Diego Sanchez not keen on idea of immediate rematch with Martin Kampmann

When the third round of Martin Kampmann and Diego Sanchez’s scrap earlier this month at “UFC Live 3” expired fans were left salivating for a few extra frames in hopes of seeing the continuation of an instant-classic. Their desires were further fueled by Sanchez outpointing his adversary even though he seemed to have taken to bulk of the bout’s damage.

It now appears that wish for additional action from the two talented welterweights has been answered…sort of.

Kampmann, who has lobbied for an immediate re-pairing with Sanchez based on the result, recently drew the attention of “The Dream” via Twitter who responded with not only a hint of mild surprise but also a clear message for the Dane – win a fight first and then maybe they can talk.

“You really want a direct rematch? I trained no boxing! Zero! I just wrestled my ass off,” Sanchez began. “I underestimated your takedown defense and had to resort to my street-fighting loco skills and almost dropped you; I seen your legs. I was not in my best shape.”

Further arguing his case against taking on “The Hitman” a second straight time, Sanchez brought up the fact he hadn’t even asked to fight Jon Fitch after losing a Split Decision while continuing, “Plus you just lost two in a row. You need to get a W (and) then we can talk rematch. Your punches had snap to cut but no power.”

“Almost dropped me??? Nah, as far as I remember you where the only one that got dropped. Wise up,” Kampmann quickly responded.

Likewise, the original Ultimate Fighter winner also denied being damaged beyond superficial wounds in the fight, replying, “Watch it again. I got hit off balance while jumping in for a hook! (It) in no way dazed me not at all. If I can’t get a better fight (where) a win would move me up the ladder, I would love to fight you again!”

In closing Kampmann kept it simple, saying, “Let’s make it happen then,” before boarding a plane to head to Canada.

Sanchez also showed some respect to his newfound rival before moving on, acknowledging, “If we fight again it will be an even better fight. If it happens it happens you’re always a fun fight.”

Kampmann is 17-5 in his career and had lost a Split Decision to top contender Jake Shields last October. Prior to the defeat he had won two in a row with past victories over Paulo Thiago and Carlos Condit to his credit.

Comparably, Sanchez holds an overall record of 23-4 and has put together back-to-back victories including Kampmann and Thiago. He has also found success in the Octagon against respected foes including Ken Florian, Clay Guida, and Strikeforce welterweight title-holder Nick Diaz.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• boomnutz says:

make it happen!

Please DONT make it happen… It’s rematch mania these days… theres so much talent just keep it moving… no immediate rematches unless they are for championships or to settle a very controversial decision. Just my opinion.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 10 Thumb down 6

• boomnutz says:

wasn’t this a very controversial decision???

Well-Done. Thumb up 19 Thumb down 3

• Guthookd says:

I think it was pretty controversial, but still, NO IMMEDIATE REMATCHES!!!

The outcome is what it is and the implications have already been made. I think Diego is right; Kamp needs a win first.

Nothing bothers me more than when I look at someone’s record and they have fought the same guy like 3 times (Fedor ring a bell….they friggin gave Nog 3 shots at him…all losses.. and CC at least 2 or 3 if I remember correctly). Bull shit I say, regardless of the circumstances.

I would much rather see Kampman vs. an unknown (but potentially lethal) opponent on an undercard or a VS./Spike card.

• Guthookd says:

If there is going to be any rematching going on it should be between Nick Diaz and Dirty Sanch. Now there’s one rematch I’d like to see!!

Put Coutour on the card vs. Fedorovna and you got a best selling SF broadcast worthy of PPV.

• fanoftna33 says:

I would love to see a rematch here, but I also really hope they save it for a while. Martin does need a win as Deigo has 2 in a row over good competition so he should get to fight somebody up a little higher, say AJ or Hardy with Martin getting the loser of AJ vs Hardy.

• boomnutz says:

problem solved…Joe did you get this? guaranteed fireworks all the way around

• I agree Guthookd a rematch of Diego Sanchez and Nasty Nick Diaz would be downright AWESOME! Their first fight was great and fairly close, and I think Nick would eat him up this time.

I feel bad for Kampmann, he’s the forgotten WW with alot of skills and is an extremely well rounded fighter. I would like to see him get the loser of Alves vs. Story, or I wouldnt mind seein him head over to strikeforce so we could see some good scraps with him and Daley, Diaz, Cyborg, Noons and a few others. I dont feel it’d make SF look 2nd rate as Martin is comin off 2 splits The Diego loss bein pretty controversial and the Shields one bein a split.

• stone says:

Kampmann has a problem finishing fights… He had more than enough time and chances to finish Sheilds & Sanchez but just didn’t. After all those close decisions (win or lose) I just hope he finishes his next fight. If you don’t like the judges’ calls, quit leavin it to’em….. BTW, I think Condit got ripped off against Kampmann. Keep in mind, I like Kampmann BUT, I CALLZ IT LIKE I SEES IT!

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Diego doesn’t want to lose 2 in a row. ;)

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Did you just say Martin has a problem finishing?
    He has finished 13 of his 17 victories and that is about 50/50 between KO/TKO and submission victories too.
    I know you call it like you see it but you must need glasses.

• Dufresne says:

As close as that fight was, I don’t want to see an immediate rematch. Certain fights pretty much require an immediate rematch, but not near as many as the number that have been getting them.

Markin Kampmann is one of the best WW’s in the world. Yeah he’s lost two in a row and 4-4 in his last 8, but look at who those losses were too: Nate Marquardt, Paul Daley, Jake Shields , and Diego Sanchez. So it’s not exactly like he’s been getting fed cans. Not to mention both the Shields and Sanchez fights were controversial decisions. And I’d go into the guys he’s beaten but no one wants to read a list that long.

• Sykotick says:

The Hitman didn’t finish Shields, who does?
    He didn’t finish Sanchez, (doc stoppage aside) who does?
    He didn’t finish Condit, who has, lately?
    I agree with Mr Logic (shocking really) you need to look at his record and level of competition before saying something as ridiculous as “he can’t finish fights”.

Personally, I want to see a rematch but I’d rather see it later.

• stone says:

I really don’t care who’s ever finished who before. Bottom line is he had Sheilds looking more gassed than ever before, he had Diego beat down as about as bad as BJ did, HE had HIS chances to finish these guys. Seems as once he thinks he has the lead on the score cards, he takes a cruise for the rest of the fight. Then he gets pissed at the decision. I guess I’m the only one who feels this way, oh well…

• Angry Mike says:

Kampmann was on the wrong end of a bullshit decision, imo. I wouldn’t mind seeing a re-match. Sanchez’s statements sound like a guy who’s trying to justify a decision he didn’t deserve.