Jon Fitch cleared for competition, could return at UFC 139

Former UFC welterweight title contender Jon Fitch has two words for fans and opponents, “I’m back!” Sidelined with a shoulder injury for the past few months, Fitch Tweeted earlier today that, “Dr. Kavitne gave me the ok to fight.”

Originally scheduled to rematch BJ Penn at UFC 132 following their draw at UFC 127, both Fitch and Penn pulled out of the fight with injuries. While Fitch continued to heal up, Penn took a UFC 137 bout in late October with top welterweight Carlos Condit.

The Penn vs. Condit bout leaves Fitch without a fight for the time being. With only one UFC loss in 15 appearances and unbeaten since August 2008, Fitch doesn’t plan to wait around. The Purdue Boilermaker is preparing to get back in the gym right away and train like he’s fighting in October in order to fill in should Joe Silva call.

Rumors indicate that Fitch could be headed to a showdown with Johny Hendricks at UFC 139, though neither side would comment on the possible match-up.

*PHOTO CREDIT – UFC*

• Lord Faust says:

I guess there’s a joke somewhere in there that even waiting for Fitch to fight is boring; thus BJ taking the other fight.

• THEGUNNER says:

If fitch beats bj at ww its nothing if he cant beat him at lw. If bj can beat him at lw and wwthats a lot.

• Creature says:

No offense to Hendricks.. but if he fights fitch, i honestly believe he will get beat and beat bad, i dont see hendricks being better than Fitch in any area of the fight, you may all disagree strongly but, Fitch’s striking had improved quite a bit, as shown with his exchanges with alves and the very few against bj, his grappling is better in every area than hendricks, and i dont see hendricks being able to out work Fitch, thats something no one can do.. i honestly believe Fitch will get his first finish in over like 3 or 4 yrs, thumbs me down but watch, if they fight, it will happen

• MCM says:

I won’t thumbs you down Creature……cause I agree with you, but I don’t think Fitch would finish Hendricks.
    If the winner of Shields/Ellenberger is healthy, I say they get a crack at Fitch. If not them, Martin Kampman. I know he’s on a two fight skid, but if the judges would learn to at least watch the fights instead of eating paste and coloring during the matches, he’d be a top contender right now.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Weak-Sauce. Thumb up 1 Thumb down 11

• Sykotick says:

Gike, Prove it?!?! The guys only defeat is against GSP!
    Who’s ever finished him in the UFC??
    Besides Rush, who’s ever REALLY smashed him down??
    Who’s ever won against him in the UFC??
    So because he lost to the champ he is unworthy of competing in the organization?
    Shit, by those standards, fuck it, let’s bid organizational adieu to Fitch, Penn, Alves, Hardy, Koscheck, and, even tho he only has 2 fights in the UFC, Shields.
    I mean, they lost to the champ, they don’t deserve to be in the UFC. Right??

WRONG!

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Hey sykotick-do you really want to see him fight again?-I didn’t think so

• Sykotick says:

Gike, I do!
    I’m a mixed martial arts fan, I love all facets of the game, from the jaw shattering stand up, to the limb torquing Jiu Jitsu, to the dominant wrestling.
    People hate on Fitch cuz he is “boring”.
    Fitch is far from boring. People need to realize that he is so fuckin good that he makes some of the most exciting fighters “boring”.
    That kind of dominance is beautiful to watch, its like watching a video demonstration of what you’re supposed to do only in real time, its.brilliant

• elkymbo says:

But very boring.

You can’t deny Fitch is a perenial contender BUT At this point he isn’t in the good graces of his bosses and most fans don’t find his style all that appealing so he needs to come down off the pedistal he put himself on and fight whomever ZUFFA puts in the cage with him… Former champs & champs my ass. Look at what being a good employee just did for Tito Ortiz… Play the game or play it elsewhere. It wouldn’t hurt to try his best to finish his opponent either.

• Screenplaya says:

Fitch is not exciting, but bottom-line, he is the second-best 170-pounder on the planet. Obviously, this earns him the right to fight in the UFC. I think the idea of Fitch vs Ellenberger/Shields sounds like a solid plan.