The Scorecard – UFC 135: Jones vs. Rampage

The Scorecard hits the highs and lows of the latest big event offering in MMA. Points are assigned completely at random but stay between ten and negative ten because I hate math.

UFC 135: Jones vs. Rampage is in the books. I’d like to thank God for today’s column and how great it is. Now, lets go to the scorecards:

*Was I the only person whose ears were blown out at the start of the Facebook prelims due to a loud, long beep? MINUS THREE.

*James Te-Huna using the uppercut to defend the takedowns. It’s really not used enough in MMA. PLUS SEVEN.

*Ricardo Romero not setting up his takedowns and offering nothing up on the feet. It’s 2011 son. Get with the program. MINUS FIVE.

*Romero moaning like he was in an adult film was not a good look. Especially since Tori Black wasn’t under him or anything. MINUS THREE.

*Cole Escovedo using “Won’t Back Down” by Eminem as his walk-out song. Anytime someone walks out to a Eminem song, I automatically become a fan of them. PLUS TWO.

*The Japanese guy in Takeya Mizugaki’s corner. I’m not sure if Keith Florian learned how to speak Japanese, but man that dude was loud. MINUS ONE.

*A nice try by Escovedo with the jumping triangle. It didn’t work, but I give him credit for going for it. PLUS THREE.

*Mizugaki’s striking, mainly the left hook to the body. He was swinging and connecting with almost everything he threw. PLUS SIX.

*Just let go of the plum clinch Escovedo. If you have the plum but you’re eating more strikes than you’re throwing, it’s probably not working out too well for you. MINUS FOUR.

*Eddie Yagin coming out with a Denver Broncos jersey. You’re in the Pepsi Center fool, bring out a Colorado Avalanche or Denver Nuggets jersey. The Broncos play at the Stadium Formerly Known as Mile High. MINUS ONE.

*Tim Tebow is more active on Sunday than Yagin was in his fight. MINUS TWO for Yagin. PLUS THREE for my joke.

*Junior Assuncao, emulating the stance of some of the best Brazilian fighters ever is cool if you’re actually doing something on your feet. MINUS ONE.

*Every new title fight seems to be, “The biggest fight in division history” to Mike Goldberg. You wanna know the biggest fight in light heavyweight history? Chuck Liddell vs. Tito Ortiz 2. That’s it. That’s the list. MINUS ONE.

*”The Promise” Ring. Every time Nick Ring fights, I’m docking the card points just for his nickname. MINUS ONE.

*Tim Boetsch finally has a new highlight to add to his reel. They always show his throw and finish from UFC 81, now he has the throw from the third round against Ring to put in video packages. PLUS EIGHT.

*I love it when Joe Rogan throws out random techniques. I’d never heard of “the baby arm” until Rogan mentioned it during Boetsch vs. Ring, but it sounds like a pretty sweet move. PLUS FOUR.

*Aaron Riley is a tough guy, but he’s becoming the Ultimate Fighter whipping boy. First Ross Pearson, now Tony Ferguson. MINUS TWO.

*Ferguson’s power is outstanding. He’s in a very tough weight class, but if his takedown defense is where it needs to be, he can stand with anyone. PLUS FIVE.

*Can we get Goldberg a book of adjectives to describe the ring girls? Chandella is lovely, Arianny is beautiful. Get a dictionary Goldie. MINUS FOUR.

*On the subject of ring girls, I’m docking UFC points until they hire a blonde ring girl. And I’m going to implore them to bring back Chrissy Blair, the guest ring girl from UFC 133. MINUS FOUR.

*YELL DANA AND JOE! YELL AT ME! PLUS FIVE.

*I guess they still don’t have any highlights of Ben Rothwell because he failed to make the “Into Pieces” intro. PLUS TWO.

*”He throws punches like he’s throwing a fastball.” That was a shout out to Samer Kadi from Rogan. PLUS THREE.

*Hey Takanori Gomi, it would have been nice if you showed up. MINUS THREE.

*Nate Diaz used his reach effectively and stayed out of a wild brawl with Gomi. Smart move. PLUS FIVE.

*I love how active Diaz is off his back. PLUS FIVE.

*Nate finished off Gomi quicker than his brother. PLUS THREE.

