Michael Bisping believes he is next in line for a shot at Anderson Silva

Michael Bisping has made a name for himself by being a brash, outspoken fighter from England. He has two coaching stints on The Ultimate Fighter, and is a product of the reality show himself.

Bisping, who is currently coaching opposite Jason Miller and will meet “Mayhem” in December, believes he is the next man to oppose UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva so long as he takes care of “Mayhem” in convincing fashion.

“The Count” has won his last three fights, including a TKO over Jorge Rivera at UFC 127 in February. He is 7-2 since 2008, with the two defeats coming at the hands of Dan Henderson and Wanderlei Silva.

“I feel I deserve a shot. I have got to beat Miller, he is tough. I am not looking past him. (But) it’s me, I’m the contender,” said Bisping, in an interview with Fighters Only Magazine recently. “(Vitor) Belfort has just been beat, Yushin Okami has just been beat, (Chael) Sonnen got beat. What are they going to do…keep beating each other up and then have another shot at him? No, I’m the contender.”

“I feel I match quite well with Anderson believe it or not, I think stylistically I will give him a good match up,” Bisping said. “I will do a better job than everyone has lately. The last fight Anderson had was against Sonnen.”

Since defeating Sonnen with a fifth round submission, “The Spider” has stopped Belfort in the first round with a front kick and Okami in the second by TKO.

“So yeah, if I get my shot…listen, it’s easier said than done,” Bisping said. “You can sit here and say, ‘You’ve got to do this against Anderson,’ – getting in the cane and doing it to him is a completely different kettle of fish. But I feel I have earned the right to have my shot.”

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• edub says:

I say if he beats Mayhem, match him up with Luke Rockhod for the next shot at Silva. The winner can bring the shiny Strikeforce trinket to the cage with them.

As to his thoughts on all the other guys beating each other then having another shot at Anderson: Actually beat somebody highly ranked then. I know he can only beat who is put in front of him, but every high level guy he has gone against beat him (Wanderlei, Rashad, Henderson). Dan Miller was a good win when he got it, and so was Leben and Mayhem will be a decent scalp (if he wins). But none have ever even sniffed top 5 status.

• stone says:

If Bisping gets a title shot for beating Dennis Kang, Dan Miller & Jorge Rivera…. It would either be the easiest path to the 185 title ever OR Anderson ducking Chael…. Hahahaaah!

• stone says:

Oh shit! Did I forget Jason Miller?…. Beating Jason Miller is about equivalent to beating Kendall Grove <~~~~just not that big of a deal….smh

• Guthookd says:

Shit, the fact that they gave Bisbing Rivera for his last bout is PROOF that the UFC doesn’t think he’s close. Yeah, Rivera had a couple wins but we all know he’s irrelevant.

I hope Miller mops Bing up.

• Guthookd says:

Actually Stone, I think Miller is way more of a beast than he was when he faced GSP back in the day. I think he’s in his prime right now actually. I dont’ know what the odds are for the fight, but my personal guess is that Miller should be the favorite. I think Miller will be able to take him down and grind.

• Richard Stabone says:

The MW division is really uninspiring after Anderson these days.

Chael, with his 5-4 record under the UFC banner, is regarded as the #2 guy.

Guys after him like Okami, Marquardt, Belfort and Maia weren’t competitive when they went up against Anderson. Henderson seems better suited at 205 at this stage of his career.

Rockhold is intriguing but he’s t least a few fights away from contending for a title. And I’m not sure he’ll get by Tim Kennedy, if that fight (hopefully) happens.

So given the wide-open nature of the division I don’t blame Bisping for making some noise about wanting a title shot. There’s Anderson alone at the top of the mountain, and then a bunch of solid-but-unspectacular guys jockeying for position.

I guess it’s good Chael is loud & obnoxious and has been able to drum up a lot of interest in another fight with Anderson. But once he loses there’s just not much out there for Anderson right now, which is a shame cuz going on 37 years old we don’t have much longer to realistically expect the truly great version of The Spider in the cage.

• danw84 says:

“”The Count” has won his last three fights, including a TKO over Jorge Rivera at UFC 127 in February. He is 7-2 since 2008, with the two defeats coming at the hands of Dan Henderson and Wanderlei Silva.”

“Bisping was nearing a title shot before falling to Henderson after the two coached against one another on TUF. The only other defeat of Bisping’s career came to Rashad Evans by Split Decision in 2007, as he is 21-3 with 13 knockouts.”

Is it just me or are these just a little contradictory?

• Lord Faust says:

Not when you read the dates.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Silva would kill Bisping inside 2 full rounds. It wouldn’t be close.

• Rich S. says:

Even if Bisping beats Mayhem, he’ll be one or two big fights away from a shot at Anderson.

With that said, I have Mayhem winning, so this discussion doesn’t really matter.

• Angry Mike says:

We shouldn’t put Bisping and Silva in the same sentence, and certainly not in the same octagon. If they ever fight I’ll watch it, but it’d be like watching a mouse thrown in with a snake. It’s just a matter of time.

• Kamakosmo says:

Ummmm…have you not heard of one bad-ass mouse named “Mighty Mouse”?? What about “Minute Mouse”? Other than that being a nickname my Ex-Wife used to call me (I never really understood it), he’s a bad mother trucker as well.

;-)