Chael Sonnen draws Brian Stann in his UFC return

The drawn out saga of Chael Sonnen will finally come to an end in October when he officially returns to action against middleweight contender Brian Stann at UFC 136. The fight is slated to be the co-main event of the Houston PPV, a card rumored to feature Cain Velasquez defending his heavyweight belt against Junior dos Santos

News of the fight was first reported by Heavy.com and has since been confirmed by the UFC.

Sonnen hasn’t stepped foot inside the Octagon since UFC 117, where he lost to middleweight king Anderson Silva by triangle choke in the fifth round after dominating the prior 23 minutes of the fight. Sonnen was scheduled to get an immediate rematch for the belt but was busted for performance enhancing drugs and was suspended indefinitely by the California State Athletic Commission after a lengthy set of hearings. Sonnen’s suspension in the state of California should not hinder his ability to get licensed in the state of Texas, which is one of the more laid back commissions in the country. Despite not competing since last August, Sonnen has stayed in the headlines via twitter, where he’s continued to trash talk “The Spider” and his teammate Lyoto Machida.

Stann isn’t likely to get caught up in Sonnen’s war of words as he prefers to do his talking inside the cage with his fists. Since dropping to middleweight in August 2010, Stann has posted victories over Mike Massenzio, Chris Leben, and Jorge Santiago to put him near the top of the division. A win over Sonnen could put him in line for a title shot early next year.

UFC 136 is scheduled for October 6 at the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas. Along with the event will be a two-day UFC Fan Expo.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Guthookd says:

Well, I don’t think I could have come up with a worse match for Brian. The guy still has nothing to offer on the ground, much less off his back, which is where he’s going to be most of the fight.

Chael wins easy.

Well-Done. Thumb up 13 Thumb down 3

• Dufresne says:

I was hoping they’d make Sonnen v Machida to be honest. Chael called out Lyoto and Lyoto basically said “bring it.” It would have been interesting to see how that turned out.

This fight is kinda strange to be honest. We’ve got a dominant wrestler with decent striking against a powerful striker with decent takedown defense. I’m pretty sure Stann will end up on his back at some point, but honestly I’m not sure what’s gonna happen other than that.

• Creature says:

Its been a while since ive had the time to comment on here.. but ill say right now, whoever wins this fight is definitely deserving of a title shot.. Sonnen with his last fight being jaw dropping exciting and surprising along with his very clever and cruel way with words = great PPV sell. with a win over Stann should put him right back in the top of the MW ladder.

Stann has shown great skill and potential and has been very impressive, with a win over Sonnen it would solidify his spot at the top 3 in the division for sure. cant wait for this one

Well-Done. Thumb up 10 Thumb down 0

• Angry Mike says:

Because of his military service, I won’t root or bet against Stann. However, Sonnen has very fast takedowns, and once he’s in top position he stays there. Tough draw for Stann.

Well-Done. Thumb up 10 Thumb down 0

• MCM says:

Sonnen is tough no doubt, but let’s not forget that Stann put Leben down, and the only other fighter to do that is the undisputed best MW ever. Chael better watch those knees coming in or he’s gonna be the one winding up on bottom.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Tough match for both men. Obviously it all depends on where the majority of the fight takes place. Chael is decent on his feet but, trading punches is only an avenue to a take down and GnP.

Stann has very heavy hands and average take down defense and no real ground game so whomever can keep the other where they want him will obviously be heavily favored. That being said I think Chael takes this because I don’t see him not being able to get it to the ground.

I wonder how Chael can possibly come up with nasty inappropriate things to say about Stann. Dude is a legit hero and I think any trash talk that gets personal above the typical ” I’m gonna win this fight this way” kinda trash talk might just backfire on Sonnen in some way.

I would still like to see Stann leave Sonnen in a bloody unconscious pile I just don’t see him being able to keep on his feet long enough to do it.

• fanoftna33 says:

Not a bad match up at all, give the guy who almost beat Silva( and lied to everybody on earth about everything) a match against a true up and coming star. We will find out just how good Stann is here.

• JabCrossHook says:

I think Stann has a very good chance to win depending on what version of Chael shows up.

Keep in mind Stann has been fighting consistently against good opponents and Chael has been on a long lay off and if he did do PEDs then he might not be able to absorb damage as mush as what he endured in the Anderson fight trying to get it to the ground. He was successful but Silva made him pay by wobbling him a few times and dropping him with that elbow. Not sure if he can take as much punishment then when he was on PEDs.

• TerribleT says:

Co-main event……5 rounds?? The final fight is supposedly going to be for the UFC Heavyweight title and of course will be scheduled for 5 rounds so I doubt there’s any way they’ll have Sonnen and Stann scheduled for 5 too.

