Dana White still open to possibility of rematch between Anderson Silva and Dan Henderson

Long before Chael Sonnen nearly shocked the world by using his high-level grappling effectively enough to neutralize the explosive talents of Anderson Silva, former Strikeforce light heavyweight champ Dan Henderson had similar success in the opening round of their title-fight at UFC 82 before falling in the following frame by way of submission.

When Henderson recently re-signed with the UFC talk immediately began on whether or not he might consider dropping to middleweight in hopes of fighting Silva again, a move “Hendo” stated he’d happily make given the chance to avenge the loss.

Now, UFC President Dana White has revealed Henderson would have likely gotten his crack at squashing “The Spider” had the Brazilian been healthy enough to fight again before the end of 2011.

Silva is currently suffering from a shoulder injury, a condition White elaborated on in a discussion with MMAFighting.

“He has bursitis in his shoulder,” White explained. “The doctor told him he needs to rest it for eight weeks, and he’s doing physical therapy. It’s not like he’s got some injury that needs surgery or anything like that. As amazing as this guy is, we forget this guy is 37 years old.”

As far as who Silva will actually face next, White kept his options open stating it would be logical to give the winner of this weekend’s fight at UFC 136 between Sonnen and Brian Stann a shot at the 185-pound king while also stating Henderson was someone worth giving consideration to assuming he beats Mauricio “Shogun” Rua next month at UFC 139.

“We’ll have to see what happens,” White concluded in as non-committal a manner as possible.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• edub says:

Stuff like this is why I am so much lower on Henderson then most. Supposedly it was the cut to 185 that affected him so greatly in his loss to Jake Shields. He also alluded to it affecting him late in the Franklin fight because he was “going back and forth” between 185 and 205.

If it is the cut that plays such a role on him losing, then why does he want to go back down to 185 to fight one of the two best combatants in the world? He was absolutely smoked the last time out (one round of holding position on the ground aside). What makes him (or anybody else for that matter) think another match up will end up differently (especially at 185)? He’s the same fighter, and his MMA wrestling is not on the level Chael.

I don’t think he would have much of a chance against Jonny Bones either, but at least that fight wouldn’t contain a built in excuse.

I’d rather see Sonnen get smashed

• MickeyC says:

I think hendo wants silva at 205.

Hey Mick if it’s at 205 then I’ll take it……… either winner is thrusted into the upper crust of the division

• MCM says:

I hear ya edub and was gonna agree with you, but then I did a little research and realized that even though I don’t care for Hendo or his excuse about weight cutting, he’s put together a damn fine record since he last fought AS. If he beats Shogun that will make him 7-1 since he fought Silva. Everyone he fought was top 10 with the exception of Sobral who was top 15. That’s a hell of a better record than Vitor and people were screaming for him to get a shot. Martin and Lindland aren’t even on the same scale as Bisping and Palhares. It’s also a better record than Okami, Maia, Leites and Cote had and will be 7x better than the record Sonnen would have if he get’s a rematch.
    I’d rather see Stann get the nod over anyone at this point. But if they give it to Hendo, even though I don’t see it going any better for him, I can’t rightly complain.

• JBAR says:

I would prefer to see it at 205 because I think Dan has a better chance to make a fight of it there. Even if it happens at 185 it would be foolish to count him out. How great of a MMA biography would it be to beat Fedor, Shogun and A. Silva in a 12 month period. If I remember correct there were rumors that he had a back injury prior to the Shields fight, don’t know if it is true or not but Dan did not seem to be able to even threaten getting out from under Shields and that has never made sense to me.

• hindsightufuk says:

only problem i see with Dan is he has started get knocked down in his last few fights. we all know your punch resistance diminishes over the years and at his age and Silvas accuracy, it could be nasty.
    i dont wanna see another great go the way of chuck/randy/hughes and have his chin give in start getting put to sleep on the regular

• Creature says:

Dan did have some back problems, and had to cut all 20 pounds the day of the weigh ins because he was unable to train properly. I dont think Hendo is has any less of a chin than he did 5 years ago, Hes been rocked before on different occasions in pride, He gets rocked a little but has never been “on queer street” as rogan likes to say, and usually recovers very fast. Will his chin hold out until he retires? Not sure, but i dont see Hendo dragging out his career like Chuck did.. If he gets solidly KOd im sure he will know its time to hang em up.

The only fight Hendo wants at 185 is Silva, thats it. Other than that he is done at 185, and im sure If he and everyone else didnt know Silva isnt going to move to 205 again he would be asking for it there. I will never count Hendo out, and i think he would do just fine against silva if he has a good weight cut, He knows what silva brings to the table, and hes not the type to just do the same thing twice against a guy that beat him.

• edub says:

MCM- I don’t know why you think his record is better than Sonnen’s. Sonnen has two top 4 wins over Nate and Okami. A borderline top 10 win over Dan Miller (at the time), and if you go back a little bit a win over Paulo Filho when he was the #2 ranked MW fighter in the world. If he gets a win over Stann, then there is another top 10 guy.

Vitor never had the best MW record, but his win over Lindland was great at the time (Lindland could be found in many rankings as a top 5 fighter back then). He also blasted Franklin in the first, where Hendo needed a very late well timed eye poke to escape being battered around. Hendo does hold the win head to head against Vitor though.

If Dan gets the shot, then there could definitely be worse choices. But I don’t understand this need keep giving him shots at 185 when he has now said three times in his career he doesn’t like the cut, and he’d rather stay at 205.

• MCM says:

edub- Hendo’s record since loosing to Silva would be 7x better than Sonnens record since loosing to Silva. Hendo 7-1, Chael 1-0. I don’t think we really want to go back and compare their entire records.

And Lindland was way out of the top 10 when he fought Vitor. He had only been in the ring once in almost 2 years when they fought, no one had him anywhere near the top 5. Maybe 2 years earlier but not in 2009. I’d say Bisping was much higher ranked when Dan knocked him onto every highlight real in MMA. And both Franklin fights were at 195, so they shouldn’t count towards the MW belt for either fighter.

“I’m not really a fan of the guy, but if I have to see him compete somewhere I’d like to see him make a run at 205.”
    This, I agree with you on on all points.

• edub says:

“And Lindland was way out of the top 10 when he fought Vitor. He had only been in the ring once in almost 2 years when they fought, no one had him anywhere near the top 5. Maybe 2 years earlier but not in 2009.”

Go back and research it. He was in the top ten on the majors (weekly, sherdog, etc.) when he fought Vitor. I believe Sherdog had him anywher from #4 to #8.

” I’d say Bisping was much higher ranked when Dan knocked him onto every highlight real in MMA.”

It was a great KO, but Bisping was still on the outskirts of the top ten most places when they fought. I think Sherdog had him at #8, but that is just a guess.

“And both Franklin fights were at 195, so they shouldn’t count towards the MW belt for either fighter.”

Hendo’s was actually at 205. But I count either. Rich is one of the best MWs in MMA’s short history, and a win for either was a big deal. I’m not opposed to counting wins in other weightclasses when ranking a fighter.

• elsicilian says:

edub, you are splitting hairs while ignoring the meat of the argument … since his loss to Silva, Hendo is 7-1. He has knocked out four of his last five opponents (including a couple of former champions), and claimed a major world title. All Chael has done is talk a lot of BS and get suspended for steroids.

It’s pretty obvious who is more deserving of the next title rematch.