*Extra points for Diaz because he wished Jake Shields and his family well. PLUS TWO.

*I have to dock points for Diaz saying that his brother is the best fighter in the world though. MINUS ONE.

*I’m not even going to talk about Travis Browne vs. Rob Broughton. The fight was boring. MINUS FIVE

*And seriously, they put that fight on PPV over Mizugaki vs. Escovedo. Shame on you UFC. MINUS TWO.

*Mark Hunt coming out to “I Need A Doctor” by Eminem and Dr. Dre. Awesome. PLUS TWO.

*Ben Rothwell coming out to that song by Nickelback that WWE Raw uses as their theme. Lame. MINUS TWO.

*HUNT WENT FOR AN ARMBAR! PLUS TEN.

*Shame on that referee for standing up Hunt when he had side control. MINUS FOUR.

*Good on Rogan for calling that ref out for the stand up. PLUS SIX.

*The Rothwell vs. Hunt fight was terrible, but because Hunt won, I have to say it was a pretty great fight. PLUS FIVE.

*Extra points just for Rothwell losing. PLUS THREE.

*UFC should never put heavyweights on an event taking place in high altitude. MINUS TWO.

*And again, this fight was on the PPV card over Mizugaki vs. Escovedo. MINUS TWO.

*You would think Goldberg would know the show that Rob Dyrdek is on, but I guess not. MINUS ONE.

*I think there was only one mid-fight small corner promo for this Saturday’s UFC Live: Cruz vs. Johnson event. You would think UFC would promote the card a bit seeing as there’s a title fight and everything. MINUS THREE.

*COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE! Still the best walk out music in MMA. PLUS TEN.

*Seeing Pat Miletich back in the corner of Matt Hughes was pretty awesome. PLUS FIVE.

*We’ll call it cage rust for Josh Koscheck, who got hit way more times than he should have been hit by Hughes and was way too tentative to start the fight. MINUS ONE.

*A shame Hughes couldn’t survive until the end of the round. He was doing fairly well but Koscheck just had too much power for him. EVEN.

*Who really though Hughes could stuff the takedown of Koscheck? Of course you didn’t. PLUS EIGHT.

*Koscheck’s killer instinct is really underrated. When he has a guy hurt, he finishes them. PLUS FIVE.

*I hope Hughes calls it a career but wasn’t shocked that he didn’t make the decision in the cage right after the fight. EVEN.

*Any time they show Liddell on PPV, you know I’m giving them points. PLUS THREE.

*Goldberg tried to plug Gears of War 3, but Gears or War 3 plugs itself. PLUS TWO.

*Goldberg and Rogan were verbally blowing Liddell during Quinton Jackson’s walk out. I was fine with this. PLUS FOUR.

*Of course Rogan had to ruin that by giving a shout out like he was calling into Shade45 or something. MINUS TWO.

*Jon Jones might have the worst walk-out mash up of all-time. Ok, that honor still belongs to Lyoto Machida, but Jones’ 50 Cent to P. Diddy song is pretty bad. MINUS TWO.

*So Jones would look Quinton in the eyes during the weigh-in staredown but not during the fight staredown? Make up your mind. MINUS ONE.

*It took someone five years, but Jones finally took the advice Rich Franklin gave to Matt Serra on The Ultimate Fighter 4 and started the fight from his knees. More or less. PLUS FOUR.

*I absolutely hate the front kick to the knee. It’s going to hyperextend someone’s knee sooner or later and then it’ll be banned. Just go ahead and ban it now. MINUS SEVEN.

*I’m sure Jackson was in great shape. He didn’t seem all that gassed out despite taking a beating. But being in great shape and actually bringing something new to the table are two different things. Jackson can be ready to fight for 100 rounds, but if he’s not going to change things up in the slightest, it doesn’t really matter. MINUS FIVE.

*And seriously, after what Forrest Griffin did to you, you still aren’t checking kicks? MINUS THREE.

*Pretty lame move by Jones to dump Jackson off of him after the bell. MINUS THREE.

*Jones is starting to use his reach with his legs. When this kid develops a jab, he’s going to be even tougher to beat. PLUS FOUR.

*Jones wanted to show off his power in this fight. So he submitted Jackson. MINUS TWO.

