Strikeforce looking to test PPV waters this summer

Following in their parent-company’s footsteps, it appears Strikeforce may take their evolution into a Zuffa brand one step further in July with a PPV event. Though no date or location have been mentioned, nor is anything official, a fight between undefeated Roger Gracie and former Strikeforce 205-pound champion Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal would likely take place on the card if it were to occur.

News of the possibility was first reported by MMAWeekly where it was also confirmed either Lawal or Gracie had already verbally agreed to the match-up.

Though the pending promotion of a Strikeforce PPV is not necessarily a new concept, the notion has certainly picked up steam since the company was purchased by the UFC last month given the Octagon’s regular presence on paid airwaves.

If the event and attached match-up do in fact occur it will mark the first fight for Lawal in nearly a year after injuring his knee this past August against Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante in a title-losing performance while the 4-0 representative of the Gracie family submitted Trevor Prangley in his last outing at a Strikeforce event in January.

Need a great fight to headline and co-headline for this to be a success… King mo coming back from a loss and an injury is a mid card fight at best.

• Angry Mike says:

I watch Strikeforce because I already pay for Showtime. If I had to buy a Srikeforce ppv on top of paying for Showtime, I wouldn’t do it. Most of the time the Showtime fights aren’t any better than some of the regional org’s that are shown on HDNet

• Brendhan Conlan says:

I’m assuming other options for the card include:

Gina Carano vs. TBA (will definitely be a winnable opponent for her return fight)
    Fedor Emelianenko vs. TBA (won’t be at LHW though cause July is prime ice cream season)
    Nick Diaz vs. Jason Miller (based on the potential to include buyrate % for Diaz and get him the money he wants to go up to 185 for the fight)

• Dufresne says:

That is probably the best excuse for not cutting weight I’ve ever heard. And one I can support too.

• MCM says:

Zuffa is taking a big gamble here. They spent years building up the WEC before finally giving them a shot at the PPV market. And once they proved that they had fighters people would pay to see, they rolled them into the UFC. I think this may be the thinking now. We know that Fedor can sell a PPV, but will people pay to see Gina, or Mayhem, or Diaz? And how many people are gonna buy a SF PPV when UFC 131 and 132 are so close and 133 isn’t too far after?
    I think they are either trying to force SF to run through all its money or hoping that they can roll everything under the UFC banner sooner rather than latter.

• k-class says:

Nick Diaz during his rather unsavoury interview with ariel made quite a good point! The UFC is in danger of ruining the name of MMA very quickly if it keeps sucking up organisations and changing the rules to suit them! Right now, I don’t think any of us should be parting with hard earned cash to watch mma paperview, or putting together superfights! Mma is exploding big time, and yes, thanks in part to the UFC! But that’s what it is, many people will grow up thinking they are watching a sport called UFC, not martial arts! I like the thought of the merger on one hand, but we need more belts, a promised structure, and a step by step format for people earning a title shot

• MickeyC says:

“UFC is in danger of ruining the name of MMA very quickly if it keeps sucking up organisations and changing the rules to suit them! ”
    I hope you are not refering to the elbows on the ground. I support the change 100%!