• climbarock says:

For me, this will be a hard fight to watch. I’d love to see Stann turn Sonnen into an unconscious, bloodied heap in the octagon, but I think Stann is going to get grapple-f*cked. Sonnen is a grinder, fans seem to have forgotten that.

• stone says:

Chael 2010 would blow right through Stann 2010….. But this fight will be late 2011… Stann is looking better than he ever has & Chael is going to have to be a bit rusty with the long lay-off & no PED’s… Can’t wait for this fight though. I’m a Chael Sonnen fan, thru n thru!

• let not also forget that Stann Subbed Mike Massenzio with a triangle choke so his game off his back does exist. Of course workin with Jackson and guys like JBJ If Stann works really hard on his takedown D he may, just may be able to stay on his feet long enough to be the first to tko chael….sadly i doubt it.

First… This match is tailored for Cheal to make a B line right back to the rematch with Silva, which I think is bullshit and basically all business for Zuffa BUT I guess when you don’t have much on the MW plate what else is there to do?!? I can tell you this much if DW wants to be taken seriously in the main stream media he can’t pick and choose who to make an example of… he needs to set a precident and stick to it… Cheal Sonnen is NOT a headlining star athlete in my eyes, and not worthy of putting a business in any jeopordy.

Second… U wanna see the real Sonnen then watch that clip of him in the van with the ax murderer, he’s a pussy.

• JOEgun says:

i dont like either guy. chael for his uncontrollable shit talk and piles of lies and stann the christian american military poster boy for the shit he said to monson.

i think chael wins though

• Dufresne says:

They’ve been talking about doing 5 round non-title fights lately and I want to say I heard that they’ve been approved. I’m hoping they don’t use them for too many non-title fights mostly because they really limit the number of fights on the televised card.

• bigbadjohn says:

Tailor made for Sonnens next title shot as previously pointed out. A huge LOL at Rece. Chael’s a pussy? Okaaaaay Rece, you get a mulligan for that one. Because pussy’s beat down p4p ultimate fighting Champs all the time…

• bigbadjohn says:

If y’all haven’t noticed, although Chael is a heel, he is still very much a company man. If Sonnen had have turned around and told Wandy to go back to his “disease harboring” country – pretty sure fireworks would go off. Then you have a “ultimate fighter” brawling outside of the octagon with another peer, and a sure
    Media circus ( see Mayhem brawl), something that our sport, and Dana especially, doesn’t want to deal with. And if you’re suggesting Sonnen woulnt sign on the dotted line to fight Silva, that’s even crazier. Chael may seem boisterous and wild but he’s actually quite calculated

• Guthookd says:

I haven’t seen that clip Rece; I’ll have to go find it at some point.

Chael a pussy….man, I can’t believe that at all. I think he’d put a fucking murder on Wanderlei. Chael is no joke. I’d love to train with that guy.

• MCM says:

Anyone see the vid of Ariel Hawany (sp) interviewing Chael about Wandy. Here are just a few choice things Sonnen said about the Ax Murderer and Brazil.

“Wanderlei, you are an immigrant from Brazil. I am a gangster from America. Are you sure you wanna play that game with me? Listen Wanderlei, I will do a home invasion on you. I will cut the power to your house and the next thing you’ll hear is me climbing up your stairs in a pair of night vision goggles I bought in the back of Soldier of Fortune magazine. I’ll pick the lock to the master room door, take a picture of you in bed with the Nogueira brothers working on your “jiu-jitsu”. I’ll take said quote unquote photograph, post it at http://www.dorksfrombrazil.com, password – not required, username – not required. That, Wanderlei, is how you threaten someone. Dummy.”

and on Brazil……

” You have to understand. If I say something in a very private manner that isn’t intended for a certain audience, come on, you can’t hold that against me. I picked my medium very carefully when I talked about Brazil. I went to the internet. And if I had the foggiest idea that they had computers in Brazil, I wouldn’t have done that.

I was in Las Vegas when the Nogueira brothers first touched down in America.There was a bus, this is a true story. There was a bus that pulled up to a red light, and Little Nog tried to feed it a carrot, while Big Nog was petting it. He thought it was a horse. This really happened. He tried to feed a bus a carrot, and now you’re telling me this country has computers? I didn’t know that!”

yes Chael is a dick and a criminal, but he’s also got the best sound bites in MMA.

• bigbadjohn says:

Great interview eh MCM? but you left out the part about GSP which would be the most useful soundbite for the people around here that think GSPs overrated, or boring. Chael gives insight that will hopefully help these peabrains that hate on St Pierre understand cage fighting a bit more

• elkymbo says:

I heard that whoever wins tvis fight is going to play Captain Americai in the Avengers movie and the loser is going to be Robin in Batman. I think I’ve had too many beers.

