Brown Pride: I’m with Velasquez

This is the story of a Mexican who has been down but never out, a Mexican who has run through everyone in his way, a Mexican who is the leader of a nation, a Mexican who has a heart despite his bad ass persona, and a Mexican who you don’t want to f*ck with.

This is the story of Machete.

This is also the story of UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez.

I watched the movie Machete the other night and immediately drew comparisons to Mr. Velasquez. This is the story of both men and how I saw Machete throughout the movie and how fans have seen Velasquez throughout his career. Please note that this column contains spoilers of all of Velasquez’ previous fights. Also the movie Machete.

In the life of the UFC champ, Velasquez is a Mexican fighter who couldn’t get fights, was given “no-win” opponents, and yet managed to dominate and win the title.

In the movie Machete, Danny Trejo plays a Mexican rebel who was set up, left for dead, and yet managed to survive and overcome.

Velasquez entered the UFC after just two professional fights because no one on the local scene wanted to fight him. He ran through his first three opponents, but people were still skeptical because of who he fought.

Machete entered a house full of thugs and easily ran through them. Since they were just your typical “nameless bad guys who are supposed to die,” I was skeptical on whether or not Machete could hold his own against the tougher villians.

Velasquez dominated Cheick Kongo, but was rocked numerous times during the fight, leaving people to question his chin. He easily dispatched of Ben Rothwell, but because of the stoppage, which was very questionable but really just saved Rothwell from death, people still wondered just how good he was.

Machete killed some more “nameless bad guys” after he was hospitalized. I was impressed with his ability to use his smarts, despite not being at 100%, sort of like Cain reverting back to his wrestling after being rocked by Kongo. Machete didn’t kill the main bad guy, Sniper, played by Shea Whigham, in the scene though, instead deciding to flee, so I still wasn’t sure he could take out the big guns of the movie.

In his two most impressive victories, Velasquez dispatched of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Brock Lesnar. Unfortunately, there were still questions surrounding Cain’s wins, not because of his performances, but because of who he beat. People though Nogueira was washed up and people thought Lesnar was overrated and not 100%.

Machete’s two most impressive killings to date were a little questionable to me as well. Sniper was killed, but not directly by Machete. Instead Michael Booth, played by Jeff Fahey, killed him. I give Machete credit for the killing though because had he not gotten away, Sniper would not have been killed. The other big killing by Machete was that of Booth, but once again, Machete didn’t directly kill him. Booth was killed by John McLaughlin, played by Robert De Niro, but that killing doesn’t happen if not for Machete’s actions earlier in the movie.

Now Velasquez fights Junior dos Santos this weekend in a bout that has MMA fans salivating. Dos Santos is the #1 contender to the title, undefeated in the organization, and has steamrolled through every opponent that has stepped up to face him.

In the climax of the movie, Machete battles Torrez, who is played by Steven Seagal. That’s right, Steven Seagal. The same man that taught Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida the “kick of death.” The same Silva and Machida that have sparred with Dos Santos in the past.

In the movie, Machete kills Torrez, proving that he is the baddest Mexican on the planet and he can overcome an army of men that is led by a master warrior.

In real life, Velasquez won’t kill Dos Santos, but he will try his hardest to beat him so badly that a referee has to step in and stop him from suffering the same fate as Torrez.

Machete had the backing of the Mexican nation behind him. He was fighting for the illegal immigrants who were just looking for a job in America. Velasquez has the back of La Raza. He is fighting for the hard working Mexican’s who want a role model.

The only difference between Velasquez and Machete is that if Velasquez wins, he’ll get to hold on to a gold belt. When Machete won, he got to hold on to Sartanta Rivera, played by Jessica Alba. Advantage Machete.

In the same vein, stay tuned for the fight this Saturday when Velasquez Wins and his next fight when Velasquez Wins Again.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• thomaswhigham says:

Glad to see a reference to my cousin Shea Whigham on my favorite MMA website. He does a lot of cool films. And this fight is going to be gangbusters.

• How much herb DO you consume in a sitting? Just kidding Jeremy, good article, and I see your reasons for taking Cain.

