Matt Mitrione and Cheick Kongo set to collide at UFC 137

More heavyweight action is being added to UFC 137 as the undefeated Matt Mitrione takes on UFC heavyweight veteran Cheick Kongo in a battle of strikers with knockout power this October. Both men are coming off victories at UFC on Versus 4 this past June.

News of the bout was first reported by ESPN and has since been confirmed by UFC officials.

A former NFL player, Mitrione has found a home in MMA, posting five UFC victories and finishing four of them by (T)KO. He was recently victorious against Christian Morecraft, knocking him out late in the second round. “Meathead” rose to fame on The Ultimate Fighter 10, fighting on the show with no prior pro experience. Despite being portrayed as “a reality star,” he fell in love with the sport and has quickly improved under the guidance of Duke Roufus.

Kongo will be Mitrione’s toughest test to date though. The French heavyweight has been competing in the octagon since 2006 and has fought top heavyweights like Frank Mir and current UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez. Kongo is coming off a stunning victory over Pat Barry, Mitrione’s teammate, where he was nearly finished in the fight but suddenly knocked out Barry with a short right uppercut. The knockout has already earned Kongo “knockout of the year” consideration.

UFC 137 is scheduled for October 29 at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Nevada. The show will be headlined by welterweight king Georges St. Pierre defending his belt against the always tough Nick Diaz. Also on the card is another heavyweight bout between Mirko Cro Cop and Roy Nelson in a “do or die” fight for both men.

*PHOTO CREDIT – UFC*

• Best news I’ve heard all day! I’ve been calling for this since Meathead knocked out Tim Hague…..welcome to the top tier Matt. I hope he KOs Kongo but more than likely he’ll win a decision.

• bigbadjohn says:

If Meathead can turn this one into a brawl he’s got a good chance.

• hindsightufuk says:

i concure
    good test for both guys to see whose worthy of a top 20 spot and a step up in competition

• Dufresne says:

A few fights back I would have said that Mitrione would be slaughtered by Kongo, but it’s astonishing how fast Mitrione’s standup has progressed. I think Mitrione has the advantage in speed and movement, but I give Kongo the edge in technique and power. I’m gonna be pulling for Meathead here, hopefully via TKO in round 2.

• Angry Mike says:

Conditioning will be a factor. Neither are known for their cardio, but Kongo’s is really suspect. The longer the fight goes, the more it favors Mitrione, imo. I think Mitrione may be mentally tougher, too. In the past Kongo has seemed to shut down under pressure.

I say Meathead finishes what HD started…Cheick lucked out in his last fight… mitrione will finish him.

• MCM says:

Big fan of Meathead. I think he’s one of the most entertaining and shows the most progression of any fighter out there. But ya’ll are underestimating Cheick IMO.
    “In the past Kongo has seemed to shut down under pressure.”?
    Did you catch his last fight Angry Mike? If that’s not holding it together under pressure, I don’t know what is.
    Kongo has also only been KO’d once in his entire career. He also has some of the most vicious GnP in the division, and the only time we’ve seen Matt off his back he was tapping without throwing up any defense.
    I’m not saying Meathead doesn’t posses the skills to be competitive or even win this match, but I think it’s gonna be a lot tougher fight than you guys are thinking.

• stone says:

I like Meathead but I really don’t think he’s ready for Kongo…. Kongo has a suspect chin but that’s about the only advantage for Meathead in my opinion…. Kongo’s stand up, ground game & experience should be able to win this fight… If MM catches Kongo in that chin, he needs to go for a submission ASAP, much like Mir did with Check… We all saw what happened with Pat Barry

• Maybe Im just in a disagreeable mood this morning but how does a guy with one KO loss in 24 fights have a suspect chin?

• stone says:

Well…. He got dropped with one shot early in the fight with Mir & got dropped early with Barry… Of coarse his chin was good earlier in his career but as of late, he just isn’t taking that shot like he used to… I really didn’t think the shot from barry was even all that flush of a punch… If you watch that fight again, the 1st time he gets dropped he looks like he got hit with Pat’s wrist… Let’s face it, he gets hit anywhere above his shoulders those knees tremble