Chael Sonnen loses cool during interview when asked about Anderson Silva

It seems like someone found a crack in that seemingly thick skin Chael Sonnen sports.

While appearing on TSN’s Off The Record Wednesday, Michael Landsberg asked Sonnen why he backed off his terms of a “Loser Leaves Town” match with UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva. By his reaction, it was clear Sonnen did not enjoy the tone that Landsberg used and went on the offensive with the host.

“You might want to take the bass out of your tone,” Sonnen replied when accused of reneging on his terms. “I’m not sure you know who you’re talking to here, but I’ve never backed down from anything, so check your facts.”

Sonnen and Landsberg went back-and-forth before the former #1 contender eventually stormed off the stage. Sonnen is attempting to work his way back into a rematch with Silva, having called out the Brazilian title-holder following his win over Brian Stann earlier this year at UFC 136.

Though the UFC is pushing for the rematch no official word has surfaced as to when/if Silva vs. Sonnen II will take place.

Check out the full interview in the video below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Kamakosmo says:

This Landberg (douche) deserved everything Sonnen dumped on him. Very unprofessional interview conducted by this tool.

• YetiLee says:

I will agree that Landsberg is a douche, he always has been for the 15 years I have been watching OTR. But I don’t see for one second how he was unprofessional, he asked Sonnen some questions that he didn’t like and that he had no answer for and he got upset. If anybody was unprofessional it was Chael, and I am a fan of his and can say he came off worse than Landsberg.

• Lord Faust says:

Going to second the “that’s just how Landsberg is” comment. I’ve watched OTR, on and off, for the better part of 15 years; this is the norm.

Besides, Sonnen is pretty ridiculous in his interviews; it’s not like Sonnen shouldn’t be able to handle some questioning considering the outlandish stuff he’s said in the past.

• edub says:

Yeti and Faust- I’m more or less in agreement with you guys. It seems that there is some backlash towards Landsberg on line in a bunch of places on line, and I really don’t understand why. If Chael wants to push his Schtick down the throats of everybody, that’s fine by me. But does that mean journalists aren’t able to ask him serious questions? I don’t agree with that at all.

IMO he could’ve gone even further and brought up his TRT use and the nefarious timeline which it consisted of.

• Niv says:

I guess there’s a few Canadian’s here, I too have watched OTR for years and unfortunately missed this episode, however Sonnen is the douche who made the bold bet.

If he can’t handle being called out he should shut up. I personally would like him to back his words but we know he won’t and this pouting baby act sure makes look worse than usual.

• MCM says:

I’m not Canadian so this is the first time I’ve seen this idiot, but I think BOTH came off poorly. Chael was right in saying that this guy was asking questions that have been answered on every other media site. And Landsberg was being confrontational and asking “Gotcha” questions. But Chael should have been able to handle it better. He could have steered the questioning toward something more appropriate or amusing, instead of pouting and storming off set.

• Lord Faust says:

The bulk of what Landsberg does is “gotcha” questions. He’s softer on some than others, but this is his schtick. If Sonnen’s all big on “getting your facts straight” maybe he should have done a cursory bit of research before agreeing to appear on the show.

In a way, I can’t blame Sonnen; I’d be mad as well, if someone wasn’t going to pander to my babbling nonsense.

• edub says:

“Chael was right in saying that this guy was asking questions that have been answered on every other media site. And Landsberg was being confrontational and asking “Gotcha” questions.”

What were the gotcha questions? What questions were ever answered seriously on any other website?

“Would you agree that your jiu-jitsu at that point was probably deficient?”; “No? So, how did you let a guy after you dominated him for four rounds submit you in the fifth round?”; “Right. And, if you fight him again… how do you prevent that from happening, the stumble?”

All of that is valid questioning of a guy who has made the bold statements Chael did IMO.

• MCM says:

edub:
    He started the questioning with “Now. 5 weeks latter. You’ve Backed down.” with an emphasis on Backed. 5 weeks is a long time in this sport. Chael had said the offer had expired on the Jim Rome Show almost a month before. From this question, he’s at least 4 weeks behind the rest of the MMA world.

This isn’t valid questioning, this is saying that he LET some one submit him. It insinuates that he gave up. Might as well ask Cain why he LET JDS knock him out or why Penn LET Diaz hit him so many times.
    All three of those questions you posted are asking Chael to say the he’s either deficient, a quitter, or incapable of learning. Those are all “Gotcha” questions.

• JOEgun says:

Chael talks nonsense all the time im kinda surprised he couldnt handle the questions better. Roid rage? Lol

• edub says:

Wrong.

They are gotcha questions if they are being presented to somebody who hasn’t made the same bold claims in the media for the past 6 months.

“Now. 5 weeks latter. You’ve Backed down.”

He’s exactly right. Chael might have explained it on Rome in a way that helped his side of the story, but in the end he never presented that time line after his trouncing of Brian Stann. So if he doesn’t offer Anderson that same scenario, he will have in fact “backed down”.

The “let” line isn’t a big deal. He could have easily said “So how did Anderson submit you after you dominated him for 5 rounds?” and people would still be calling it gotcha. Again, it’s a valid line of questions to somebody who has lost almost a fifth of his career fights by submission, and the last time he faced the spider who he claims over and over he dominated. Not to mention his open mocking of the art, and instructors who teach it.

The three questions, as have been pointed out elsewhere, were presented to Chael because he thought somebody of Chael’s talent could handle an interview; and if he did answer them maybe give some insight on what he’s changed in his style that will not have him losing to Anderson again by Submission. Tough questions have been asked of guys like Kos, Dana, and Mayhem in the past by the same interviewer, and were handled much better.

And none of this even gets too Sonnen’s little homophobic slur that he dropped also.

• Dufresne says:

Chael comes off as an even bigger ass than he normally does. Way to attack the interviewer instead of answering any of the questions. I read one of Chael’s interviews recently and he did sound like he was backing off the ultimatum he issued after the Stann fight. To not answer hardly any of the questions asked and to do it in that way makes him look so unprofessional it’s ridiculous.

Because in my country that created business…
    I’m an incredibly patriotic American, and even I think he’s being retarded.

It was painful watching Landsberg try to feed Chael slow pitch questions and having Chael run off on tangents that were completely unrelated to anything.

Landsberg -So you think you’re totally in control at this point?
    Sonnen -Control of what?
    WTF? Seriously Sonnen, you sound like you’ve been eating pills before the interview.

• FightFan313 says:

I fighter bash Chael “is missing a corner brick” Sonnen

• Sykotick says:

1st: FUCK!!!! Where is the damned thumbs up button when you need it?!?! JOEgun!! “Roid rage?”. FUCKIN PRICELESS!! Had me laughing like a moron at work, funny looks from the boss, lol

2nd: “having a black belt from the Noguiera brothers is like saying I got a free toy in my happy meal.”. Fuck you Chael if you can say something THAT DISRESPECTFUL, and then can’t answer a question like “why did you let him submit you?”
    Take your fuckin midol Chael and answer the fuckin questions.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

I laughed during this whole “interview”.
    It’s true,Landsberg can be a dickhead and try to push buttons by asking abnormal questions.
    After all,the show is called “OFF THE RECORD”, and that is part of his charm.
    He’s had many guests on his show that he kind of needles,like Chris Jericho or Jeremy Roenik, and they have this kind of tongue and cheek banter where they insult each other like busting balls,like they’re pals off the set kinda thing.
    The main part of his show is generally a live segment with 3-4 other guests sitting around a coffee table discussing sports issues….9 times out of 10 its about hockey or the CFL.(Yes my brothers, the Canadian Football League).(GO B.C.LIONS!!!)
    Based on the shows I’ve seen,he is a big fan of both Pro Wrestling and MMA.

Personally, it was great to watch him squirm and squirm some more during his talk with Sonnen.
    At the risk of sounding terrible,he has alot of nervous tics when he gets in awkward moments, and man, he was sweating bullets and doing the armchair Jitterbug while talking with Sonnen.

Now , although Sonnen is delusional when he refers to himself as the champ,I back him up 100…well at least 93% ,based on how this interview went.
    Sonnen broke Landsberg down with a verbal GnP that was true, righteous, and unforgiving, and only because Landsberg left himself open through lack of research,lack of wit, and plenty of ignorance.
    Man,even Landsberg couldn’t tell whether he was joking or not.
    Sonnen’s brilliance peaked when he said,” Next question..” which is an actual segment on the show.
    Sonnen was begging for a genuinely interesting question.
    Landsberg resorts to the only thing he has left in his bag o’ tricks – GSP.
    That’s when things break down.
    Watch the interview again…Landsberg has nothing left,other than,”Would you beat him ,if you fought him?”
    Sonnen responds with,”I would do my best.”
    No bullshit, no witty comebacks,just honesty.
    Rather than accept that and say okay, Landsberg decides to push it further by asking another dumb question.Man , I even shouted ,”IDIOT”, just before Sonnen took off his mic and left.

I will say I did laugh at the “Grease St.Pierre” comment,after which Sonnen admitted that GSP is one of the best.

Remember those times when yer trying to break up with yer crazy girlfriend(or boyfriend,for that matter) and you are trying to make sense of it to her and come clean and she(or he) just keeps ragging on you about petty bullshit,and you have no choice but to grab yer shit and walk out the door?
    Well that’s what this interview reminded me of.
    Sometimes ,you just gotta remove yer mic and leave.

Landsberg came across as a weak ass wannabe MMA no-it-all trying to be smarter than an actual MMA fighter, and as a result ended up looking like a smarmy smark who really didn’t put much thought into his ?’s.
    I score this round an easy 10-7 for Sonnen.

But mark my words, if I know Michael Landsberg, there will be a round 2, and hopefully it’ll be live.

• Screenplaya says:

Having seen both Landsberg and Sonnen many times in the past, I was surprised at how easily Sonnen out-douchbagged Landsberg. I bet Landsberg was surprised, too.

This Sonnen crap is getting played out. Put him in the ring with Munoz and let’s see if The Philipino Wreaking Machine can bust that ass’s jaw. Also, the winner of that fight would be an easier-to-sell challenger for Silva than any around today.

• Richard Stabone says:

Never seen that Landsberg guy before but, man, what a cheese ball.

Look, you know what you’re getting with Chael at this point. He’s not interested in breaking things down logically or offering reasonable explanations. He switched over to WWE-style promotion mode a while ago, in order to do whatever it takes to get a 2nd title shot at Anderson (and the huge payday that will come with it), and he’s just not going to break character. Not when he’s this damn close to getting his wish. Sure his act might be growing old, but plenty of people are still giving him attention. The rematch is his last chance to enjoy anything close to this type of limelight. Without Anderson Silva to talk about no one cares about Chael Sonnen, relatively speaking. I mean, before fighting Silva most casual fans didn’t know how to pronounce his first name. Literally. So he’s smart to recognize the small window to get paid and, whether I or anyone else respects it or not, he’s done a hell of a job positioning himself for what will be an enormous payday. That’s what it’s all about.

• marmalade_sally says:

I am astonished at how this is being taken so seriously! The whole interview was basically a work. Landsberg likes to create entertainment and goof around and Chael is the perfect guest to oblige. It’s more goofy hype by Sonnen. I actually thought that it was so easy to see through that it came across as pure wrestling cheese. Wow. Easy guys.