wiman.

“This wasn’t a title fight so why not let a draw be a draw” – MCM

WORD!

Yes MCM I agree I can’t wait to siver he always brings it.

• stone says:

“Let a draw be a draw”… I love it! BJ Penn vs Kampmann, Condit, Hardy, Kos, or even Hathaway… I don’t care if they’re comin off losses, they’re interesting match-ups… Too much talent in the WW division to be seeing “repeats”…

• THEGUNNER says:

I agree s dave bj will finish georgie but thats what I want to see hungry fighters fighting bj lost the belt he needs to fight his way back up to the belt if maynard beats edgar im sure b j would get a title shot again. They can give us a little better matches if money is what they want bring the super fights. Gsp vs silva

• GSP vs. Silva is still in limbo due to Georges wanting to healthily put on weight, which is fine, I want to see that match in its purest form with no excuses and no hiccups. Let the spider trounce okami and let GSP worry about Shields.
    BJ has stated he isnt interested in LW anymore and I for one applaud that. The aforementioned fights with Condit, Hardy Kampman or Kos sound alot more interesting to me, not seeing BJ get an “easy” fight with The Aussie.
    I love Siver vs. Wiman as a fight and Im taking Handsome matt wiman…the kids been a favorite of mine since TUF

• Dufresne says:

Sotiropoulos v Dunham is a fight I can absolutely get behind. Love this matchup.

Penn v Fitch II is a fight I can get behind too, but not until both fighters have a few fights. I have no desire to watch this fight again right now.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Fitch cant finish.

• FightFan313 says:

Sweet

• LiverPunch says:

That is a bit unfair LOGIC. Fitch finishes fights. He finished a 11-6 guy 10 fights ago in 2007.

• Dufresne says:

LP, I was gonna point out that he finished Alves and Fiorvanti as well just to be contrary. But when I double checked their records I realized that the Alves fight was in 2006, and while Fiorvanti was 11-1 at the time, he’s since gone 11-6. So all I ended up doing is proving both you and LOGIC’s point.

On a side note, I don’t think BJ wins this rematch. He surprised Fitch in the first round going for the takedowns and had enough left in the tank to edge him out in the 2nd as well. But by the 3rd round the old BJ with questionable cardio came out against an opponent who had figured his gameplay by then.
    I don’t think BJ is going to manage to surprise Fitch this time out. The only way I see BJ winning this is if Fitch actually postures up enough to throw real strikes and BJ can surprise Fitch with a submission, or if the refs start standing fights up more often and BJ keeps it standing long enough to win 2 rounds with his superior boxing.