“One Punch” Pickett on tap for UFC 138 vs. Renan “Barao”

Two highly-exciting bantamweights will battle it out in Birmingham, England come November 5 and the UFC’s return to the UK, as a bout between Brad Pickett and Renan “Barao” Pegado was confirmed through the organization’s website.

Pickett and Pegado are both well-rounded competitors with a high rate of finishing their opponents including a total of 33 stoppages in 46 combined wins. Both 135ers have also been on a tear as of late with Pickett winning ten of his last eleven fights and “Barao” bringing home an incredible twenty-six straight since losing in his professional debut!

The 20-5 Pickett came to fans’ attention during a run in WEC where he defeated Ivan Menjivar and current top contender Demetrious Johnson. However, the 32-year old Londoner hasn’t made his UFC debut yet after watching a shot at Miguel Torres earlier this year laid to waste due to injury.

“Barao” also notched a few wins under WEC’s banner and made a successful UFC debut in May at UFC 130 against Cole Escovedo. Twelve of his total victories have been the result of a tap-out with six others relating to strikes.

UFC 138 is headlined by fan-favorite Chris Leben brawling it out with accomplished grappler Mark Munoz who himself possesses knockout power as well. Other match-ups scheduled for the show include Thiago Alves vs. Papy Abedi, Anthony Njokuani vs. Paul Taylor, and Michihiro Omigawa vs. Jason Young.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

this uk card has some nice match ups the fighters might not be household names but the card has some exciting match ups… cant wait to see leben back in action, i know it wont happwn anytime soon but id love for him and stann to fight again, i think leben looked passed stann and he underestimated his power.

• Guthookd says:

Yeah, this card is not the best, but there are some good matchups. I like Picket, though I’m struck by the fact that he’s won 10 of his last 11…..I could have sworn he lost two in a row under Zuffa, but I’m not going to fight finder, I’ll just take 5oz word for it. Wish I had seen Barao’s last few fights..they must have been facebook prelims, which I refuse to watch.

Man, I don’t know if Leben can get past Mark. Mark is strong as an ox and has some damn good ground skills and a rapidly developing striking style. I’ll root for Leben, but I won’t be surprized to see him loose a decision.

I wonder who the hell Papy is, being that they are putting him in with motherfucking Thiago Alves! Alves has had a few tough breaks and some injuries (that brain swelling thing had to be wrenching), but he’s top notch talent in my book. Can’t make a call, but I’m looking forward to the fight.

• MCM says:

Munoz got rocked by Damien Maia, ‘nuf said there.

The rest of this card is looking damned entertaining though.

• Guthookd says:

Anderson Silva got rocked by Chael Sonnen too……in the first couple seconds of the fight……..Shinya Aoki even has a win by TKO. Anyone can get rocked by anyone else at any time. More needs to be said.

• MCM says:

Munoz got rocked REPEATEDLY by Damien Maia.

better? ;)

• Creature says:

also by Kendall Grove..

• adamsfamily says:

I think Alves has inherited Chris Lytle’s roll as the upper echelon Gatekeeper. Its probably not a bad gig for him as I dont think he’ll ever challenge for another title. All he has to be from now is not safe.

Image and saleability comes into the matchups a lot now. With casual fans quickly replacing all of us year on year – Physique types and styles are a hook regardless of rankings.

• Guthookd says:

Yes, I’m satisfied.

• Guthookd says:

adamsfamily – I agree, physique makes a big difference in fan acceptance. That’s why it doesn’t matter how hard Cole Konrad trains – he will always be disliked in general. The truth is that no one on earth enjoys the bounce of a man-boob.