Jon Jones, Rashad Evans, and Greg Jackson set for May meeting

A seminar dubbed as a “once in a lifetime experience” may turn out to be just that for reasons beyond the norm, as a renowned provided of all-star training tutorials – essentially fantasy camps – has booked former UFC light heavyweight champ Rashad Evans, current title-holder Jon Jones, and caught-in-the-middle trainer Greg Jackson as part of a group offering instructional, as well as personal, time with attendees at a cost ranging from $30 to $400 depending on interest.

According to Paradise Warrior Retreat, the event will take place from May 6-8 in New York, New York at Phil Nurse’s gym (The Wat). Nurse will also be part of the seminar as will Tri-Star MMA’s Firas Zahabi who is perhaps best known for his work with welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre.

While there is little doubt the trio of headliners will all maintain professionalism throughout the weekend, an environment ripe with tension seems likely barring a behind-the-scenes resolution in the coming weeks between the sides. Evans recently went online to label his former training partner Jones as a “Judas” while openly discussing his displeasure with how Jackson had handled business lately.

Evans’ points of contention stem from comment Jones made regarding an openness to a fight with him while never having discussed the matter prior to making the comment (or in its wake). He has also pointed the finger at Jackson for bringing “Bones” on board in the first place against his wishes and contributing to the current situation.

I went on the site and you can even pay daily just to be a “spectator”… I’m in NY I just may do that, never know what may unfold… ofcoarse i’ll have to bring my knife to just so I can cut the tension.

• MCM says:

I feel like this was put together before (or at least in the works) before Jones won the belt and Rashad left Jacksons. And it may have something to do with sponsor obligations, being that everyone is Greg Jackson affiliated. I doubt we’d be hearing much about it if things hadn’t gone south with Rashad.
    It’s still interesting though.
    Make sure you have a sharp knife Rece, I get the feeling it’s gonna be thick.

• fanoftna33 says:

I wonder if Evans will start trash talking Jones the way he did to Rampage before there fight? This was something they all knew could happen and seeing as how it is for the title I would think it could have been handled much better on evan’s part instead of name calling and what seems like fit throwing. Greg Jackson isnt calling out Rashad and Jon Jones isnt talking crap about him either. For a fighter of his experience and caliber he seems to be pretty insecure in this situation.

• Dufresne says:

I’m gonna have to have a sit down with the MMA deities, it seems like every time there’s an event I want to go to they have to schedule it smack dab in the middle of a test or major project…

• fanoftna33 says:

Dufrense, tell me about it- every year for my daughters troop scheduals a father daughter dance the same weekend as a ppv. This year it got cancelled in Feb to last weekend.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Even tho this story is just getting started I’m getting tired of hearing about it.

What did Rashad expect Jones to do? Say no I won’t fight a team member? Then what? Then Rashad cries because his shot at the title is blocked and he has to fight someone else when he was promised a title shot.

Maybe Rashad wanted Jones to vacate title and just move to HW division because he had too much respect for Rashad to fight him. I don’t know. Any scenario sounds a little ridiculous to my ears.

Sure if Rashad didn’t get hurt it would have him v. Shogun but, who is to say he would have beat him? If Rashad has his panties in such a twist I would really like to hear from him what he thinks Jones should have done? Refuse a title shot? Vacate title? Take a dive? What?

Rashad needs to find him a good camp and start training for the toughest fight of his life and make sure his insurance premiums are up to date because I have a feeling serious medical care will be needed once Jones is done.

• Angry Mike says:

This reminds me of high school when two guys were competing for the same girl. Only this time they’re fighting over their trainer (probably more important than some chick–plenty of them around) and the two guys are world class athletes who can pound each other (or bystanders) into jelly.

• stone says:

This just sounds like a bunch of bullshit for the UFC to film, edit and turn into a dragged out “reality” show thing to hype the fight up to all hell… Kind of like they did with GSP n BJ Penn 2… Then we’ll all be upset with the one-sided ass whoopin put on Evans, just like we were with GSP whoopin BJ… We all know JJ is gonna kick Evans ass, jackson camp or not! JJ should just quit GJ’s camp and train with Chuck Norris! The MMA drama is just gettin comical…

The WWE wishes there story lines unfolded and played out in such a dramatic way… and they actually pay writers to think of shit like this.

• boomnutz says:

Jones should say nothing, but then have Rampage corner him for the fight

• MCM says:

Still a ton of Rashad hate on this site, I guess.
    Am I the only one that finds most of Rashads anger and disappointment directed at G. Jackson and not at J. Jones?

