UFC on FOX 1 Live Results and Coverage

It didn’t seem possible years ago when the UFC was struggling to remain on PPV, but tonight the worlds largest MMA organization takes that next step into the mainstream when they make their debut on network television. Coming to us from the Honda Center in Anaheim, California; it’s UFC on FOX: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos. As always, Five Ounces of Pain will provide complete results along with a round by round recap of the main event fight.

The action kicks off at 4:45 PM EST on Facebook.com or FoxSports.com with nine preliminary fights. Then at 9 PM EST, the UFC goes live on FOX with the main event.

UFC on FOX 1 is headlined by Cain Velasquez, the undefeated heavyweight champion of the world, taking on knockout artist Junior dos Santos in a fight guaranteed to deliver fireworks. While that will be the only fight airing live on FOX, the co-main event features a lightweight showdown between Ben Henderson and Clay Guida, in a battle to determine the #1 contender to the title.

PRELIMINARY CARD

Aaron Rosa def. Matt Lucas via Majority Decision
Mike Pierce def. Paul Bradley via Split Decision
Alex Caceres def. Cole Escovedo via Unanimous Decision
Robert Peralta def. Mackens Semerzier via TKO Round 3 (Strikes) *The TKO started with an accidental clash of heads, which could mean the decision is overturned in the near future.
Darren Uyenoyama def. Kid Yamamoto via Unanimous Decision
DaMarques Johnson def. Clay Harvison via TKO Round 1 (Punches)
Ricardo Lamas def. Cub Swanson via Submission Round 2 (Arm Triangle Choke)
Dustin Poirier def. Pablo Garza via Submission Round 2 (D’Arce Choke)
Ben Henderson def. Clay Guida via Unanimous Decision

MAIN EVENT

Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos

Round One: Cain opened up with leg kicks early. JDS landed a huge overhand right that dropped Cain, pounced on him, and pounded him out with strikes. Unfortunately a very quick fight but a hell of an ending.

Result: Junior dos Santos def. Cain Velasquez via KO Round 1 (Punches) to win the UFC Heavyweight Title

• Sykotick says:

28-28?!?! One of these judges is on crack!

• MCM says:

how do you get a 28-28 in a 10 point must system?

• Sykotick says:

Matt Lucas kept losing his mouth guard, and got a point deducted and even tho he gassed in the first 30 seconds and threw like 5 punches all fight long, the crack judge saw him with the fight! The other 2 called it 30-26

• Sykotick says:

For Rosa

• MCM says:

Split Decision? These judges are gonna f-up one of these fights tonight.

• Sykotick says:

Bruce leroy looked awesome

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Would love to see Caceres join BLACKHOUSE or Cesar Gracie-One judge is definitely doing speedballs or some ish -UFC needs instant replay immediately-Semerz and Peralta(case in point)

• MCM says:

Glad to see Clay get KO’d. I couldn’t stand that guy on TUF. I don’t care for DeMarques either though.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

My worst fear is that Steven Seagal somehow gets face time on UFC on FOX tonight

Steven seagal is the only reason UFC is on fox ;)

• Sykotick says:

I’m fuckin salivating in anticipation of these last two fight!!!! o.O

I agree with those above comments about the 28-28 scoring… Judging needs to improve or this sport will embarass it self in the mainstream & lose casual fans whom think it’s the promotion making these crazy officiating decisions… Fingers crossed

Whose ready to witness some fucking history tonight? Hope to see a great HW fight!!

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Ciganooooooooooo!

• Dufresne says:

Just managed to get to a computer with internet. Hate that I missed the early fights, but damn am I glad I got here as Bruce was announcing the beginning of the Guida/ Henderson fight!

• Sykotick says:

Bring the pain, Cain!!

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Henderson all the way!!-YEAH BABY!!

Battle of the hairstyles

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

first round goes to afro

• Sykotick says:

Hendo has this, and I don’t think anyone is gonna stop him

Way to go Benny!!!!!

• Sykotick says:

I want 2 more rounds!!!!

• Dufresne says:

Great fight. Luckily the judges got this one right.

