Fedor Emelianenko’s people pushing for fight with Cain Velasquez

M-1 Global believes Fedor Emelianenko is back to his old self, as “The Last Emperor” recently earned a convincing victory over Jeff Monson in his native country of Russia. The win snapped a three-fight losing streak for Emelianenko, long considered the greatest heavyweight in MMA history.

Now, M-1 Global’s Vadim Finkelstein feels like there is a perfect fighter for Fedor to face in 2012 – former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez. Velasquez lost his belt to Junior dos Santos earlier this month at UFC on FOX 1: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos.

“We are determined to move forward, and would like to offer the UFC a fight between Cain Velasquez and Fedor Emelianenko,” said Finkelstein, in a recent interview with Russia’s Championat.ru. “I can guarantee Dana White great revenue from this fight, and a record-breaking attendance.”

As you can imagine, thanks to years and years of frustration in dealing with Emelianenko and his people, White was less than excited about the fight, posting on his Twitter, “Hell no!” in regards to Finkelstein’s request.

Dashing the hopes of dreamers everywhere, it appears that once again the notion of Emelianenko gracing the Octagon is still little more than wishful thinking.

PHOTO CREDIT – M1 GLOBAL/UFC

• Im with Dana on this one…You beat a guy who has been less than impressive and hasnt won a fight over a big name in years by decision and you want to fight one of the greatest HWs of the day? I’d love to see this fight just to watch Fedor get mauled. If Fedor comes to the UFC he shouldnt get anyone better than Roy or Kongo….just sayin.

• MCM says:

How can anyone not be with Dana. Fedor had a chance to fight in the UFC and he blew it. He’s 1-3 in his last four with all 3 losses coming by way of finish. Had that happened in the UFC, he might still be there.
    Today, Fedor is considered the greatest HW of the first decade of this century. With the way the UFC is expanding this sport, he’ll be all but forgotten by the end of this decade.

• Lord Faust says:

Why does the UFC need Fedor when they have Hendo….

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Cain would murder Fedor at this point. Cain got caught with a perfect punch behind the ear and anyone would have went down. Cain is younger, hungrier, and better trained. Fedor and M-1 need to face that Fedor is irrelevant. He needs to stick to fighting cans in Russia.

I don’t think there is anything Fedor and M-1 could do short of PAYING UFC that would get him a shot. Even then I’m not sure there is enough money.

• Lord Faust says:

Dana might backtrack on a lot of things, but I feel confident saying that he’ll never work with M-1 in this reality. Especially at this point; he doesn’t need them, and will have no qualms about proving it.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Oh My God. Listen to you guys ” Im with Dana”. What a bunch of nuthuggers. Im NOT with Dana cuz I would like to see the fight. Why? Cuz I like MMA. Why do you guys not want it? I mean WHY THE FUK, AS A NON NUTTHUGGER, WOULD YOU NOT WANT TO SEE THIS FIGHT? I dont understand “fans” like that.
    Mad hats my old chum, the only guy Carwin has fought and beaten that wasnt a can was Mir, cuz if you consider Monson a can then Gonzaga is. The UFC is full of guys that are a lot worse than Fedor. I mean Nelson is a UFC top 10 HW prolly and he beat his first top 25 guy ever not long ago and that was a guy that was so past his best it is sad. Fedor beat him in his prime. If Fedor fought in the UFC we as fans would win. You guys make sure you look out for Dana though wont you.
    MCM Fedor had a chance but blew it? WTF are you banging on about? He blew nothing, he has always offered to fight UFC champions and fighters, the UFC has always said no. They even tried to organize a fight between Couture and Fedor before the UFC took legal action. This is not becuz Fedor blew it buddy, cuz when Fedor was #1 the UFC still refused. But Im sure you would hate to see Fedor fight Cain, right? Wouldnt that be horrible.
    To say Fedor doesnt deserve to be in the UFC is false. Barry has lost 4 from 6 and Nelson 4 from 7. Fedor just beat a guy with victories over Kharitonov, Nelson,Rodreguiez and Fulton and a world grappling champ. You guys just make sure Dana is OK though. If Fedor goes to the UFC for 1 fight, I would love it to be against Mir, Cain or Lesnar.

• Sykotick says:

Logic, GET OVER IT!!!! Fedor is past it,
    Yes, Barry and nelson are 2-4 and 3-4 respectively. Difference is THE ARE IN THE UFC, NOT TRYING TO GET IN!!!
    For fucks sake, by your “logic” let’s get Royce Gracie in there against GSP, after all, he was the greatest digger ever!!!
    Yes, Monson beat a lot of good people, HOW LONG AGO?!?!
    So if someone beat tito ortiz, that makes them a Badass cuz tito was a beast way the fuck back when?!?!
    Yes, I’m siding with Dana, cuz so far, he is doing everything he can to bring up the name of MMA, not leeching off of up and coming MMA promotions like say, M-1.
    “He’s not looking to further MMA, he is looking to further the UFC!” Yeah, but guess what the UFC is. An MMA promotion so to further his business, he is furthering the sport.
    Dana nuthuggers?! Better then to be swinging off of a declining fighter’s nuts.
    I’d rather be on the nuts of a person furthering the sport, than a fighter who is obviously just trying to garner attention by calling out people he is never going to get a shot at. Not cuz he is bad but because he is 1-3 in his last 4, and has a shit ton of baggage.
    You can whine all you want about being pro MMA when you’re not. You’re anti UFC, not pro MMA.

