Josh Koscheck interested in big fights regardless of the division they come in

Josh Koscheck knows that his chances of fighting for the UFC welterweight title are slim-to-none, at least until current champ Georges St-Pierre is dethroned by someone. As such, Kosheck has his sights set on another prize – “moneyweight” fights.

“Kos” defeated Matt Hughes in September with a devastating knockout in his first fight back since suffering a broken orbital bone in a loss to GSP. Names like the UFC Hall of Famer‘s are what drives Koscheck now.

“I want to fight the guys at the top,” said Koscheck, in a recent interview with MMANation. “That’s where I want to be. I want a big fight, my next fight to be a big fight. Who could it be? Maybe a Nick Diaz, maybe a B.J. Penn, Carlos Condit, maybe someone at 185 pounds. There are a lot of good guys at 185 pounds.”

Diaz, Penn and Condit are all competing at UFC 137 later this month, so the timing for a bout next year between Koscheck and any of the three could fit. Prior to replacing Diego Sanchez for the Hughes bout, Koscheck called out several middleweights, including Stephan Bonnar.

Diaz and Penn meet in the co-main event, while Condit takes on St-Pierre for the 170 pound division’s championship.

“I’d definitely like to fight some of those guys,” Koscheck said. “I want big names and big fights.”

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Dufresne says:

I’d love to see Kos go against the loser of Diaz/Penn. The only potential weakness either of those fighters has shown is against dominant wrestlers and Kos fits that bill perfectly.

Kos is one of those fighters who I love to hate. I usually pull against him, but I know that the majority of the shit talk and other antics he pulls are for the sole purpose of hyping the fight and even he admits to it. But regardless of why he does it, he manages to make almost everyone interested in his fights if for no other reason than the hope that he gets shut up. And unlike a lot of “bad boy” fighters, he’s humble and respectful after the fight which is why I “love to hate him” instead of just “hate him.”

• Agreed and dude never turns in a boring fight…unless he’s losing to GSP the last time.

• STM199 says:

I have yet to see a guy talk so much trash to someone (GSP) and get beat so handedly like he did. He should probably concentrate more on his training that slack jawing!

• stone says:

Diaz & Penn would both tear his ass up with a jab….. Hell, Matt Hughes fed him a jab that whole rd until he got KO’d…. But let’s face it, Hughes’ chin looks like Liddell’s nowadays! Why does KOS say he wants big fights and then says “Bonnar” in the same breath? How about a rematch with Rumble Johnson? We all remember his “eye poke weasel act”!!

• Dufresne says:

I didn’t even think about that matchup, but it’s a perfect solution. Between the faked knee to the head and the seemingly deliberate eye pokes in the 2nd round you know Rumble wants another shot at Kos. And both of them are coming off impressive stoppages so it would be a relevant fight a well. A win from Rumble would put him in the title hunt alongside Ellenburger, but unless GSP loses I don’t see Kos getting another title shot anytime soon even if he destroys Rumble.

• stone says:

Koscheck vs Johnson it is! Call Joe Silva for me Dufresne, tell’em “MAKE IT HAPPEN!”

• STM199 says:

I third that, Koscheck vs. Johnson. Speaking of Ellenburger… did you guys not think that he was going to distroy Sheilds? Honestly, just looking at the fighter announcements in the ring.. Ellenburger looked like he was ready to rip Sheilds head off…and he pretty much did. I think the Welterweights need to watch out for that bad ass.

• edub says:

Johnson and Koscheck doesn’t make much sense right now. They’ve already fought, and still train at the same gym every once in a while.

IMO Johnson vs. Ellenberger makes the most sense next, Fitch-Shields has been needed for a while, and Koscheck- (the loser of GSP-Condit) or (the loser of Penn-Diaz) sounds about right.