*To Jones’ credit though, his submission game improves in every fight. He not only threatened with the guillotine a number of times to stifle Jackson, he became the first man to submit Jackson since Kazushi Sakuraba over ten years ago. PLUS SIX.

*More points just because of how dominant Jones was. PLUS SIX.

*Classy post-fight speech from Jackson. No excuses, put Jones over huge. For the all crap Jackson gets for his pre-fight banter, he’s always humble in his post-fight interviews. PLUS FIVE.

*Really Jon, Rashad Evans ruined your moment again? You know what ruined your moment? You even bringing that up. And lets be honest, it was UFC’s call to allow Evans into the cage. So blame them, not Rashad, for ruining your moment. MINUS FIVE.

*Extra points based on my enjoyment of the event. PLUS FIVE.

Final Score: 68
PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Lord Faust says:

That front kick to the knee actually made me semi-nauseous.

• JOEgun says:

Rothwell fight was awful but i did enjoy Hunt’s success in it.

Travis Browne dissapointed us all with that performance.

I’m not sure if I agree with making that kick to the knee illegal. I dont think its any worse than leg submissions, which also make me cringe.

• Lord Faust says:

Now that JOEgun brings it up, I don’t think I can recall a knee-bar in recent memory that hasn’t put the recipient on the shelf. I think it was Palhares who just wrecked someone’s knee with one in his second UFC fight.

• Lord Faust says:

Knee-bars and second only to bull’s-eye groin shots as far as making me cringe.

• I dunno guys….i still cringe everytime I watch mir basically break Sylvias arm in half

• Lord Faust says:

LOL, two thumbs down because I had some sympathetic pain considering my knees are both a colossal mess. I guess everyone else on the Internet is just that tough.

• JBAR says:

If you don’t like getting kicked in the knee then stop them from kicking you in the knee, pretty simple. It is pretty rough and unorthodox but effective in stopping your opponent from coming forward.

• Lord Faust says:

For me, it’s more I just don’t want to see fighters get seriously injured. I like watching fighters; I know it’s a dangerous sport; I just want to see guys able to avoid potentially career ending injuries. If they stay in the sport, I won’t lose sleep; I’ll just keep on wincing every time a limb bends a direction it never should.

• hindsightufuk says:

when i used to train a lot (back in the 90’s) we had a french guy who showed us that front kick to the knee, he said it was a Savate self defense technique that stops an attacker coming forward.
    its clearly extremely fucking dangerous and i would like to see it removed, along with foot stomps and hands on the face, both of which require no skill whatsoever and just seem to be throw backs to nhb days.

every time a see a fighter enter to Eminem i cringe, when i see a fighter enter to Eminem, rapping along to the song i want to kill. when i see a brother enter to an eminem song i fucking disown them

• Lord Faust says:

Any top 40 song as an intro tune annoys me. Can you not wait 3 hours for the show to end to hear these songs? How about licensing music from artists who could use the money / exposure?

• Jmad says:

LOL at Rothwell resting against the cage and Hunt Kicking him in the head.

• Guthookd says:

I wasn’t going to read this because it struck me as a lame idea. I’ll now eat my own shit because it’s actually funny as hell. No I have no bet with anyone…just like to eat my own shit when I’m wrong.

Sick Bastard>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• JabCrossHook says:

The front kick to the knee is illegal under the unified rules.

• Lord Faust says:

JabCrossHook: I haven’t found anything officially written that supports that claim.

Sorry for the long post, but here are the Fouls:

– Holding or grabbing the fence
    – Holding opponent’s shorts or gloves
    – Butting with the head
    – Eye gouging of any kind
    – Biting or spitting at an opponent
    – Hair pulling
    – Fish hooking
    – Groin attacks of any kind
    – Intentionally placing a finger into any orifice, or into any cut or laceration of your opponent
    – Downward pointing of elbow strikes (see Elbow strike)
    – Small joint manipulation
    – Strikes to the spine or back of the head (see Rabbit punch)
    – Heel kicks to the kidney
    – Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea
    – Clawing, pinching, twisting the flesh or grabbing the clavicle
    – Kicking the head of a grounded opponent
    – Kneeing the Head of a grounded opponent
    – Stomping of a grounded fighter
    – The use of abusive language in fighting area
    – Any unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to opponent
    – Attacking an opponent on or during the break
    – Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee
    – Timidity (avoiding contact, or consistent dropping of mouthpiece, or faking an injury)
    – Interference from a mixed martial artists seconds
    – Throwing an opponent out of the ring or caged area
    – Flagrant disregard of the referee’s instructions
    – Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his or her head or neck (see Piledriver)
    – Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat

• Dufresne says:

Awesome article, funny as shit.