• fanoftna33 says:

Guida vs Henderson in the fight of the year. damm both guys are awesome

Yeah-me too

• Dufresne says:

I can’t wait for Edgar/Henderson. I think I read they were targeting February as long as the winner of Henderson/Guida didn’t get hurt in the fight.
    Bendo is an animal. There aren’t many fighters that can match or even exceed Guida’s pace, but he managed it tonight and didn’t even look tired after 15 minutes of it.

Wonder what the live crowd is doing during all this down time… Damn they should have showed highlights of Ben & guida…

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Hender’s secret is how low he gets during takedown positionings-probably due to his asian background and under utilized calf development

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Whooooooooo!!!!!!!!-Let’s go Cain!!!!!-My fellow American!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Dufresne says:

HOLY SHIT!!! CIGANO!!!!!!!!!!

I knew it…. Ciganoooooo!

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Wow!!!!!!!-Junior deserves all the props!!!!!!!!

• fanoftna33 says:

damm I really thought Cain had this one.

• Sykotick says:

Good job by the Gypsy, wasn’t my pic, but all the respect to him and his!

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

No joke-all of a sudden I realize just how underrated Junior is and has been

God bleess Junior!!!!!

• Niv says:

I called it, JDS is the best HW in the UFC, now everything will be perfect if we can get that Overeem vs JDS fight, it’ll be the best stand up fight any of us can ever hope to see.

Congrats to JDS, a very deserving champion.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Hate to burst your bubble-but JDS is going to have to face the one true challenger to his throne-BROCK LESNAR!!!!!!

• fanoftna33 says:

for sure niv thats what i am looking forward to now.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Hard to judge anything from that fight. Was Cain the fighter he was before the injury? Can Dos Santos fight on the ground?
    Good punch from Dos Santos but not the best fight from Cain. As Nelson has shown, if Jr cant take you out with his boxing, he offers little else(so far). Like to see him against a highly skilled striker like Overeem or a very good grappler like … I would say Lesnar but I fear that all Junior will have to do is fake a punch and Brock will start running. So Ill say Mir or Barnett. Im sure those fights may happen soon enough.

• Niv says:

Thanks for laugh GIKE, the one true challenger is a farce. How can any self respecting fighter turn into a fetal position ninja turtle sans the ninja?

The guy was built up and everyone bought the joke hook line and sinker, Overeem is going to blast Brock and we’ll get the type of HW championship fight the fans deserve with JDS and Overeem.

I must say I’m thinking that UFC on Fox premiere probably didn’t hook too many new fans… I’m a die hard and I was just happy to see JDS win but other than that it was all a bit lack luster…. Just sayin’… Next time out they need to really “wow” the masses cause I just don’t think that did it.

Oh and Brock Lesnar beats Overeem… And re-legitimizes his top 5 standing.

Brock has fought nothing but the best since being in the octagon… This guy could pad his record with gate keepers but no he continues to fight the best, Overeem is a multi promotion HW champ… What better way to warm up for JDS.

And yes I am a mark for brock Lesnar.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Was the worst idea ever to have 1 fight. Just stupid. If you have 3 fights like BJ vs Diaz, Nelson vs Kongo and Leben vs a hippo you may hook some new fans in but I think this fight may have turned skeptics off and reinforced the idea that MMA fighters cant strike to those other fight fans.

• Richard Stabone says:

Wow, while not a shocking finish it definitely wasn’t the result I expected. That behind-the-ear shot is just completely debilitating… as countless fighters have found out, but what came to mind right away for me was the Serra shot on GSP that sent him drunkenly staggering around the cage. After JDS tagged Cain, the follow-up shots weren’t even landing but it didn’t matter. Cain’s equlibrium was completely jacked.

But like GSP bounced back, I think Cain will do the same. As silly as it sounds (and it’s not sour grapes; I’m not a huge fan of Cain or JDS but they’re both plenty likeable), I still view Cain as the top heavyweight… well, him or Overeem. I think Overeem will take care of Brock and then we’ll get to see an incredible stand-up battle between JDS and Overeem.