• fanoftna33 says:

What ever happend to all of Evan’s talk of moving weight classes to not fight Jones. He said recently that he would drop to MW or go up to HW to avoid this fight, then about faced because Jones said he would take it. Crazy how these guys look at it as more than a fight. In football guys crush each other all week long only to go out and play hard on sunday, but if they have friends on the other team do they refuse to play against them, or better yet quit the team they are on and go to another league?
    These guys spar together in the gym, and all sparring is is a punching and kicking each other with a little less force than in a real fight. As many UFC fighters have proven they dont have to hate each other to be successful in the cage so why the split? Why all the drama? It comes down to money I think, as we see a lot of these fueds- Penn vs Sherk comes to mind where they hated each other up until the end of the fight and Penn says it was all just talk to hype the fight.

• boomnutz says:

just to add to your point tna…we hear all the time about offensive and defensive players getting into fights with one another during practice, and some HCes encourage it…yet they’re still apart of the same time, still trying to attain the same goal…

MCM, i think everyone realizes he’s directing it at G. Jackson, but he’s still a punk and everyone realizes it, and he’s probably just pointing a finger at Jackson for 2 reasons: first he doesn’t want his pretty little face to get busted up worse than it’s already going to get busted up and two I think he realizes that Jones is a crowd favorite and even more people would turn on him if he pointed a finger a Jones, he would come away looking petty and resentful

I don’t think Rashad is a punk…

• fanoftna33 says:

I think he is doing great business wise as the UFC is sure to take this storyline and run wild with it (Hulkamaina styly Rece)

• Dufresne says:

I don’t think he’s a punk, I think he’s getting pissy for a dumb reason. Apparently he told Greg Jackson he didn’t want Jones training there, but seriously, who does that? That’s a dick move. “Hey coach, I know this kid has phenomenal potential, acts classy, and seems to be a good guy, but I don’t want him here at this gym. Why? Umm… because… because he’s taller than me. That’s it…”

One, it’s not Rashad’s gym. Last I checked it was calledJackson-Winkeljohn Mixed Martial Arts. Rashad may have been a long time member and probably an instructor for some of the classes, but that doesn’t mean he gets to decide who trains there. I’m sure the senior guys get some say when bringing someone new in, but unless the new guy has something about their character, personality, habits, or past that could hurt the gym or it’s reputation why would he try and block it?

Two, unless a person is hiding something or is detrimental to your gym, why would you want to deny anyone the chance to train or learn? I know it’s a competitive sport, but blocking someone else’s development because they might be a threat a few years down the road? There’s only one word for that: douchebag.

Why not take advantage of training next to a guy with the skills Jones has? You could learn to be a bit more creative in your striking, practice fighting someone with a significant reach advantage, get better at takedown defense with a guy who has more leverage than you, get better at fighting off your back against a larger opponent and so on. MMA is evolving, and eventually almost every fighter is going to be the smaller, slower, or weaker guy in the cage. Seems to me that training for that day before it comes is a better solution and use of your time than trying to block those guys from training.

• stone says:

Is there any ol schoolers that remember Riggs vs Hughes? Riggs was a peeon over at the Militech camp… He takes the fight on short notice (due to Karo Parisan injury) and fights Matt Hughes??? LMAO! Funny ass hell, man! I don’t even think he made weight for the belt! Anyways Roagan n Goldie start talkin bout Pat, Tim Sylvia, Lawler and the rest of tHe GoOd oL BoyZ told Riggs to hit the fuckin ROAD!!! NiCe! Guess that was when there really were “teams”… Or maybe the ‘un-written’ rule is : STICK WITH THE CHAMP? I feel Evans is “cock blocker” one minute n then the next I feel kind of bad for him… Everyone’s quick to judge him BUT!!! Imagine if YOU were Shad? Would you have a bit of a bitter feeling? I would! I aint gonna lie… I mean damn man. Rashad has been down with Greg Jackson for yeeeears!… In traditional martial arts, there is a bit more of an “honor code” as compared to UFC but-still-whatever-jussayin… Maybe in Shad’s shoes things are a lil fucked up right now

• stone says:

I think Greg Jackson shouldve stuck with Rashad. Really, think about it. IF Greg Jackson is this “master strategist” everyone claims he is, then show everyone you are by “stratigizing” a win over the “Michael Jordan” of MMA!!! BET MY WHOLE CHECK SHAD N GJ LOSE!!! Those lame ass lay n pray techniques will get exposed for what they reall are!!! Jones could flourish with any camp. I think it would be awesome if Jon Jones worked with a different camp. I’ve never been a fan of Greg or Rashad. Or any of the “Greg Jackson campers”… Can’t help but to like Jon Jones though.