But I think Junior has his number. Carwin couldnt take him down and despite what everyone said about Cain being more accomplished than Carwin, he had MORE awards but much less prestigious ones. Cain was cracked by Kongo and put down twice before hopping to his feet and mauling the frenchman, but Junior wont hesitate if he tags Cain…he’ll punch until the ref stops the fight. Both have OUTSTANDING cardio great skillsets and alot of speed.

I cant wait.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Here is my problem with both fighters. Cain has fought 4 good fighters. Kongo, where he was dropped twice and was lucky Kongo (for some bizzare reason) was trying to wrestle Cain, even after having so much success on the feet. Then there was Rothwell, a fight he was winning well but struggling to do damage. The fight ended in the worst stoppage in the history of MMA. Then there was Nog. Imo the most impressive of his victories. He knocked Nog down and finished him. Then there was the “fight” with Lesnar. Lesnar bull rushed him, took him down but couldnt hold him there and as soon as Valasquez touched Lesnar, Lesnar put it in reverse and flawed it looking like a MMA noob and curling up like a guy who has never trained in MMA.
    Now lets look at Jr. He has beaten Werdum in a flash KO and thats it as far as good victories go. His other good victory was over Housten Alexander…errr I mean Carwin. None of the other fighters he has fought are very good. Nelson has never won against a guy who was ranked above 25 or so, same with Struve, Yvel went 2-6 in Pride and 0-3 in the UFC, Crocop is now 4-6 in the UFC and has not won against a top HW fighter since Josh Barnett 6 or so years ago.
    Its just my opinion but I think both fighters have a lot to prove.

• stone says:

MACHETE DOESN’T BLOG

• Guthookd says:

MMA-LOGIC, that is a great breakdown.

I have been wondering how the hell people all over the internet are saying that this fight is going to be the most important in the history of the sport. Maybe just because it’s the first network fight, but in terms of star power and just plain fighter quality I agree with MMA-LOGIC, they both have miles to go. Neither one of them seems all that special to me.

• MCM says:

It’s easy to pick apart fighters records after the fact. But look at where they were at the time of the fights.
    LOGIC, you say Cain only has 4 good fights, well I agree with you. But look at the difference between the fighter that fought Kongo (a notoriously solid chin BTW) and the Cain that fought Big Nog and Lesnar. The guy improves light years with each fight. Do I think he’s the greatest HW of all time? Hell no. I don’t think guys should even be ranked until they’ve had at least 10 fights. But to not be impressed with Cain, this early in his career just seems spiteful.
    And to say that JDS has only one good win is simply ignoring the facts. Carwin was 12-1 when they fought with wins over top guys at the time in Mir and Gonzaga (whom JDS also has a win over) and hadn’t allowed any of his 12 wins to leave the 1st round. That’s a better record than any other HW outside of Fedor has had at the start of their career. You also can’t say that Cro Cop is 4-6 when at the time he was 1-2 in the UFC but 7-2-1 in his past 10. That includes wins over Barnette (3 yr difference at the time), Wandy, and a no contest to Overeem. He was still a top 10 when he met JDS. Including Gonzaga, that’s 4 good wins.
    The HW division has always been the thinnest in the history of the sport. I look at it this way. PRIDE only had 4 great HW’s, Fedor, Barnette, Big Nog, and Cro Cop. And each ones biggest wins were against the other (‘cept no one beat Fedor). How is that any different than today’s Cain, JDS, Lesner, Carwin? Are these guys going to be legends? I don’t know. But at this point they are far from mediocre as you insinuated.

Guthookd- I think people are calling this the most important fight simply because it’s on FOX. I’d say the same thing if it was Guida/Bendo headlining.

• elsicilian says:

@MMA-LOGIC – Of course they both have a lot to prove … it’s quite early in each of their respective careers, and even though Velasquez is the undisputed heavyweight champion, he’s hasn’t yet defended that title even once. But every fighter in his prime who hasn’t cleaned out his division (basically anybody other than Anderson Silva, GSP, and maybe Jose Aldo) has a lot to prove as well, so that point isn’t very meaningful. More importantly, the fact that nothing will prove so much about either man as the outcome of this fight against the other underscores the significance of Saturday’s main event.

