Nick Diaz’s next opponent will be…

…a boxer, at least barring a last-minute deal from the UFC to fight Georges St. Pierre later this year.

According to a press release from former IBF middleweight champ Jeff Lacy’s management team he has signed to fight Nick Diaz at a yet-to-be announced event this fall. A bout between the two had been rumored for months when Diaz first started publicizing his genuine intent to give the sweet science a go and hopefully increase his income in the process.

When contacted for comment on the situation Cesar Gracie by MMAWeekly, Diaz’s trainer and manager, confirmed the match-up was in place and would only be prevented by the UFC offering up St. Pierre “as a sacrifice”.

The prospect of a cross-promotional fight between the talented welterweight champs was amped up a level this past weekend at UFC 129 based up on comments from promotional head Dana White who explained he planned to meet with Diaz to sway him from boxing and acknowledged Diaz was the only legitimate challenge currently waiting for St. Pierre at 170-pounds.

If the two sides are unable to come to an agreement Diaz will look to build on his 1-0 record as a professional boxer against a 25-4 competitor in the sport. Lacy’s last fight came in December where he was outpointed by Dhafir Smith who holds an overall record of 24-20-7.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• bigbadjohn says:

Go Nickkkk, it’s your birthdayyyy

• bigbadjohn says:

If Lacy was in his prime we’d probably see the difference between boxing and MMA boxing but I think Nick may have a chance here

• Niv says:

With the UFC already floating Diaz’ name for a possible shot at GSP, I think Nick is crazy if he takes this fight.

Any ex-top boxer will run circles around any mma fighter in this game. Lacey will school Diaz in boxing as there’s absolutely no doubt as to what would happen if the scenario’s were reversed.

Before Diaz’ name was mentioned to fight GSP I thought great call as the money is potentially large for this, now I’d say push for the title shot 1st, boxing second.

• MCM says:

So….Nick is gonna go from making $175k fighting a top MMA fighter to making $? fighting a boxer that is completely irrelevant to boxing cause he thinks there’s a bid payday? I’d be surprised if he makes $100k fighting Lacy. Forget boxing Nick, make Dana pay you a 1/4 mil to fight GSP in Canada if you’re so worried about money. Cause even an irrelevant boxer that hasn’t looked good in 6 years can put your lights out.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Until I see Diaz in a boxing ring I think a lot of the talk about boxing is a means of posturing to get a bump up in salary.

• bigbadjohn says:

I can’t believe that thought escaped me Mr. Conlan, it does make a lot of sense. And it could mean dollars for Nick because I’d imagine boxing fans/ promoters would love to see a MMA champion get schooled in the sweet science. I’d love to see Nick in the ring accidentily shooting for a heel hook after catching a few from Lacy, mind you.

• hindsightufuk says:

i think nick has the hand skills for boxing just not sure about the feet. never seen nick do anything remotely boxing orientated with his foot work

• MickeyC says:

if zuffa pulls nick from SF to UFC completely, put a fork in SF. They will be all but dead. It’s only a matter of time before their HW tourny winner will be fighting the UFC champ too.

• One thing I think everyone is forgetting is that Nick doesnt need to have perfect boxing technique when fighting in MMA…its MMA, he needs to be ready to throw kicks, shoot, defend a shot or work to guard from a shot on him. If he’s going to box then he’ll do it properly. I’d bet he has a better chin than the average boxer and similar handspeed. Let’s not forget KJ Noons is a fairly successful boxer and Nick beat him somewhat handily in their last encounter.

That being said I’d rather see him continue to spend time working with Sonnen(as much as I dont like Sonnen) and defending those merciless double legs that Chael does better than anyone. If Nick could stay off his back I seriously think he’d beat the hell out of GSP on his feet. GSP’s foot work was great against Kos’s one looping overhand right, its visible from a mile away. But with Nick you’ve got hooks that change direction from wherever they’re headed to wherever he needs them. Georges showed his standup isnt near what they seem to make it sound like, his movement is just superb. I really think Nick and GSP make the most interesting WW matchup right now.

I would like to see Nick take on Kos first though….anyone but Condit…I dont wanna have to choose between the two.

• Dominance says:

First of all I am a HUGE Nick Diaz fan, and I’ll be the first to admit that although he may be the worst at talking in front of a camera, he should do just fine in this fight. He was already trying to sign to fight Roy Jones Jr a while back, then Vargas, now Lacy. I know he’s a cocky fighter (If ain’t braggin if you can back it up) but you don’t just sign up to get your head knocked off by former champs if you don’t think you’ll win. He claims to be training with a lot of top boxers so I doubt if he wasn’t showing them up he wouldn’t be asking for a fight like this. It’s crazy dangerous for him to be doing this, but hey if you train hard and love to fight why not test your skills? SF sure isn’t doing that for him. I also think this might be a 2nd handed try at increasing his pay some way or another…I can’t say I blame him for it! I don’t think his camp would let him take on a former boxing champ if they didn’t think he was going to win. I think it’ll be way for harder for Lacy to train for Nick’s style than Lacy may think. Can’t wait to see this fight! Get that money playboy! haha

superdave- Condit vs Diaz was the first fight that came to my mind if Diaz came back to UFC too! I think that would be a sick fight :)

• Rich S. says:

I don’t think this is a good idea. Nick has way too much momentum right now.

