Georges St. Pierre out of UFC 137 with a knee injury

A year plagued by injuries to top fighters continues as UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre has pulled out of the UFC 137 with a knee injury. He was scheduled to defend his welterweight strap in the main event of the evening against top contender Carlos Condit.

UFC president Dana White Tweeted the bad news moment after he landed in New York to promote the upcoming UFC on FOX event.

The co-main event between BJ Penn and Nick Diaz will now headline the show while Condit has been pulled from the event and will face St. Pierre at a later date. White expects his 170 lb champion to be ready in a couple of months although he concedes that it’s, “too early to tell.” The new main event between Penn and Diaz will still be a three round fight and have title implications.

UFC 137 is scheduled to take place on October 29 from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.

• danw84 says:

• fanoftna33 says:

Still a great card but this does hurt.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

YES-And no!!!!!!-the bottom line is Condit has to wait and that shit is weak-cause you know that player is ready to rock and roll-Long live Nick “don’t give a shizzle” Diaz-Have him winning in two-mark my words-you heard it here first

• fanoftna33 says:

Agreed Moldberg, but I think Diaz gets a tko in the third, Penn still has some energy in the second round but by the third round of Diaz pressure that will be all he can take. Acually looking forward to seeing Mitroen vs Kongo, and the addition of Curran vs Jorgensen. Glad to see it on ppv because the facebook stream I get sucks.

This is retarded now it’s going to be a few months before gsp condit get to fight and then a few mOnths for the winner to fight again…

Bj Penn has got this… I think making it a main event puts all the pressure back on Diaz

• THEGUNNER says:

They should have left it with condit vs bj. Now condit has to sit out what happened to all the fillers? Im sure they could put anothet fight together just break bread.they should lower the price on tickets and ppv when this shit happenes.gsp shoul get penalized if diaz would of pulled.out im sure he would.

• THEGUNNER says:

Kos vs condit. Why not.

• YetiLee says:

Well at least this way GSP gets to keep the title a few months longer. Condit is smart to wait, because he is the man who will beat GSP.

• MCM says:

Good point THEGUNNER. If I had tickets to this event, I’d want at least some of my money back. It’s not like they’re gonna add another big fight to this card on such short notice.
    Sucks for Condit, and I hope he waits his chance. Ya’ll know my stance on taking additional fights when you’re next for the title.
    I think they’re gonna move CroCop/Nelson up from the prelims.
    Man this card got a whole lot weaker. Condit was the only real test for GSP at WW.

• FUCK! Now that day is ALMOSt ruined for me…if Diaz loses I just might cry a little.

• MickeyC says:

This is bad for Gerogre. He is giving a guy that in my opinion, can already defeat him, more time to prepair.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Man-Who is Gerogre?

• MickeyC says:

Typing on a palm. Little buttons BIG man, you don’t know how it is………

• MickeyC says:

But I agree Diaz will win, I wish it was gona be a 5 rd fight. Give him time to really pick BJ apart! But reguardless of the underfights, this card just lost some apeal.

• hindsightufuk says:

absolutley gutted

• Niv says:

I think this is very sad, but I don’t share the belief that Condit was or is going to beat GSP anytime soon.

Condit is definitely upper echelon in the WW division, but like everyone else a giant notch below GSP. Rory McDonald was less than 30 seconds away from derailing Condit’s title shot run, I know that doesn’t mean that much but I just see Condit getting dominated everywhere this fight goes, no shame in that when up against GSP.

• Niv says:

I forgot my two cents on the Penn vs Diaz fight, I too believe Diaz will win this fight most likely in a decision. Either way it will be very entertaining and should have a few more people believing that Diaz is a very worthy title contender.