Champions retain titles at action-packed UFC 136

For the fourth consecutive week the UFC delivered a live event including a quartet of title-fights among the bunch of bouts. With Dominick Cruz and Jon Jones having already successfully defended their UFC gold, lightweight king Frank Edgar and featherweight phenom Jose Aldo joined them in the winners’ circle this evening after taking out Gray Maynard and Kenny Florian standing in their way respectively.

In addition to the co-headlining fights, the card also featured Chael Sonnen vs. Brian Stann and Melvin Guillard vs. Joe Lauzon, both of which have contendership implications, as well as undercard action like Jeremy Stephens vs. Anthony Pettis and Demian Maia vs. Jorge Santiago.

Read below for a rundown of UFC 136 live results:

Mike Massenzio def. Steve Cantwell via Unanimous Decision
Aaron Simpson def. Eric Schafer via Unanimous Decision
Darren Elkins def. Tiequan Zhang via Unanimous Decision
Stipe Miocic def. Joey Beltran via Unanimous Decision
Anthony Pettis def. Jeremy Stephens via Split Decision
Demian Maia def. Jorge Santiago via Unanimous Decision
Joe Lauzon def. Melvin Guillard via Submission Round 1 (Rear-Naked Choke)
Nam Phan def. Leonard Garcia via Unanimous Decision
Chael Sonnen def. Brian Stann via Submission Round 2 (Arm-Triangle Choke)
Jose Aldo def. Kenny Florian via Unanimous Decision
Frank Edgar def. Gray Maynard via TKO Round 4 (Strikes)

• elsicilian says:

Such a great card … can’t wait!

• YetiLee says:

Let’s hope for some finishes from the next few fights.

• qat says:

haha sonnen makes a wwe-storyline out of it.

• Dufresne says:

I doubt Florian will get another title shot after that performance.

But how about Edgar coming back from behind for the finish? Impressed the hell out of me.

• RicM says:

“I FINISH FIGHTS!!!!”
    ……Uuummm, no Kenny,you didn’t……….
    ….Chael Sonnen should work for Vince McMahon……lol
    ….Big props to Frankie Edgar…..what a great comeback battle

• Richard Stabone says:

Holy Frankie! Didn’t expect him to legitimately beat the Bully but holy jeez…that was incredible. A smaller LW with endless cardio whot can move that fast AND absorb that type of damage while hardly missing a beat is gonna be tough to beat in a 5 round fight. I was rooting for/expecting Maynard to win and seeing Frankie drop down to ’45 to take on Also in 2012, but I guess that aint gonna happen. There I go thinking again. I’ve always appreciated Frankie’s ability fighting above his natural weight class, but tonight he really cemented himself as far as I’m concerned as a top-5 pound-for-pounder.

Chael is entertaining and that was an impressive dispatching of Stann tonight. But I just don’t see any way he enjoys the same type of “success” against a healthy Anderson the next time around. I’ve been wrong plenty of times beofre but I’ll say Anderson absolutely embarrasses Chael next time out, and if it’s on SB weekend like Chael suggested it oughtta remind us of the ’90s NFC dominance over the AFC. I’m afraid Chael will play the role of Neil O’Donnell in this one, even as he tries to be the Deion he simply is not & never will be.

I really like Melvin Guillard as a fighter but he’s a prime example of why MMA is so awesome. He’s the type of guy that *should* win every time out but to watch guys like Diaz & JLo can out-class the physically superior fighter is pretty fascinating. It’s why MMA is such a beautifully dynamic sport.

• qat says:

You know i was really sure for Frankie to win and i even put a bet on him, which i don’t do often. But in the first round i wrote off my money… i was like ‘no way he can do that shit again’. But man that guy is a phenomenon. On another note, Gray seemed to think so too.. and he shouldn’t while fighting him.

@Richard
    Chael was very impressive after that long layoff, he mad Stann look like a helpless child. And i think he can win rounds against a healthy Silva, can he win 5? Well i would watch it again.
    Full ack to your last paragraph.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

What a PPV! Worth every penny DTV is gonna bill me for.

KenFlo choked AGAIN just like Dana said he would in a big fight. I think KenFlo is a very good gate keeper. 145 or 155 he is a solid 3 or 4 guy. If you can’t get past him then you shouldn’t be thought of as a top guy in the division but, he isn’t good enough to beat the top guy in any division.

Chael makes me laugh. The whole loser leaves town WWE style match is good stuff. Doubt Dana would let him walk unless his contract is up after 1 more fight. I suppose if he DID leave Vince McMahon would gladly sign him. I could totally see him as a big WWE heel.

I was surprised as most were that Frankie got the KO. Grey just backed off and went on cruise control after 1st round for some reason. I was getting scared after what could be considered a possible 10-8 first round we might be headed for a draw. Personally didn’t see 1st 10-8 since Frankie did fight back and tried to defend himself even if he was rocked.

I hope Frankie doesn’t drop to 145 like Dana wants because after all this waiting to get a champion at 155. Vacating title would just make things more complicated. If Frankie loses then a division drop would be OK just hate not seeing logical lineage of a title.

• Now that’s the kind of card Im happy to pay money for.
    Pettis vs. Stephens was great, my cable was havin issues so i missed maia vs. Santiago but got it back in time for the PPV.
    Well, with Melvin losing that clears up a nice logjam at LW…now the winner of Bendo vs. Guida is without a doubt the number one contender, and my money is on The Smooth one himself…I think its really gonna get under clay’s skin to fight a guy that has the same pace and is better than Clay at every aspect of the game. Henderson vs. Frankie…what an awesome fight…but Im gettin ahead of myself. Good for JLau….they should give him another decent fighter….How bout Dunham?

Phan and Garcia was awesome…and I dont even need to elaborate.

Chael looked awesome, but let’s face it…he was grappling against Brian Stann a guy who has a noted weakness towards power wrestlers. Once Chael got that first take down, it was just a matter of time. Im sure we’ll spend hours talking about Chaels comments down the road so i’ll leave that alone.

Kenny should retire…..the guy will never be a champion. He handily won the first round and then pretty much threw the next few away. Sorry Kenflo but its over.

go Frankie!

• hindsightufuk says:

why should kenny florian retire? cos he hasnt won a title?
    he lost three title fights and beat pretty much everyone else, including guys who are now considered to be top 155 challengers. its not like he’s getting knocked out or stopped in any fights
    if he should retire cos he cant win a title then the UFC needs a damn good clear out cos there is a whole heap of sub par fighters who wont even break top 20 let alone get a title shot

• Rich S. says:

The tragic thing about Florian is he’ll always be the best fighter in his division that’s NOT wearing gold.

Kenny will destroy any fighter in his division; he just can’t get past the champions.

It’s a shame, really.

On another note, my boy JLau came through! I bloody love that kid!

• fanoftna33 says:

I was thinking Pettis for Lauzon next.

• hindsightufuk says: