Fedor Emelianenko not retiring, will fight again in 2011

Fedor Emelianenko has no plans to hang up his gloves just yet. Released by Strikeforce last week following a first round TKO loss to Dan Henderson, many speculated on the future of “The Last Russian Emperor.” After not losing in almost 10 years, the loss to Henderson marked Fedor’s third straight loss.

M-1 Global President and Fedor’s manager, Vadim Finkelstein ended all speculation earlier today, confirming that Fedor will not retire and that he will fight again in 2011.

“We consulted with Fedor and it was decided that he should not leave the sport in this way. His friends and past opponents support Fedor in continuing his career and he agreed,” said Finkelstein.

No long under contract to Strikeforce, Fedor’s next fight will be under the M-1 Global banner in Russia later this year.

Finkelstein commented that, “We want to organize a fight for Fedor in Russia and have already begun working in this direction. If everything goes as planned, we will produce a card in Moscow or St. Petersburg sometime in the fall with Fedor as the main event.”

If everything goes as planned, we may see Fedor more than once in 2011. Finkelstein is also working to secure a fight for Fedor in Japan on New Years Eve. The former PRIDE heavyweight champion has competed five times on New Years Eve in Japan, winning every contest.

*PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE*

“The end goal is for Fedor to end up back in the United States in 2012 to reclaim his currently unwatched throne.”

After getting 2 decent wins…That possible could get him to be able to sign a humble yet mututally beneficial contract with Zuffa and leaving M-1 out of it from a promotional stand point outside of representing Fedor as manager. I won’t hold my breath, Fedor won’t leave his baggage at the door.

I wonder what it costs to get a fighter to throw a fight in Japan or Russia…? I kid, I kid… we all know there’s no need for an opponent to take a dive when Fedor can just sign to fight lesser competition…

• MCM says:

I’m glad he has the goal, but does he seriously think Zuffa will be willing to play with the “crazy russians” next year? Outside of Zuffa there is only Bellator that MIGHT be able to pay Fedor what he asks, and I don’t think their willing to deal either. So who’s he gonna fight for in the U.S.?

I’m not a Fedor nut hugger or hater and it’s a fact that his name is still big enough to headline a card, but who are they gonna get to fight him? Overeem is the obvious choice but outside of that, who’s left. Fedor may be on a 3 fight skid, but he’s still too good to be fighting the Todd Duffee’s and Paul Buentello’s of the world.

Best of luck to him, but I don’t currently see him finding a way back to the big stages in America again.

Well-Done. Thumb up 11 Thumb down 1

• JBAR says:

I would think that a fight with Overeem would be a good draw and I would think about getting that ppv if available.

• JBAR says:

I should add that anyone on a 3 fight skid only has 1 throne to worry about, it is made of porcelin and does not need a lot of watching, just an occasional plumber.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 11 Thumb down 4

• qat says:

Doesnt he still have a contract with Showtime? He could fight for them in the US. I would watch him fight Overeem and even a fight with Duffy might be interesting. But other then that, who is out there? Maybe some SF-Fighter who still has an open contract?

Golden Glory & M-1 went back in forth not that long ago about who was holding up on having Overeem & Fedor fight… each camp blamed the other back n forth… Overeem is the DREAM HW champ why would they give Fedor a title shot right out the gate and even if DREAM were willing to because it would be a moeny maker whose to say GG & M-1 would even sign on for it out of fear for the fall out of the loser of the bout…. once again I’m not holding my breath on anything involving either of those fighters and sadly it’s mostly due in part to there camps/mgt…

P.S. Fedor isn’t retiring BUT Matt Hamill is… best of luck to him.

Sorry I know it’s off topic… just a quick FYI for the crew.

• Guthookd says:

A fight with A. Overeem on NYE would be great BUT Overeem is not on a major loosing skid like Fedorovna is, so I highly doubt Alistair would risk it with a fight against the Old Emperor, and I also doubt that M-1 would set him up for a 4th possible loss.

“What is more likely though, is a fight between Fedor and V. Overeem or maybe even Jon Eniemo.”

Very True…. and a down grade for Fedor is whats best for him right now in hopes of him building up on it… still won’t hold my breathe though.

• Angry Mike says:

I’ll bet there’s still money for Fedor in Japan. I don’t see him in UFC, but he still has something of a name, at least for a few more years. Good luck to him.

• Guthookd says:

WAIT!

I got it.

Minowaman just got his NTE opponent.

FUCK HIM UP MINOWA!

• Guthookd says:

NTE = NYE

• Dufresne says:

Even though its a freakshow style fight, I will always watch Minowaman fight in freakshows. After Sapp, Hong Man Choi, and Don Frye, how could I not?

• eh…dont care…stay in russia. enjoy your family…just fight someone that matters or quit fighting…I dont want to remember thelast Emperor as a can crusher. I’d rather remember him as the man who got his ass kicked alot in the end but went down trying.

I never thought there would be a moment i respected Tito more than Fedor, but its come.

• fanoftna33 says:

Minowaman is completly awesome, i agree 100% Dufrense.