Nate Diaz vs. Donald Cerrone named as co-headliner at UFC 141

Two fearless fighters from the UFC’s lightweight division will meet in the Octagon on December 30 at UFC 141, both of whom are coming off “Submission of the Night” showings and in the hunt for a title-shot in 2012.

According to the UFC, Nate Diaz will look to build on his opening round finish of Takanori Gomi at UFC 135 when he faces streaking scrapper Donald Cerrone in co-headlining action at the New Year’s Eve Weekend event.

Diaz’s September success snapped a two-fight skid as a welterweight prompting his return to 155 pounds where he holds past victories over Kurt Pellegrino and Melvin Guillard. The 26-year old holds an overall record of 14-7 with thirteen finishes while only having himself been stopped a single time.

“Cowboy” should be ready to put that statistic to the test when they link up in Las Vegas with his ongoing six fight winning streak featuring three submissions and a TKO. Cerrone is coming off a Rear-Naked Choke of former contender Dennis Siver this past weekend. Equally impressive, Cerrone has already fought four times in 2011 meaning a win over Diaz would mark his fifth of the year.

UFC 141 is headlined by Brock Lesnar locking horns with K-1/Strikeforce champion Alistair Overeem and will also feature Ross Pearson vs. Junior Assuncao, Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Alexander Gustafsson, and Jon Fitch vs. Johny Hendricks.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

Is this really a step up for Cowboy?

• Dufresne says:

As dynamic as Cowboy has been lately, Nate better bring his A game.

• MCM says:

definitely a step down for Cowboy. I would rather have seen him get another top ten opponent. Should be a good fight though. I think it’s even possible Cerrone pulls out the submission victory.

• fanoftna33 says:

I see this as a classic match up, the cowboy probably cant stop Diaz and he has had trouble with submission guys before but his take down defense has gotten much better, and so have Diaz’s hands. It looks like a very even match up but I would pick Diaz by submission late third round.

• hindsightufuk says:

gonna be an awesome fight but in the same way i hated bj vs nick i’m gonna hate watching this too.
    i am a big fan of both these guys
    would personally rather have seen Donald vs Stout, that would have been something

• fitfreak says:

Ceronne just beat a guy that’s ranked higher than Nate, but who cares? This should be a great fight! A top LW probably wasn’t available, and they knew this fight would sell.

• edub says:

This shit talking in the lead up to this fight is going to be awesome.

I think Diaz wins, but it’s going to be a great fight.

• Guthookd says:

Looks like we’re all pretty evenly divided.

I have to pick Cowboy for the decision. I really like both guys and I think they’re both going to play it safe….Diaz because he needs to pin two wins together and Cowboy because he is so close to a title shot. On the other hand, maybe they’ll just throw down. It’s going to be a good, competitive match on the floor and on the feet.

• No maybe not a step up for Donald in the rankings talk, but had Nate stayed at 155 he’d have been in the mix with the likes of Ben, Guida and cerrone for sure. The way Nate handled Gomi was spectacular. After he went up to 170…he no longer seems to have any fear of the power of a 155er.
    Cerrone has just been on a tear and is always fun to watch…I dont even want this fight to happen, I like both these guys alot.

I’ll make my pick later.

• MickeyC says:

Two of my most favorite fighters to watch. Should be exciting. Watch for the knees & Elbows Nate!

• stone says:

Diaz all the way… Cowboy’s only chance is to out wrestle him like Joe daddy did and piss the crowd off…. Nate should be able to out box him and out jitz him

• Dufresne says:

I think it depends on which Nate Diaz shows up. If he looks like he did against Marcus Davis, Cowboy has a solid shot at winning. If he shows up like he did against Gomi, I don’t see Cowboy leaving with a smile.

Both Nate and Cerrone always show up to fight, but Cerrone is more consistent than Nate. But after watching his big brother put on a boxing clinic last weekend I fully expect Diaz to show up in top form which means we should have one hell of a fight on our hands.

• Hohlraum says:

That is going to be a hell of a fight.