Jon Jones doesn’t see Lyoto Machida as the same fighter he once was

Jon Jones knows what it feels like to be called the next superstar of MMA, much like Lyoto Machida was once hailed as before he lost his UFC light heavyweight title.

Now, Jones, who is the current 205-pound champion, gets his opportunity to test out “The Dragon” when the two meet in the main event of UFC 140 on December 10 from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

“Bones” has already competed three times this year, defeating Ryan Bader to earn a shot at the title, as well as the fighter who took the belt from Machida – Mauricio “Shogun” Rua. Jones stopped Rua, having since successfully defended his crown with a submission victory over Quinton “Rampage” Jackson earlier this month.

In terms of Machida, who was last seen knocking out Randy Couture and sending him to retirement, Jones believes the mystique of Machida is no longer the same due to a pair of losses he suffered against Rua and Jackson.

“We’re not fighting the undefeated Lyoto Machida anymore,” said Jones, in an interview with The Fight Network recently. “I’ve watched him lose several rounds now through studying and I just happen to have two coaches that are southpaws now as well, so there’s a lot of knowledge in my camp about fighting guys with opposite stances.”

Ever the student, Jones is already breaking down video of Machida, saying, “We feel comfortable, we feel as if there’s been some blueprints laid out (in terms of defeating Machida). Obviously, we will come up with our own blueprint, take from what we’ve seen and make it an even greater defeat. We’re excited. We’re up to the challenge.

Along with Jones-Machida, UFC 140 will feature Frank Mir meeting Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Tito Ortiz taking on Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I am a big time fan of Lyoto-that being said-I think he looks scared-Just my thought

• Guthookd says:

>>>consults notebook>>>

>>>shuffles paper, squints eyes>>>>>a look of excitement>>>

I have Bones winning.

• drstu says:

Blueprint from Rua- punch him in the head. Blueprint from jackson- hope the judges are asleep. I don’t think we’ve learned TOO much…

• MCM says:

All we’ve learned is, cut him off and back him into the fence. That’s gonna be pretty easy for Jones. I agree with Guthookd’s notebook.

• hindsightufuk says:

i am getting so many fucking viruses from this site nowadays, someone needs to clean this shit up. takes an age to download any pages and the spyware is ridiculous

• MCM says:

I’m not getting any viruses (MAC) but this site does take longer to download than any other site on the net.

• I havent had any problems with this site as of yet….and while I too agree with Guthookd’s notebook the only thing is that the 205 belt is a hot potato that no one can seem to hold onto for more than one title shot…now MCM has a theory involving a curse and some withcraft involving Chuck Liddel and Tito Ortiz and we’ll shortly find out if that’s true but I dunno….Lyoto for the most part is still a tough match for anyone and his technique could be the difference…but I doubt it.

• MCM says:

I think Jones is gonna make Machida look like an amateur just like he’s done with every other opponent. I know MMAth doesn’t work (but MMA-metrics is gaining ground), but look at the way they each handled Rampage. I think Machida won the Rampage fight but Rampage was able to cut him off and neutralize his “elusiveness”. And Rampage wasn’t even in the best fighting shape during the Machida fight. Jones took the very best Rampage and made him look like a Shark Fights regular.
    Like I said before, I’m a fan of Machida’s and not one of Jones but I don’t see this fight going Lyoto’s way.
    Rashad will be the only person to take the belt from Jones. Now that he holds finishes over both Chuck AND Tito, so he’s a lock.