Michael Bisping labels Nate Marquardt as a “steroid cheat” and “absolute hypocrite”

For the past month Michael Bisping has endured harsh criticism from countless individuals including fans, fighters, and boss Dana White as a result of his unprofessional actions against Jorge Rivera at UFC 127. One of the people taking issue with the Ultimate Fighter Season 3 winner’s decision to illegally knee Rivera and spit at his corner was Nate Marquardt, a fellow middleweight who recently threw his name in the hat of interested options for Bisping by questioning his character and openly expressing a desire to have his fist meet the Brit’s face at some point in the future.

It looks like “The Count” was listening, and while he apparently doesn’t share Marquardt’s interest in a match-up he definitely had a few choice words of his own to offer in response to his peer’s statements as he made clear in a recent discussion with The MMA Hour.

“He’s a steroid cheat, let’s not forget that,” the 32-year replied when asked about Marquardt while referring to 2005 suspension for testing positive for a performance enhancing drug (nandrolone). Marquardt later had the suspension reduced after coming back clean in a subsequent test and proving to the NSAC the substance he used was available over the counter.

“He’s had points taken away for illegally kneeing people himself, and then he goes out talking about me as if I’m Satan or something. The guy’s an absolute hypocrite,” Bisping continued.

Marquardt was penalized at UFC 85 after kneeing a downed Thales Leites in a move ultimately playing a role in the Coloradan losing a Split Decision.

The outspoken Bisping didn’t stop at simply questioning Marquardt’s moral fiber but also brought up important past performances where “Nate the Great” didn’t live up to his nickname.

“He sh*t the bed every time he’s in a main event,” Bisping began. “He’s had three #1 contender fights and a title shot and lost them all. I want to fight the top guys and I think Chael Sonnen for me is the biggest possible name I could get, and that’s what I’m hoping for. Nate Marquardt doesn’t excite me.”

Like Marquardt, Sonnen has also lobbied for a chance to get his hands on Bisping even going so far as to write a letter to UFC matchmaker Joe Silva worded in his own unique style.

As far as Bisping’s reasons for wanting to face him, the 21-3 striker made it clear he felt Sonnen was not only an “amazing fighter” but a “challenge” and close second to champ Anderson Silva as indicated in the Team Quest competitor’s razor-thin loss to “The Spider” at UFC 117.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• elkymbo says:

Give him Chael. The shit talk alone will be worth listening to.
    Chael will smash him then Bisping can piss and moan about him being a steroid cheat.
    It’s definately a fight I want to see.

Well-Done. Thumb up 17 Thumb down 1

I ‘d rather see Chael get the fight… Right or wrong about Nate, Bisping should probably not draw too much attention to himself for a lil while and just focus on his next possible match up…

• Well, with Chael’s contract “on hold” I think that this would be a good matchup anyway. Nate is vicious and Bisping, like him or not, is a good fighter who has only faltered against a former 205 champ, One of the biggest right hands in the business, and one of if not the most beloved former champion in ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL of MMA history. And in 2 of 3 of those he was ultra competitive.
    personally, i think this is Bispings way of getting them to match him up with Nate without directly saying he wants to fight Nate. It could be good.

• Sykotick says:

Idk I personally want them to match him up with Vitor

• climbarock says:

I’m certainly not a Bisping fan, but his response was spot on. He didn’t even mention the Almeida incident (punch after the fight was stopped), or the rather unsportsmanlike way Nate pounded out Palharres when he was signaling to the ref (yes, I know it wasn’t “illegal” and defend yourself at all times, blah blah blah).

That being said, Bisping-Marquardt is a nice matchup. I’d like to see it. Not sure who’d be the favorite.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 8 Thumb down 8

• boomnutz says:

unsportsmanlike?!? if i’m fighting you and you’re on the ground and the ref hasn’t stopped it for any reason and you turn your head you’re damn right i’m gonna knock you the fuck out. It was a stupid move on Rousimar’s behalf, sucked for us too because that was an intriguing fight, but Nate did what anyone would have done.

I think I agree with Syko, Vitor’s got the best chance of knocking him out, and I love seeing Bisping get knocked out, but then again Chael is the funniest one of the three (Nate, Vitor, and Chael) and he would almost undoubtedly pound him, i’m surprised Bisping wants that fight

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 3

• Angry Mike says:

Totally agree with Elkymbo. Both Sonnen and Bisping have mouths on ‘em, and the trash talk before the fight could be legendary. Good fight, too.

• JBAR says:

I dislike Bisping so much I would like to see Brock Lesnar pounding on him.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 9

• climbarock says:

Yes, unsportsmanlike. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. And I don’t think that’s what “anyone would have done.” Plenty of fighters stop when their opponent is complaining to the ref about a foul the ref didn’t see, take low blows for example. But I’ll be sure to defend myself at all times in the unlikely scenario that you and I meet in the cage one day ;)

• Dufresne says:

Hate to admit it, but Bisping’s got a bit of a point. Doesn’t make him any less of a douchebag though.

Well-Done. Thumb up 19 Thumb down 1

• Creature says:

well id rather see chael and bisping more than any fighter vs bisping, the fight hype would be insane with all the talk, and i just love seeing bisping get messed up and chael def would do it very well, but as for bisping talking about nate.. i think bisping should avoid talking crap about anyone that has a nasty right hand or hes gonna end up out cold again.. :D

• I’d like to see Bisping finished and chael hasnt finished anyone since 07…..and nobody worth mentioning since 06…Nate or vitor would probably get the job done…Chael would just ride him around for three rounds and beat the hell out of him…I wanna see Bisping’s toes curl like they did when hendo dropped that bomb on him.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Careful what you ask for Bisping. Best work on your take down defense and do ALOT of work off your back.

I do have to agree the trash talk building up to this match would be off the charts. Neither of them have any idea how to STFU

• boomnutz says:

how many times have you seen a guy grabbing his nuts and the other guy won’t stop coming unless the ref waves him off? especially when the guy wants to time out and the ref doesn’t give it, happens ALL the time. but, i like you’re fighting spirit, and i promise if i accidentally clip you in the balls i’ll give you the full 5

• Screenplaya says:

The prefight between Sonnen and Bisping would make up for the likelihood of yet another boring Sonnen lay and pray performance. I don’t think anyone in UFC history has lead so many of his fights in both advantageous positions, and facial lacerations.