Cris Santos re-signs with Strikeforce, expects to fight soon

She’s baaaaaaaaaaack!

After more than a year on the sidelines due to contractual issues, Strikeforce female featherweight champ Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos has inked a new deal that will keep her under the promotion’s banner for at least a year and should have a date and opponent for her long overdue return to the ring in the coming weeks. Previously it was believed she would fight outside the organization as a means of staying busy.

The explosive Brazilian’s updated status was first reported by MMARants where Santos’ management added, “Cris is ecstatic to be staying under the Zuffa umbrella for another year. She would like to thank Strikeforce and Zuffa for the opportunity to prove she is the best 145 pound woman in the world.”

Santos hasn’t fought since destroying Jan Finney in June 2010 en route to earning her tenth straight victory. She has not lost since her MMA debut more than six years ago while racking up stoppages against a number of her talented peers including Shayna Baszler, Hitomi Akano, Gina Carano, and Marloes Coenen.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• fanoftna33 says:

Finally some very good news concerning womens MMA. I couldnt say who they could put her against but at least they got the baddest lady out there back.

• MCM says:

I thought she was the women’s Welterweight Champ? Or did Zuffa change the names of the divisions to match the mens?

This is pretty good news. Lorenzo said that they were going to re-evaluate SF in early 2012 when the Showtime contract was up, and if they’re resigning Cyborg, maybe there is hope for women’s MMA after all.

• Guthookd says:

…opportunity to prove she is the best 145 pound woman in the world.”

That’s exactly what she is….the best.

Who are they going to give her….hmnmmmm….I know of someone who’s getting back into the cage soon. If Gina does well in her return fight it’s only a matter of time before they set up the rematch.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Yeah, they changed the women’s titles to bantamweight/featherweight (I assume to avoid confusion).

• Niv says:

I say they bring her into the UFC and give her a shot at Dominic Cruz, I’m kidding of course but I bet she’d give him a run for his money.

• FightFan313 says:

Cris is serious. I am glad to see that she has resigned. I don’t see anyone women in the fight game today that can take it to Chris, she is skilled and she is hot.