Ben Henderson out to prove a point on FOX

Ben Henderson knows what being in the spotlight can do for you as a fighter, as he was a champion in the WEC and was featured in several main events on the Versus Network.

Now, with a fight against Clay Guida scheduled for this Saturday’s UFC on FOX: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos card, Henderson has come to grips with not being part of the television show. The fight, which could decide the next contender to UFC lightweight champ Frankie Edgar, will be streamed live on Facebook and FOXSports.com.

Henderson is riding a two-fight win streak since dropping his WEC title to Anthony Pettis. He stopped Jim Miller recently, sending himself right back into title contention by knocking Miller out of the top spot. Guida has won four consecutive bouts, including a victory over Pettis.

“It’s just the next step up the ladder. I don’t really care who I fight,” said Henderson, in a recent interview with USA Today. “I like all the guys in the UFC. They’re all nice, good guys, so I don’t really want to call anybody out; I’m not that kind of guy. But I do want to further my career. I want to take the right steps going up the ladder to get to the title shot.”

“Bendo”, who admits he would make a terrible matchmaker, does believe that the winner of his fight with Guida deserves to be the top contender at 155 pounds.

“Makes sense to me. Clay’s on a big fight win streak. There’s a lot of rumors about our fight being a title contentionship and all that stuff,” Henderson said. “I only have two wins so far in the UFC, but both wins (were) over quality opponents. The one win was over who Dana White said was for sure, in fact, the No. 1 contender (Miller) if he had gotten past me. If I were to hear that Clay or I – the winner of us; after I beat Clay – get a title shot, I wouldn’t be too surprised about that.”

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Richard Stabone says:

This should be a fun matchup. I’ve got Bendo taking a close decision, possibly split.

• MCM says:

I’m gonna go with Guida as I think he’ll be able to scramble better than Miller did and he has better striking (as odd as that is to say.) But in truth, I can see either of these guys beating the other and I’ll be happy no matter who wins it.

I hope we see the best Guida we ever seen BUT I feel like it’s Bendo time and he’ll get the UD.

• Richard Stabone says:

Both guys are really easy to root for. Whatever edge Guida has in striking (which is kinda like saying Oprah has a better physique than Rosie O’Donnell) is not as significant as Bendo’s edge in athleticism.

My gut says Henderson should win somewhat comfortably, but Clay is such a relentless spaz monkey grinder (I say that affectionately) that he’ll pick up a round somewhere. And there’s always at least one judge who loves the spastic style even if it’s not delivering much damage (or even on the receiving end, like Diego vs. Kampmann), which could swing things to a split decision. So this sucker should be close but I think Bendo pulls it out.

• Creature says:

I think this fight looks just like Bendo’s fight with Miller honestly, i dont see Guida having an edge over Bendo in any aspect except for overall movement.. I say striking, wrestling, and bjj advantage and overall size go to Bendo, with cardio slightly going to Guida.

Bendo by a very clear UD

• Bendo by sub….Clay’s gonna leave his neck out there on a takedown and Ben is going to put him to sleep

• MickeyC says:

Battle of the hair! Is a tuff fight to call. Both men extremly hard to finish, I see it going the whole way. I wonder if they will show this on Fox if Cain & Jrs is over quick.

• MCM says:

MickeyC – No. Dana and Fox have both said that no matter how long the HW title fight is, it is going to be the only one aired on Fox. But Fox Deportes is showing this fight and the Poirier/Grispi fight.