Carlos Condit, not Jon Fitch, likely next up for B.J. Penn

It appears top welterweights Jon Fitch and B.J. Penn will have to wait a little longer to settle the score from their Draw this past February after already watching a July rematch fall apart for health-related reasons. However, injuries are not the culprit this time around as it appears dwindling fan interest will dictate the delay in the two talented 170ers throwing down a second time.

The surprising shift in matchmaking first came to light late Monday afternoon when Penn took to his Twitter and, in a message directed to Fitch, said UFC VP of Talent Relations Joe Silva had relayed the public’s preference to him in an earlier conversation and explained the company would not be having them fight again this October as had been rumored.

Now a new candidate has surfaced as a possibility for the popular Hawaiian with contendership implications still very much in the equation – Carlos Condit.

Both fighters have publicly agreed to the match-up through Twitter with Penn referring to UFC 137 as the targeted event. If the bout does indeed occur on October 29 the two will join a lineup already scheduled to feature another pair of highly-touted welterweights with Georges St. Pierre defending his UFC title in headlining action against former Strikeforce champion Nick Diaz.

The 27-5 Condit has had his hands raised in four straight outings including back-to-back finishes in the first round against Dan Hardy and most recently Dong Hyun Kim at UFC 132 bringing his remarkable total of stoppages to twenty six in twenty seven total victories . He also holds wins in the Octagon against Rory MacDonald and Jake Ellenberger as well as experienced past success against Brock Larson and Frank Trigg.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Makington says:

I gota say I like this fight a lot more. Seeing Penn fight Fitch again is a bit of a shame in my opinion, because Fitch just doesn’t have exciting fights. Seeing Penn fight someone who will match him in intensity will be a great fight no matter what. And with how well rounded they are, I can’t wait to see how BJ’s boxing matches up with Condit’s well rounded kickboxing style and aggressiveness, as well as Condit matching his bjj against Penn’s will be very interesting. I would like to see Condit pull out a finish here because of his tenacity but this one is a very tough one to call.

• Creature says:

I see Penn putting up a good fight then gassing in the late 2nd or early 3rd and Carlos Condit taking this by TKO in the last min or so in the fight

• matt says:

I like this fight as I think it is going to be action packed, but on the other hand I do not think there should be a number one contender fight in the welterweight division that does not involve Jon Fitch. Jon Fitch is 13-1-1 in the ufc with his only loss coming to St. Pierre. He has beaten everybody put in front of him and took St. Pierre the distance. He might not have the most exciting fights, but he wins and that is the most important thing. He takes guys out of there element and makes them fight his fight, he is relentless and gritty and won’t stop coming forward, he is also tough as hell.

Also if you cannot beat Jon Fitch you cannot beat GSP. Everybody criticizes Fitch for going to decisions in all of his fights, St. Pierre is not much better. He has won by decision in his last 4 fights and 5 out of his last 6. Fitch and St. Pierre have similar grinding styles that force their opponent to fight there fight. They try to grind you out with their wrestling and tiring you out before putting you away if possible. the only difference is St. Pierre is better at it and has a belt around his waist.

JON FITCH SHOULD BE IN THE UFC WELTERWEIGHT DIVISION’S NUMBER ONE CONTENDER FIGHT NO MATTER WHAT!!!!

• fanoftna33 says:

I think this makes for a great match up. Condit is unlikely to try and take BJ down and both have some real power in there fist’s so even though it is likely to be a 5 round fight I dont see these guys making it all 5.
    Also agree with Matt about the #1 status as Fitch has more than earned the right to be in that contendership fight but I think the problem here is when Fitch is able to come back from his injury.

• stone says:

This is going to be a fight to remember… We’ve just seen Condit totally smash 2 2nd shelf WWs so now he has graduated to the top shelf… I’m a BJ Penn fan thru & thru but, I’ve been watching Condit do his thing for years. The guy is NEVER in a boring fight & has the heart of a champ… If either fighter wins decisively they deserve a shot at the strap or at the very least a fight with Fitch…. With BJ Penn winning 2 out of 3 rounds against Fitch, it’s hard for me to think that he won’t be able to do the same against Carlos…. With that bein said, I’m taking BJ by decision…

I like BJ’s chances to get the UD… not to discount Condit in any way, shape, or form, I just feel like if this is going to be a 5 rd fight BJ may be able to start the fight strong and end it strong and do enough to get the Decision.

Not a fan of Fitch but I agree with the sentiments of Fitch needing to play a role in the #1 contendership picture but I also understand business decisions. Bottom line is nobody can deny Fitch as a contender, I am not a fan of him in the least bit BUT I know there’s no logical reasoning to keep him out of the title picture aside from injury.

” if you cannot beat Jon Fitch you cannot beat GSP” -matt

Agreed….

• king mah mah says:

Fitch gets screwed again! I know he’s not that exciting, but neither is GSP. How about next time GSP is boring they strip him of his belt! Just like they stripped the number one contender status from Fitch!

• Makington says:

I’m also interested to see how BJ’s cardio holds up against someone like Condit. He has always had cardio problems against grinder-type fighters such as GSP, Hughes, Fitch. Condit has sick cardio and I have no doubt he can go 5 rounds, but he’s the fighter that makes your head quit before your body does.

I would pay double if they did this fight right away since I hear Phil Davis is injured. Impossible, I know, as neither could fully prepare for a 5 rounder because they’d be the main event but it’s a nice to think about I guess. If this fight ends up with GSP/Diaz like they’re saying though it’ll only be the 3 rounds they have to prepare for.

• elkymbo says:

I agree with everyone. Fitch is boring but effective. I would really love to see Condit vs Fitch. SOMEONE KNOCK HIS ARSE OUT FOR FUCK SAKE! I like to shout too Matt.