So just for kicks, here’s how I got things playing out over the next several months…

1) Overeem vs. Brock – I think Overeem prevails, although I’m still on the fence about this one, cuz if Brock gets Overeem on his back it could be over quickly

2) Overeem vs. JDS – I have to go with Overeem, his standup is just devastating

3) Overeem vs. Cain – I think Cain’s overall skill set is too much for Overeem, and Cain regains the belt.

Yeah it’s probably silly to try to think this far ahead right now, but I can’t help it. So while I’m at it, I’ll throw this out there too…

I’ve got Bendo being too much for Frankie in a 5-round war, and finally sending Frankie down a class to square off against Aldo (after the obligatory one win for Frankie).

Finally, I was really impressed with the Fox production for tonight’s event. Yeah we all wish the main event would’ve lasted longer to see things develop a bit more, but a quick decisive KO is hardly the worst thing that can happen in MMA. The way things played out it would’ve been great to include the Bendo-Guida fight as a co-main event lead in, but it was just too unpredictable that the main event would be done so soon, and I thought they did a fine job with the rest of the production-y stuff… the discussion with Brock, Dana and the Fox guy was very engaging, the fighter bios were interesting, etc. Just a cool night with the big Fox debut and I think it played out pretty darn well. I’m just itching for the next fights.

• Richard Stabone says:

^and obviously Cain will have to win a fight somewhere in there; not sure who it will be against but I expect him to bounce back with a victory.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Brock Lesnar is a little bit of a fraud. I say this for 2 reasons. First is he isnt really an “MMA” fighter. He has a set of skills and power but so far he has shown a serious lack of ability in the most basic of MMA skills. 2nd reason is that his tattoo on his chest is really bad.

• Richard Stabone says:

To say Brock isn’t a real MMA fighter is pretty absurd. He’s beaten one of the top BJJ practitioners in his weight class, as well as one of the top grapplers in the world. The beauty of “MMA” is that the best style wins. And what might be the best style one fight doesn’t mean it’s the best style the next time out, as it obviously depends on the matchup. This dynamic element of the sport is what makes it such a beautiful thing.

That said, Brock’s MMA window is closing quickly. He’s a 2-fight win streak away from once again being HW champ. But if he loses one of those fights his career is effectively over. Time to get busy, Brock.

Logic his tattoo is no worse then your posts…

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Good fight. Bit too quick but, not bad. I was not at all impressed with FOX. They are just lucky fight did not go distance. Fight could go a max of 25 minutes. Show was scheduled for 1 hour. The fight did not start until there was less than 25 minutes remaining in the show. If it had gone the distance Fox would have been over by close to 10 minutes.

Since I don’t use facebook or twitter my option for seeing the undercard was foxsports.com which claimed to have them online. Too bad they didn’t. Clicked on Giuda/Hendo link and got some guy yapping about college football. When I finally got a chance to see what looked like a great fight I got about 90 seconds of highlights where the opening of the video told me who won before I could even see the clip.

Very disappointed. I don’t feel like Fox truly gets MMA yet. You can’t just give 90 seconds of 15 minute fight and expect to skate by. That clip was so hard to find buried deep in their site with no links telling me exactly where to find what I wanted. There is more College football clips on their site than MMA. Hope they get it together otherwise UFC will end up looking like a 3rd tier sport like beach volleyball.
    ————————–
    It was nice to see Brock again. Knowing how he isn’t a big fan of media obligations he did a good job and came across as real personable.

• Richard Stabone says:

Obviously if the fight had gone 5 rounds they wouldn’t have cut if off to switch over to Cops. They of course knew they had 1 hour to work with and took a calculated risk with the main event start time, and it worked out. The rest of the 2nd guessing is pointless, as it had no real effect.

I went to foxsports.com earlier today and clicked on the big “UFC” link towards the top of the page. This took me to the main UFC page which right away had the big option in the middle of the screen to click to watch the live fights. I watched from the Cub Swanson fight on, including the Bendo-Guida fight. Pretty good quality – not HD but just as good as TV was prior to HD.

Agree Brock did pretty well – I really enjoyed the discussion with Brock, Dana and the Fox dude (who didn’t miss a beat).