In any case, it doesn’t seem like a very good reason to turn your nose up at a FREE championship fight between the two consensus #1 heavyweights in the world, both of whom are undefeated in the UFC, entering the prime of their career, and who between them have dispatched most of the rest of the top 10 pretty handily. While neither guy has the dynamic TV personality of a Brock Lesnar or Frank Mir, they’ve been the two biggest bullies on the block for a while now, and if you can’t get legitimately excited about such a momentous battle, I don’t really know what to tell you …

Re: “the most important fight in the history of the sport” – Dana White has been predicting for years that the UFC’s debut on network television would be a watershed moment for the sport, and recently he’s been explicitly comparing it to the Bonnar/Griffin fight in terms of importance. It seems pretty obvious that is a statement about the event’s role in popular culture as opposed to any significance within the sport itself (neither Bonnar nor Griffin was anything close to an elite fighter at the time of the first TUF finale, but that’s universally considered the “most important fight in MMA” to date).

• edub says:

“Cant see how anyone can say his cardio is outstanding when his longest fight was agaist Kongo( 3 rds) and he hit Kongo 250 times in the head and Kongo was hardly phased.”

-The fact that he’s a HW who scored takedowns at will, and threw over 200 punches in a three round fight means he has phenomenal cardio for a HW. The fact that he didn’t faze Cheick has more to do with Kongo’s chin and Cain’s punching power at the time.

“Kongo, where he was dropped twice and was lucky Kongo (for some bizzare reason) was trying to wrestle Cain, even after having so much success on the feet.”

-He wasn’t lucky, he weathered the storm and was down right dominant for getting dropped multiple times.

-Kongo didn’t try to wrestle Cain. He was forced to.

“Then there was Rothwell, a fight he was winning well but struggling to do damage.”

-He was doing plenty of damage, he dropped him multiple times and was teeing off at will on another guy with a notoriously good chin.

“The fight ended in the worst stoppage in the history of MMA.”

-Apparently you need to watch more MMA. That stoppage wouldn’t even make the top 20. Hell, it wasn’t even that bad. Rothwell was getting trounced.

“Lesnar bull rushed him, took him down but couldnt hold him there and as soon as Valasquez touched Lesnar,”

-I like how you just skim over the fact that after Lesnar had finished pretty much everyone he was able to get on top of, Cain was back on his feet in mere seconds. IMO that’s pretty impressive.

“Now lets look at Jr. He has beaten Werdum in a flash KO and thats it as far as good victories go. His other good victory was over Housten Alexander…errr I mean Carwin.”

-Flash KO? More like destructive KO, or crumbling KO. Flash KO (used more as flash knockdown) is referred to normally as a punch nobody saw coming that doesn’t look like its thrown with much power. I’m sure you didn’t mean that.

-Carwin is far from Alexander. His two losses are to the consensus #1 HW in MMA at the time, and a consensus top 3 guy. Other than that he has top tier wins over Gabriel Gonzaga and Mir. The best guy Alexander ever beat was Keith Jardine.

“Its just my opinion but I think both fighters have a lot to prove.”

Both fighters have plenty of room to grow, that is true. But if the two guys fighting Saturday have to prove themself, then they’ll have nobody to do that against. Because they are head shoulders above everybody else right now in the HW division.

• Richard Stabone says:

Some good discussion above. Agree with the general sentiment that both are relatively unproven, which I think makes this fight really intriguing.

Between the two, I’m a little more impressed by Cain’s track record and visible improvement in the cage from fight to fight. Obviously he got touched up in the Kongo fight but in a sense it showed off some of his strengths — chin, cardio, etc. And in the fights since he’s looked virtually untouchable.

JDS’s best win is Carwin, and I both agree & disagree with some of the earlier comments about Carwin. First off, I think Carwin showed himself to be a really damn good fighter with what he’s done in the cage along the way. BUT… coming off neck surgery, at age 35, which kept him out of the cage for nearly a full year… I can’t chalk that up for JDS as a win over the dominant, highly ranked Carwin. We kinda went thru this in the Sonnen thread the other day, but you just have to consider all of the surrounding circumstances. And rankings often suck.

