Randy Couture calling it quits after UFC 129

The timeless saying about all good things coming to an end rang true for MMA fans today when former double-divisional champion, and icon of the sport, Randy Couture confirmed his intentions to hang up his gloves for good after mixing it up with Lyoto Machida at UFC 129.

Couture’s decision to retire was first reported by ESPN and elaborated on during a conference call with media relating to the April 30 event.

“It’s time to focus on the other things I’ve got going on in my life after this fight,” Couture explained. “I’ve pushed it pretty far. I don’t think anyone is going to push it as far as I have over the last fourteen years.”

As far as his reasoning, “The Natural” made it clear it was simply time to move on rather than a forced issue, saying, “I feel healthy, I feel great. I can still compete at this level. I just don’t want to stretch it. I don’t want to wait until I have that injury and have doctors telling me I can’t fight anymore. I want to enjoy the rest of my life right now. I don’t want to wait too long.”

“Win, lose, or draw doesn’t factor into the equation,” he concluded after being asked whether or not a victory over Machida could change his mind.

Future endeavors for Couture include roles in a pair of upcoming films, including the sequel to The Expendables which starts filming in August, as well as a possible return to the broadcast booth alongside Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg.

Pending the outcome of his fight with Machida, Couture will exit MMA with a 19-10 record (plus/minus the performance) and memorable wins including those over Tim Sylvia, Vitor Belfort, Tito Ortiz, and Chuck Liddell in addition to many others.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I really hope his fight with Lyoto isn’t boring and both men try to finish the other-Couture will always be one of my idols on many levels

• Creature says:

Damn.. this really sucks, but gotta quit sometime i guess. now i REALLY hope he wins this.. i dont want to see someone like couture go out on a loss like chuck

• As if this card wasnt already history in the making…damn.

One of my favorite fighters… Even if he came back for one more “interesting” match up I’d be down with it.

• JOEgun says:

I like Randy. If he says its time to go then its time to go. My prediction is he will lose to Machida, but i wouldnt say it would be the same as Chucks exit. Im glad Randy doesnt care about the outcome though.

• Angry Mike says:

He said the outcome wouldn’t affect his decision about retirement. I think he cares a lot about winning. And if he can cut off the ring, close the distance, and get his hands on Machida for some of his trademark clinch work, he’s got a chance. If Machida can stick and move and keep Couture at the end of his punches, it’ll be a long night and a decision loss for Couture.

• MCM says:

The only fight left for Randy that would peak my interest is Fedor. I know it’s closer to happening now than anytime in history, but I won’t hold my breath.
    Randy is the definition of “Legend” in this sport and to be able to go out on his own terms is only appropriate.
    Can’t wait for Saturday night.

• jasonah says:

Yes I agree with a earlier poster,I think this is going to be a long grueling fight. I see some one winning by decision.most likley Machida.Like some one said” I think Randy cares alot about winning” is exactly right.Any competitor at that level does not train to lose.If he was by some way to be able to stop lyoto. does anyone else think it would hard for him really hard to leave on a win ?whatever way it goes down “Hats off to him” he is a true legend, and most likely of the baddest men that walk the planet.He will most likely be just like Chuck, and work for the U.F.C at some capacityfor years to come.