Downes, Cope, and Kingsbury top TUF 13 Finale medical suspensions

Though the majority of competitors who took to the Octagon this past Saturday night at the Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale escaped the event without serious injury, at least three are looking at an involuntary break from action potentially lasting until early December based on the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s list of medical suspensions stemming from the show.

According to the NSAC’s official findings, Kyle Kingsbury, Danny Downes, and Chris Cope will need to receive a physician’s clearance if hoping to fight again before December 2 due to injuries involving bone/tissue damage.

Specifically, Kingsbury suffered a broken left-orbital in his “Fight of the Night” winner against Fabio Maldonado who himself has been suspended for six weeks after sustaining a laceration to his right eyelid.

Downes and Cope appear to be in slightly better shape than Kingsbury though each will still need to receive doctor’s approval or negative X-ray results in order to return to the ring in the next six months. Downes is listed with “possible right-hand and left-shoulder” injuries, while Cope is said to have “possible broken thumbs.”

The other seven fighters on the NSAC report should all be back by summer’s end with mandated vacations all involving precautionary reasons.

Read below for a detailed listing of the TUF 13 Finale medical suspensions:

Justin Edwards –Suspended until July 5 with no contact until June 26 for precautionary reasons
Shamar Bailey – Suspended until July 5 with no contact until June 26 due to a right-cheek laceration
Josh Grispi – Suspended until June 26 with no contact until June 19 for precautionary reasons
Danny Downes – Suspended until Dec. 2 due to possible right-hand and left-shoulder injuries; can be cleared early by X-rays and/or an orthopedic doctor; suspended until July 20 with no contact until July 5 for precautionary reasons
Chris Cope – Suspended until Dec. 2 due to possible broken thumbs; can be cleared early by X-rays and/or an orthopedic doctor
Fabio Maldonado – Suspended until July 20 with no contact until July 5 due to a right-eyelid laceration
Kyle Kingsbury – Suspended until December 2 due to left-orbital fracture; can be cleared early an ophthalmologist or ENT doctor; suspended until July 20 with no contact until July 5 due to a facial laceration
Tim Credeur – Suspended until July 5 with no contact until June 26 for precautionary reasons
Ramsey Nijem – Suspended until July 20 with no contact during training until July 5 for precautionary reasons

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

Kyle Kingsbury – Suspended until December 2 due to left-orbital Zombie eye…

Chris Cope – Suspended until Dec. 2 due to possible broken voice box due to yelling wooo like a Re`Tard.

• boomnutz says:

Rece…that stings. Who can’t appreciate a good Ric Flair style “wooooo” . I know I do!!

• boomnutz says:

Also, am I the only one that thought Kingsbury lost that fight? I know it was close and I don’t think it was an egregious error but I thought he def. lost at least 2 of the 3 rounds, and the first could have went either way too. Also, well i’m speaking about Maldonado, does anyone else notice how a lot of foreign fighters don’t get into as good shape as American fighters? Obviously there are exceptions, but generally speaking I think there’s a lot of fact behind my statement. Maldonado seemed like he could have easily moved down a weight class. Shogun’s another guy I always feel could up his game that much more if he was in better physical condition. I don’t know, just curious what everyone else thinks…

• MCM says:

Everyone looks out of shape compared to Kingsbury. And no, you’re not alone. I thought he lost too, but it was very close.

There were no “losers” in that fight both guys gained alot…neither will have to worry about getting booked to fight again that’s for sure.

And YES I definately love da Nature boy WOOOO’s but just not from Cope…especially in btn rounds, You never know what’s going to happen in a MMA fight the last thing you want to do is get gassed or get winded from a body shot and 30 secs before you were wooing like a tart…its just not a good look…save your energy & if your a pro act like one.

• Dufresne says:

I gotta admit, the first couple wooo’s from Cope made me smile, but after a bit it got annoying. However, when the crowd got into it, it never got old. Took me back to the glory days of The Nature Boy.

I’m a limousine ridin jet plane flyin kiss stealin Wheelin & dealing son of a gun Woooooo