That JDS didn’t finish Roy or Carwin makes it pretty difficult for me to envision him taking out Cain. I expect an entertaining, fairly competitive fight but ultimately see Cain finishing JDS in the 3rd or 4th.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Err I mean distance not fistance.

• MCM says:

I like “fistance” better. :)

• MMA-LOGIC says:

MCM stop, for the love of god, stop putting words in my mouth. It makes me soooooo angry. WHERE THE FUK DID I SAY I WASNT IMPRESSED? Dont do that, if not for me, for yourself. I mean are you arguing with me or somebody you made me out to be so you have more amunition. Debate what I said and not what you want me to have said. Also I seriously doubt Gonzagas cred as.a top guy considering he has only beaten 1 fighter that was within the top 20 and that was a massive upset at the time. Carwin is shit, if you break his career down, he has won against 1 guy with real cred and that was Mir. If you include that fight all of that guys opponents records add up to about a 9-7 win loss ratio. That includes Gonzaga and Mir!. Carwin IS another Sokadjou, all hype (not without reason) but no substance.

• edub says:

“Edub Kongo was going for the shot. He was dropping Cain, then instead of creating fistance he was.closing it and shooting.”

Wrong. The only time he tried to “wrestle” Cain was in the third round when he knew Cain was going to dive straight for the double leg anyway. And he still couldn’t stop it.

“Edub, flash ko is one punch or sometimes a ko for a breif amount of time NOT what you said.”

If it was just one punch then every single KO shot would be a “flash KO”. If it is a KO for a brief amount of time then it is nothing like the shot JDS hit Werdum with.

And how I described it is much more prevalent when using the term (which actually was generalized in boxing as flash knockdown).

• MMA-LOGIC says:

What the fight again even Roegan is amazed at Kongos.persistance to wrestle. You are wrong. A flash Ko or knockdown is from 1 punch and not an acumulation so no, not all KOs are flash ones. It is as if it comes from nothing and many kos in MMA are flash kos becuz we dont have 10 counts.

• edub says:

I know its not from an accumulation. I never said it was. I’m not wrong, it’s described exactly how I put it.

“It is as if it comes from nothing and many kos in MMA are flash kos ”

What I said: “Flash KO (used more as flash knockdown) is referred to normally as a punch nobody saw coming”.

Pretty much the same thing. The only thing is when he winds up a crushes Werdum with an uppercut that my grandmother could see coming, there is nothing flash about it.

On the Rogan speak: There was a reason he tried to sprawl on him so many times. Each time he let Cain get on his legs he had no chance.

Sometimes Rogan isn’t the best assessment of situations.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Kongo shot on Cain 3 times and also initiated the clinch multiple times.
    Flash ko or knockdown is defined as a short or quick knockdown/KO, so we are both wrong. What I was meaning was it was the very first punch.

• edub says:

There are many different definitions, but what I put down is generally the terms used. And as I said it is derived from flash knockdown which is the base. Either way, the shot JDS his Werdum with wasn’t a flash knockout.

Kongo did shoot a few times, but it was only after he got taken down so easily by Cain. It wasn’t like he was trying to wrestle him the whole fight.

• edub says:

“Why would you shoot on Cain or clinch when you have knocked him down with strikes twice was my point.”

Kongo was stopping a lot of people on the ground at that time. He beat up Cro Cop in the clinch and ground, and I believe he had just stopped Al-Turk there (or after).

That makes more sense though.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

No edub you said “as a punch nobody saw coming that doesn’t look like its thrown with much power. I’m sure you didn’t mean that.” Which is wrong. It is not that AT ALL.
    Oh and you watch a lot of MMA, how many stoppages have you seen where the fighter is standing up rather than going down like in the Rothwell fight? I believe Cain even said it was early.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

The only two standing stoppages I can recall is Thompson vs Kevin Fixed…umm I mean Ferguson and this one. In the Rothwell fight Cain is trying to hold him down but cant and as he kinda fench walks his way up and to his feet, the fight was stopped. That is the worst decision Ive ever seen, you do not stop a fight with a fighter getting up, ever.