Even the best boxer in MMA will be lost in a boxing match with a professional boxer. But going straight in against Left Hook Lacy? That just sounds crazy.

A professional boxer, no matter the caliber, will almost always beat a mixed martial artist in a boxing match. They have more power, more speed, and more stamina. It’s what they train for.

And, of course, a mixed martial artist will almost always beat a boxer in an MMA bout.

Nick is very talented but I don’t think this is smart.

• hindsightufuk says:

the sooner people accept that boxing and mma are different sports the better. its like cricket and baseball, football and rugby; similar concepts (plus all ridiculously gay) but you dont walk from one to the other succesfully. are there any athletes in history that have excelled in more than one sport?
    and i mean excelled, none of these ex football fuckwits who try out in mma

Uh Jim Thorpe, Bo Jackson, Deon Sanders, Donavan McNabb, Hershal Walker…

• hindsightufuk says:

you’ll have to help me out with these guys, donavan mcnabb is a sucecsful football player, what else did he do?(succesfully, as successfully as football?)?
    Hershel Walker might have been a succesful ball player but you know for sure he would get eaten alive by a legit fighter. just participating doesnt in mma beating on bloated middleweights doesnt count.
    i’ll give you jim thorpe as a perfect example, so thanks
    dont know Deon Sanders, and i dont know enough about bo’s football career to comment

• Dufresne says:

I agree with a few of your examples Reece, but I can’t include Walker or McNabb.

Walker was an amazing football player, but he’s only got 2 pro fights so far and neither were against even middle of the pack opponents.

McNabb is a Hall of Fame quarterback, but football is the only pro sport he played. Sure he was a good college basketball player, but so were Stromoli Smith

• Dufresne says:

McNabb is a Hall of Fame quarterback, but football is the only pro sport he played. Sure he was a good college basketball player, but so were Stromile Smith, Jonathan Bender, and Robert “Tractor” Traylor.

Walker- i was talking about his Olympic bobsledding run…

McNabb – Just the fact he was a NCAA basketball player and football player I thought was a remarkable feat let alone going on to the NFL…

• Sykotick says:

Suprise fact, I freakin hate Nick Diaz, and I can’t wait for him to realize that his MMA style boxing isn’t going to hold up in an actual boxing ring.

Wait till he realizes that boxing is more than just jabs hooks straights crosses and uppercuts.
    Footwork, body movement, head movements, box blocking, etc.

But alas I wish Nick all the luck in the world and hope he smashes all boxers and leaves MMA for good,

People may not like that, but hey I’d be happy.

• TSU21 says:

BO JACKSON, DEION SANDERS, BRIAN JORDAN but you also have to understand thier our a bunch of athletes that can or would excel in another sport but dont have the time for two..julius peppers was pretty good at north carolina and would be a good nba player…your crazy not to think that lebron james wouldnt excel as a nfl TE, kenny loften was very good at arizona but chose baseball..tom glavin was drafted in the first round in hockey, derrick was a high school all amercian in basketball also, sometimes it just involves what you love playing the most when you have those options….another one to come to mind is gabe goss, college qb at auburn but has been in the majors for years now

• TSU21 says:

BO JACKSON, DEION SANDERS, BRIAN JORDAN but you also have to understand thier our a bunch of athletes that can or would excel in another sport but dont have the time for two..julius peppers was pretty good at north carolina and would be a good nba player…your crazy not to think that lebron james wouldnt excel as a nfl TE, kenny loften was very good at arizona but choose baseball..tom glavin was drafted in the first round in hockey, derrick lee was a high school all amercian in basketball also, sometimes it just involves what you love playing the most when you have those options….another one to come to mind is gabe goss, college qb at auburn but has been in the majors for years now

• boomnutz says:

hindsight…do you really not know who prime time is?!?! that’s a travesty. There’s thousands of athletes that played multiple sports but that doesn’t change the fact that Nick Diaz is going to get smoked. If the roles were reversed I would say the exact same thing about Lacy. For the record, i’m a huge Diaz fan, but he’s going to get smoked by GSP too. if he’s bound to get smoked no matter what, he might as well get paid for it. BTW i thought “smoked” was an appropriate adjective considering the subject matter

• MCM says:

hindsight….
    Dan Henderson was an Olympic Wrestler. Fedor was a 6 time combat sambo champion before entering MMA. Alister Overeem left MMA for a year and became the #1 ranked kickboxer in the world. It’s not Cricket to Baseball, but combat sport to combat sport.
    I personally think Diaz is gonna get his ass handed to him, but I wouldn’t say it’s impossible for him to make the transition to pure boxing.