I’m not 100% sure I agree with banning the front kick to the knee or not, but I’m definitely more for banning those than for banning knee bars. With a knee bar the fighter at least has the opportunity to avoid injury, usually, but with a kick like that you can hyper extend the knee with almost no warning. I know there are some instances where submissions give almost no warning, mostly courtesy of Aoki, but usually the damage comes from the fighter not tapping or the guy applying it being a dick.
    Sylvia got his arm snapped because he was too dumb to tap, Drwal got his knee jacked because Palhares was being an asshat, Escudero got his arm torqued because he wouldn’t tap, but other than a few submissions by Aoki I can’t really remember any submissions causing damage before the opponent had a chance to tap.

And yeah, the front kick to the knee has it’s uses, but I can’t see why you couldn’t throw that same kick to the thigh and get the same effect without as much potential to wreck someone’s career.

• mu_shin says:

Another description or name for a submission technique is pain compliance. I give you pain, you comply, or I give you more pain and a possible debilitating injury. Anyone caught in a knee bar has the option to tap/submit/comply before being injured, or they can learn to avoid that situation by not getting caught in the knee bar.

Front kick to the knee is absolutely a valid, totally legal technique according to the Unified Rules. There is hardly any MMA technique that does not carry the potential and risk of injury. Barring the front kick to the knee seems arbitrary, as virtually all offensive techniques can injure an opponent, and the front kick to the knee is certainly effective if performed well at stopping an advancing attacker.

• climbarock says:

Why is everyone making such a big deal about the front kick to the knee? That was the most effectively I’ve ever seen the technique used, and Rampage isn’t injured, as far as I know. Y’all do realize you watched other fighters suffer severe concussions on the same card, right? Repeated concussions (and the cumulative brain damage they cause) are the real career-ending and life-altering injuries, but no one is up in arms to ban strikes to the head. Why the inconsistency? It all reminds me of the NFL trying to legislate big, violent collisions out of the game in the name of player safety, which I believe is a PR move to put fans at ease and keep critics and government regulation at bay. But the truth that all fans need to reconcile with is that they enjoy watching a violent sport where men and women put their health on the line for our entertainment. MMA is violent; MMA is dangerous; MMA is hardcore, and that’s why you like it. MINUS FIVE!

• kanienkeha009 says:

Hey morons, lets start banning head kicks too because “somebody is going to get seriously injured!” This discussions is ridiculous. Anybody liking Eminem or using a song by him as an intro MINUS 1,000,000!

• Lord Faust says:

kanienkeha009: way to join in the respectful debate. I imagine this opener wins you many arguments on the playground at recess. I think it’s a valid subject; a headkick has its own massive downsides, but a kick to someone’s knee cap is a different issue, IMO. I don’t expect it to change; especially with knee-bars being legal, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a topic worthy of discussion. At some point people had to broach the concept of the Unified Rules; I’m sure they were called “ridiculous” too.

As I said above, and I am sure many agree, that it won’t change any time soon, and I won’t lose sleep over it. I still find specifically targetting knees to be nasty, but it’s part of the game right now; I’m still entitled to comment on it.

• kanienkeha009 says:

@lord faust, i never said you weren’t entitled to comment on it. I just think the thought of banning kicks to the knee is ridiculous. This is a violent combat sport and some people are going to get hurt.

• Actually Tim got hisarm snapped because Mir’s submission was lightening fast.

• Oh and to comment on the format of the article…No sir, I dont like it, its cool to try somethin different but this one just isnt workin for me.

“More points just because of how dominant Jones was. PLUS SIX.”

Not so much… this is the longest lasting opponent thus far in JJ’s career ( 4rds).. no? Dominant to me would have been KO’n Rampage inside of 2 rounds…. being over cautious is not punishing and dominant.