• MMA-LOGIC says:

You missed my point Richard. He doesnt know how to pull gaurd and runs when hit. MMA fighters know how to pull gaurd and what to do when hit, dont they?
    @Reece Im telling your man lover Dana White you fancy a bit of the Lesnar in full mount if you know what I mean ; )

• Richard Stabone says:

@Logic Does Brock have holes in his game? Of course. Does than mean he’s not a real “MMA” fighter? Of course he is, based on what he’s *actually* accomplished in the cage.

• Richard Stabone says:

FYI – Pacquiao fight to start in about 15 minutes…

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Yes he has managed to curl up like a fetus twice when hit. Look Richard Im not the only one who thinks this. Bas Rutten says the same thing and he has done it twice. Sure he has won, but he also been exposed badly. If Paq man was to enter MMA and win, does that make him a MMA fighter? No it doesnt. Learning the basics like gaurd and how to take and avoid strikes. Lesnar has seriously lacked those skills. I know he is fighting in MMA and I know he has done well a few times but the guy has also showm a serious lack of basic MMA ability. Thats all I was meaning.

• Richard Stabone says:

Logic, I get what you’re saying. The holes in Brock’s MMA game are gaping, and I think will prevent him from regaining the strap. But at the same time he’s dominated all but one of the opponents put in front of him (albeit in a relatively short MMA career).

But anyone who enters the cage and beats multiple top-tier fighters to capture a title is a MMA fighter, in my book. It’s nice to be well-rounded; it’s better to win.

• elsicilian says:

Brock Lesnar has fought at the highest level of the UFC for several years now. He’s had four title fights vs. UFC HW champions/top contenders, and has beaten Randy Couture, Frank Mir, and Shane Carwin in convincing fashion (which certainly doesn’t suggest “a lack of basic MMA ability”). Sure he’s more of a specialist than guys like Velasquez, and his career has been somewhat brief relative to the other top fighters in the organization. But the name of the game is winning with whatever works, so saying he “isn’t a real MMA fighter” is plain asinine …. you can save that sort of nonsense for guys like James Toney and Kimbo Slice (guys with whom Lesnar has little in common).

• Brendhan Conlan says:

I could be wrong but I think 58 comments is a record for 5 OZ. Fitting! :)

• elsicilian says:

BTW, I thought that fight was great (free HW title fight, fireworks, decisive outcome, the end). The coverage I am reading would lead you to believe that it was a total fiasco for UFC (and all of the pre-fight hyperbole about this being “the most momentous fight in MMA” probably set some pretty unreasonable expectations). In retrospect, the UFC obviously made a tactical error by failing to include Guida/Henderson on the broadcast.

But this isn’t like 2005, when people might have realistically flipped over to the Griffin/Bonnar TUF finale and jumped out of their seat yelling “what the hell is this?” MMA has been in heavy rotation on basic cable for years (not to mention free-TV pioneers like IFL and Elite XC) and it’s been quite prevalent in popular culture for years as well. The point was not to simply introduce a mainstream audience to the concept of MMA, but rather to show them what *quality* MMA looks like, and I think it probably succeeded. A quick decisive knockout is much easier to sell than a close decision (especially if that close decision involved a lot of laying-and-praying), and it provided the perfect contrast to Pacquiao/Marquez later that night.

All in all, I think people within the sport might have expected too much (and the pre-fight noob-level introductory stuff was probably less useful than just showing the co-main event would have been), but the show did what it was supposed to do, so folks should probably quit slamming it. I’ll be very curious to see how the ratings turn out …

• RicM says:

………………Dana W didn’t seem too happy w/ Cain at the end of the program……….and really,your biggest fight to date,on FOX,and only a little over a minute???? Sorry guys, epic fail on my vote……shoulda shown Henderson/Guida…..the casual FOX fan got no feel for MMA with that so called “Main Event”…..good thing that wasn’t PPV ………….

• Sykotick says:

RicM, how can you say fail?!
    MMA on network tv, #1 and #2 heavyweights in the world fought for the title, and it ended decisively by K.O.
    Far from a fail, my friend, far from a fail…

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Hey Niv-Brock Lesnar is a nightmare for any HW in MMA-Whether it be cain or JDS or Oveream-Believe me-none of them would go into a fight against that farm boy without proper training