• edub says:

He had gone down multiple times before that, there was no way rothwell had a chance at anything else besides getting hit clean in the face. That has to be taken into account when officiating. Just off the top of my head the Wiman-Danzig, Roller-Grant, Vera-Werdum, and Pulver-Sakurai were all worse. If you want another example of fighters still getting stopped when standing Thompson-Slice and Burnett-Tadeu were also good stoppages.

It is that a very good amount actually “referred to normally as a punch nobody saw coming that doesn’t look like its thrown with much power”. Mostly in boxing, where the term was invented.

• edub says:

Thompson was out on his feet, and could barely stand when the ref stopped it. He also has a history of being KTFO. The conspiracy theory of that fight being fixed is retarded. Kimbo was put in with a guy he could beat, simple.

• edub says:

“That is the worst decision Ive ever seen, you do not stop a fight with a fighter getting up, ever.”

When he’s taking flush rights and lefts to the face while he’s trying to stand, and the guy hitting him with the flush shots isn’t even breathing heavy; it’s a good idea to stop the fight.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

False citizenship and racial schematics aside-I am going with the American(seems to be out of fashion these days)-Cain Velasquez-nuff said

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Oh my god! You are the ONLY person on the planet that thinks the Rothwell stopage was justified. Even Rothwell and Cain said it wasnt. Speaking of taking shots Kimbo took 50 unanswered shots in a row in the Thomson fight with out defending and Thompson was standing and arguing with the ref as the fight was stopped. Edub AS ALWAYS you take the side that suits you even though it is absurd. Please name more standing stopages in major fight organisations where the fighter was willing to continue or even worse he was try…was standing up after a takedown. The Rothwell fight was the worst stoppage ever. A guy is powering through his opponents blows to his feet to have the fight stopped as he fence walks his way up to where he has the advantage, the ref stops it even though he was fully aware of what was happening and taking the fight to wherehe wanted to be. Dont be stupid, it NEVER happens cuz it shouldnt happen, Rothwell knew it, Cain knew it, everyone on the planet knows it, it is the only time ever, ever ,ever it has happened and edub thinks it was right. Yeah you and the ref…no actually Im pretty sure the ref regrets it, just you thinks it was the right call.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I suppose no UFC fights have ever been fixed either.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Yeah dude is American. Was born in California. How is it “brown pride” is fine but if you had “white pride” you are a racist?

• Niv says:

Double standards piss me off too. Brown Pride is racist period, I get he’s proud, if you’re not proud of your heritage who is? But this pussy world we live in gives people passes based on ethnicity and skin colour when they should be shamed no different than a white person using the “White Pride” slogan.

Regardless of the bs politics this fight should be great and I do expect Velasquez to lose by tko by the 3rd round. By the way my pick has nothing to do with his tattoo, I’ve been saying for some time now JDS is the best HW in the UFC and I expect him to prove it tomorrow.

This could make for an even more intriguing matchup down the road as I think JDS kryptonite might be Overeem, the man with the best stand up in the HW division period.

• Richard Stabone says:

Different historical context.

• MCM says:

MMA-LOGIC – “MCM stop, for the love of god, stop putting words in my mouth. It makes me soooooo angry. WHERE THE FUK DID I SAY I WASNT IMPRESSED? Dont do that, if not for me, for yourself. I mean are you arguing with me or somebody you made me out to be so you have more amunition. Debate what I said and not what you want me to have said”

Since you asked.
    Based on you’re post, you stated your “problem” with Cain by listing his 4 biggest wins and then going on to diminish each one as poor game planning, early stoppage, or inferior competition. You also do the same with JDS as flash KO and lower level competition. You then ended with “both fighters have a lot to prove.”
    Based on just those points in your argument, a logical conclusion is that you are unimpressed with the fighters. You didn’t actually verbalize the words “I’m not impressed” and that’s why at the end of my post I said you Insinuated them.
    If I’m completely truthful with myself I might have been mixing in some of Guthookd’s post as well where he said neither one seemed all the special to him.

Honestly, please don’t take any of this personally. I don’t know you, only the persona that you put on MMA websites. And in truth, if you and your persona were to come to my town, I’d be the first to offer to take you out for a beer and talk fights.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

stop with the historical context” lame ass excuse