Dana White ready to give Jon Jones “pound-for-pound” props

Consider Dana White among the numerous people beyond impressed by Jon Jones’ dismantling of Quinton “Rampage” Jackson in the main event last night at UFC 135.

White spoke about the wunderkind’s performance in the post-event press conference where he started things out by eating a bit of crow in regards to recent comments about Jones not being in the “pound-for-pound” discussion along with Anderson Silva and Georges St. Pierre.

“When I went into the ring (after the fight), he grabbed me and said, ‘Will you give me my pound-for-pound respect now?’ And I said, ‘I will shut the hell up now. You did it.’,” White joked.

“The great thing about (the outcome) is how serious ‘Rampage’ took this fight. He’s been up here in Denver for a long time…he was in great shape. His face was lean, he had abs. He came to win this fight. (Jackson) only cut six pounds for the fight the day of the weigh-ins which is incredible,” White continued. “Let me tell you what – Jon Jones is the man.”

As far as whom White feels could be the one to pose a serious challenge to Jones, the UFC President remained fairly neutral while giving credit to the light heavyweight division’s depth.

“The beauty of the 205-pound division is that it’s stacked. There’s a lot of tough guys out there. And I’ll tell you what, Rashad (Evans) just came off an awesome performance against Tito (Ortiz). He looked really good. Both these guys want this fight, there’s been a lot of smack-talk leading into this fight, and then we’ll see what happens with (Mauricio) “Shogun” Rua and Dan Henderson.”

However, White left the door open too in terms of Jones potentially cleaning house during a Silva-like run, saying he’s already talked to the 24-year old champion about possibly giving heavyweight a go in that type of scenario.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MickeyC says:

I’m tired of hearing about these ‘super’ fights where George may fight anderson, & now Jones going heavy. They been talking GSP/ Silva for years. Shit or get off the pot for christ sake. Makem happen or lettem die.

• THEGUNNER says:

Rashad stands no chance against bones. I could careless about a super fight id like to see anderson fight real compitition. Gsp fights the best why not put anderson against rua,rashad,kos, or someone one who stands a chance not okami coming off prelim fights to main event.

• Sykotick says:

Okami main vented before his title fight. Against Nate the Great.
    I agree have the best fight the best, but what do you do when the 2 best fighters are only a weight class from eachother. Don’t forget that the initial “super fight talk” was started by fans. I agree, shit or get off the pot. But its funny when we are talking about a super fight between GSP and Anderson and talking about “fuckin do it it shut up!” And the UFC didn’t bring it up

• Sykotick says:

Wish there was an edit feature… Evented not vented

Jones is Still worried about what ppl think.. Who says that to there boss ” can I get my props now” ? Just kick ass and your p4p title comes along with it… You don’t need to be crowned by DW… Ahhh I’ll be disliking this guy for Years to come.

• stone says:

I think Hendo would be the best challenge for Jones…. The only way to beat Jones (imo) is to bring a relentless td & gnp offense (Clay Guida or Chael Sonnen style)….. Boxing or Thai boxing with a guy that towers you in size and kickboxing talent, is not the answer…. The only fighter that I believe that can do that @ 205 is Hendo…. da 205 weight class doesn’t have a true grinder that I can think of… I think Hendo can pull it off…….MAYBE

• Creature says:

Hendo also mixes up his strikes more than rampage does.. idc what anyone says, i will continue to believe Hendo has a legit chance against anyone at MW or LHW including Bones. Also Rashad is very fast, prolly the fastest in the division, he has GSP like explosive takedowns and has some quick powerful hands, i like his chances against Bones more than most people