Hey Guthookd it’s on the web…
    Basically they both were in a van doing PR for Zuffa last year and it’s right around when Sonnen was poppin shit about the Nog’s and Silva… But was also sayin shit about Brazil in general and basically in a really calm yet “ax murderer” way Wandi talks to sonnen about respect and the fact that the guys he mocks are the history of the sport of mma… Sonnen just sits there nodding respectfully and says nothing to the contrary… So next time you guys think Sonnen backs up his words watch that clip and you’ll see a man spoken to like a school boy learning some knowledge. If he wasn’t a pussy he would would of said hey Wandi were in Vegas this ain’t Brazil STFU and enjoy the ride, But no he sat there and was nothing but respectful to a guy he talks shit about… Cheal Sonnen is a douche.

Here’s a quote from the clip:
    “In Brazil, we have a saying,” he tells Sonnen. “You have respect, you don’t lose your teeth.”

Wanderlei asks Sonnen when he would fight Anderson again…
    Sonnen answers “I’ll fight Anderson again in new year’s day” and Silva goes on to say:

Silva
    “Good… You were doing very well with him. But I’m thinking… You said some things to promote that fight that were pretty good, but you need to be careful when saying things about Brazil, and saying bad things about Brazil. You don’t know Brazil. When you don’t know the place, you have to respect it.”

Sonnen
    “Sure. But that’s not entirely true, I’ve been to Brazil actually.”

Silva
    “You’ve been to Brazil, but I am Brazilian. You are talking about the Nogueira brothers… These guys are the history of the sport. You need to respect these guys. If you challenge Anderson, one on one, that’s ok. Doing the promotion thing is good. But you need to respect these guys and respect the country, you know. You need to have a good conduct about that. Don’t do that any more, because that’s dangerous you know?”

Sonnen
    “Sure”

Silva
    “In Brazil we have a saying… If you have respect, you don’t lose your teeth. In Brazil we say that. So give respect, cause we don’t know about the future, you know?”

Sonnen
    “Sure. Thank you.” – He nods and looks away

• fanoftna33 says:

None of that surprises me Rece, I think Sonnen truly is the best example of a guy who has attained the true spirit of the martial art of the keyboard warrior.

• bigbadjohn says:

Glad you transcribed that video Rece… Very stirring evidence to your “pussy” claim (not). So Sonnen, quite indifferently, gives short answers to Wandy? Now link to every fight Chael talked trash and came out and delivered in the octagon like he’s supposed to

• bigbadjohn says:

Not to mention Wanderlei wouldn’t ever sign on to fight Chael, as Sonnen so elequantly addressed in his latest interview, so who’s the real pussy? Sure Silva talks with the camera rolling in a van full of people but will he take Chael up on his “fighting words”? I think not

Whatever… the guys a tool. I hope he lays on Stann gets the W and gets a rematch with Silva and a healthy Silva batters him.

• Dufresne says:

In Brazil, we have a saying, “You have respect, you don’t lose your teeth.”

Love it.

• Angry Mike says:

Sad to say, but ‘Wand’s fighting days are over, imo. He just doesn’t have the chin for it any more. It was more than a little sad for me to see him stretched out on the canvas when Leben ko’d him. No mas.

And for what it’s worth, I’d love to see a Monson v. Stann fight. Think about the hype! Capt. America v. an anti-American, tatted-up orangoutang. Priceless!

• Creature says:

I think it would be good to mention that when Chael was responding to Wandy, with the expression on his face and his tone, he was obviously be kinda a smartass to him.. like he didnt care what Wandy had to say.. and its like bigbadjohn said, hes not gonna say something outragious and start a street brawl with him and Wandy being UFC superstars.. hes smarter than that

• Creature says:

being* outrageous* lol sorry my spelling lately has been slacking

• bigbadjohn says:

Lays… With 300 punches and not a single referee stand-up. Wonder what bullshit excuse Silva will have after spending 5 rounds under Yushin at 134? And don’t label me a “hater”, Yushin and Chael are the only 2 I see capable of beating the Spider at 185

• JabCrossHook says:

Chael knew that Wand would mess him up in a street fight. Wand started off in vale tudo, no holds barred type off matches, that wrestling Chael would bring to the table will get him wrecked in a street fight where everything is allowed.

• edub says:

Okami isn’t Chael, he’s gonna get blasted.

The only other guy at MW who had a chance against Anderson was Jake Shields.

• Sykotick says: