UFC 140 preview made available for viewing

With UFC 139 in the rear-view mirror, the world is now looking ahead to early December when UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones will defend his belt for a second time this year when he meets former UFC 205-pound champ Lyoto Machida in the main event of UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida. The card is set to take place from the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

“Bones” topped Quinton “Rampage” Jackson earlier this year after securing the belt from Mauricio “Shogun” Rua. Comparably, Machida defeated Randy Couture earlier this year after suffering losses to Jackson and Rua with the Rua bout costing him the divisional title.

In other action at UFC 140, Frank Mir and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira will meet in a battle of ex-UFC heavyweight champs, while Tito Ortiz will take on Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.

Here is the full UFC 140 preview:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Richard Stabone says:

Coming off this past weekend’s fantastic card, this one feels like a letdown waiting to happen. The title fight is going to have to carry it.

Tito… let’s just say I hope this is finally the end. He’s a waste of a main card slot, for my money.

Always a chance to be pleasantly surprised, but nothing jumps out from the rest of the matchups. Maybe Hallman will wear a thong?

• MCM says:

“Neither Mir nor Nog seem particularly relevant in the HW division at this stage of their careers, and I don’t see the 140 outcome changing that for either guy.”

With a win, Frank will be 4-1 since his title fight. That puts him right at the top of the HW division and one win away from another title shot. But I agree. Neither guy “feels” relevant anymore. Everyone is focused on JDS-Cain-Lesnar-Carwin and the imports from SF. I think this fight is important, but in a sport where fighter “buzz” often dictates ranking, it’s tough to feel like either of these guys are moving up with this fight.

I’m gonna disagree with you on Tito though. I find Ortiz entertaining and I think this is a very winnable fight for him. Tito is not Chuck or Wandy, he’s still competitive in his fights (‘cept the last one) and is incredibly hard to finish(….’cept the last one.)

• Richard Stabone says:

I’ve long thought Mir was overrated. Maybe things would’ve turned out differently had he not shredded his knee in the motorcycle accident, but owning a bike is a risk some pro athletes decide on their own to take. I will give him credit for the long rehab journey back, but since that time he seems to be one of those guys that has been on the right end of some pretty fortunate circumstances…

- The first Brock fight: Mir was getting smashed but, it being Brock’s UFC debut when he was completely clueless to the BJJ game, Frank was able to grab a hold of an ankle to escape. Add a win over Brock added to the resume.

- The interim title fight against Big Nog: Dealing with a staph infection leading up to the fight, Nog looked like a friggin zombie in the cage that night, making Frank look like an accomplished boxer/striker. And now Frank had a belt around his waist.

- Cro Cop fight: One of the worst MMA fights I’ve ever watched, although Frank did at least land the knee late in the fight to finish things. Tack on a win over Cro Cop to the resume.

- Roy Nelson fight: Similar to Nog, Roy spent time in the hospital due to illness leading up to the fight, and looked like horse crap on fight night. But add a win over Roy to further pad Frank’s resume.

Since 2009 Frank’s only impressive win was Kongo, a fellow gatekeeper. But I am glad to see Nog get a chance for a better showing against Frank, given how the first one went down. Neither has a chance against the top guys now.

And back to Tito — even though his only win since 2006 was over Bader, I can’t argue with your point that he’s been competitive along the way. I just think he’s a dinosaur in the MMA game, and the last time I really cared about a Tito fight was when he fought Lyoto. The rest since then I’ve had no desire to see his name on a main card. But I understand he’s still a relatively big draw, and he doesn’t embarrass himself in the cage, so I understand why he’s continued to get opportunities. I just hope Nog is able to finally put an end to Tito’s UFC run.

• edub says:

I gotta disagree with the sentiment on here. Nog’s last win was over a guy a lot of people had in their top ten, and he did it emphatically. Mir’s last 4 fights have been pretty dominant perormances, and the only fight that wasn’t entertaining was Cro Cop (which he would have won without the late knee).

The winner of that HW scrap will be one fight away from a title shot.

• Richard Stabone says:

I’d love it if Nog could still hang with the top competition but I just think those days are behind him. His win over Schaub was nice, but that dude is a prime example of how silly rankings often are. Schaub’s toughest 3 opponents (at the time he faced them) were gatekeeper level status — he lost two of them in KO fashion (Roy & Nog), and for the guy he beat (Gonzaga) it was his 3rd loss in 4 fights which sent him packing. (And no, beating Cro Cop circa 2011 is not impressive.)

I might be selling Nog short. If he can get & remain healthy, maybe he’s still got a run left in him. I hope he does; I just think being in his mid-30s with 40 pro fights it’s highly unlikely. Would love to be proven wrong on that one though.

Mir, on the other hand, I’m completely convinced is overrated, and has been for a long time. As I detailed in my previous post, the only thing he’s done since the motorcycle accident that I find legitimately impressive was taking out Kongo… who should probably face the winner of Mir/Nog.

• edub says:

As you detailed in your previous posts you make a bunch of excuses for guys that he’s beaten, but it still doesn’t take away the fact that he actually has those wins.

You also gotta remember it’s the HW division. Who is Mir overrated above? Nobody’s calling him a top 5 HW. He belongs right after that in a group Barnett, Werdum, Cormier, Nog, and Bigfoot (in whatever order; mine personally is 6. Werdum 7. Mir 8. Cormier 9. Nog 10. Barnett). To put him below guys like that (who one could make similar excuses for their big wins) is completely off base.

• Richard Stabone says:

What you’re calling excuses, I’d call explanations based in reality. Regardless of semantics, those Mir victories do not impress me.

Mir has been overrated for a while now. It peaked after his victories over Brock & Nog. Given the circumstances surrounding those fights it was not difficult to predict he’d be overmatched against guys like Brock (in a rematch where Brock didn’t dangle his leg in front of Frank) and Carwin. And after each of those guys smashed him it set Mir back down closer to where he belongs. So is he still overrated? Eh, not nearly to the extent he was in the past but if people are excited about his two most recent wins over Cro Cop and the wheezing Roy Nelson, then I’d say so.

• edub says:

The problem is you can make “explanations based in reality” for half the fights that happen in all of MMA. And you could do it even more than half the time in the HW division; Ex: Brock beat Carwin because he gassed, JDS beat Cain because he had too long of a layoff, Cain beat Brock because he was sick again, Mir beat Nog because of Staph, Carwin beat Mir because of borderline back of the head shots, etc. etc…

Mir might have been overrated after his win over Nog, but he is rated exactly where he should be now. Unless one were to have him in the top 5.

• Richard Stabone says:

Yes, there are a ton of variables with any fight that can be used to explain or make excuses for why one guy came out on top (or the other on the losing end). But when we’re talking about guys spending time in the hospital for injury/illness in the weeks leading up to a fight, to me those are extenuating circumstances that have to be taken into account to make a reasonable assessment.

Happy Thanksgiving, all… time to start the weekend.