• hindsightufuk says:

guess i’m with Logic, i wanna see the fight, could give a fuck who is ranked where, whether it makes sense or not, fuck it, its a fight and i’d love to see it.
    that said i dont see it coming to fruition

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Here we go again. Sucking sooo hard. M1 offers to co promote.How is that leeching? They say if you want Fedor you have to pay this. They dont have to say yes, they can tell m1 to fuk off. It is a biz agreement and nobody is forced. God! The UFC leeches off all of its fighters by forcing them to hand over rights to their likeness etc. Fedor isnt trying to get in either, he never has been. Why does it bother you? Cuz you suck nutz. Tell me, did you agree with Dana when he dropped Hendo? Were you one of the clowns that said Diaz couldnt hack it in the UFC. Why? Cuz you suck nutz. Its not becuz you care about MMA like you try to say, its cuz you are a UFC mark. You dont want this fight, cuz you suck nutz. I defend Fedor cuz it annoys me that people are so easily led by a guy like White. It makes me angry that guys like you cant think for themselves. Dude try to think for yourself, instead of letting the taste of those nutz influence you.

• Lord Faust says:

Dude, you need to chill. The only person who seems personally invested in this is you; to the point where tea-bagging metaphors apparently have become punctuation marks for you.

It has nothing to do with Dana White mind controlling anyone. It’s just fact; Fedor isn’t worth the price-tag and baggage that comes attached to him. Dana has no use for a deflated former champion whose mystique has vanished.

Why would Dana co-promote with a bunch of sketchy Russian businessmen who have bled the coffers of Strikeforce and Affliction dry, giving neither organisation anything in return.

I could go on and on, but it’s the same reasoning that has been provided before; reasoning that apparently translates to “nut-hugging” in your world. The reasons the UFC doesn’t need — nor will they pursue — Fedor are well documented and obvious if you approach the situation objectively.

I’m done responding to you, as your ability to make an argument is laughable — all you’ve done is try and turn your illogical worship of Fedor into some kind of fact that should be debated. Backing up personal opinion with insults is proof you have nothing to back up your statements except misguided anger.

Have a good day.

• hindsightufuk says:

goddamn it Leroy

• danw84 says:

I don’t get why people wouldn’t want to see this fight. The only fight ever that Fedor wasn’t really competitive in was against Bigfoot. That’s it.

Why would you not want to see this? I don’t get it.

Who else should Cain fight? Rematch with Brock? Rematch with JDS? Rematch with Kongo? Rematch with Nog? I mean it makes no sense. “NOPE I DON’T WANNA SEE THAT FIGHT NO WAY.”

I really don’t get it.

• danw84 says:

I agree with the ideas that the UFC in no way should bend over for him, but if he was to be able to come in as anyone else would, why would you be against this fight?

• climbarock says:

I understand DW and the UFC saying Hell No to this cross promotional bullshit M-1 is proposing (again and again). But I’d still love to see Fedor in the UFC…to hell with his recent losing streak, who really cares? I like good fights, and Fedor is a damn exciting fighter.

• edub says:

Let’s get some things straight:

-If the UFC wants to co-promote with somebody, it’s not going to be M-1. M-1 brings little to the table in terms of parties having what would be a symbiotic relationship. They have one fighter that could be considered a “draw” and that’s Fedor. However, he lost three straight (the last being a KO to a LHW fighter). So, he holds little value entering a fight with a guy still seen as a top 5 HW in the world. Other than Fedor M-1 offers nothing. Their LHW champion doesn’t even want to fight for them anymore. How bout an inter promotional fight with Gugenishvili, Vadim?

-IMO Fedor would have a decent chance against Cain early on. Cain has only been hit flush on a few occasions in his career, but he was rocked on pretty much all of them. Fedor still has good power, with decent speed for a HW. Cain would have to be very careful early. We still don’t know how much that JDS KO had to do with the layoff, compared to how hard of a punch Cain can withstand.

-M-1 is offering to co-promote a fight with the #1 promoter in MMA (something Zuffa hasn’t done since they were burned by PRIDE back in the middle of last decade). Their fighter that they are pitching is 1-3 in his last four fights, and the opponent they seeking is the defacto #2 HW in the world. M-1 is certainly looking to hitch their proverbial wagons to the Zuffa train, and if that isn’t leeching its very close. Again, Zuffa has basically nothing to gain from this co-promtion.

-Would I watch it, of course I would. Mostly, for the reasons I described in the second paragraph. However, there are many other fighters I would rather see Cain in against that are under the Zuffa banner (and ones that aren’t): Brock (rematch), Carwin, Overeem, Mir, Nog (rematch), Kongo (rematch), Struve, Browne, Konrad, Barnett, Big Foot, and Cormier (not happening). The match with Konrad would be quite appetizing to wrestling fans, because of the two losses Konrad gave Cain in their final four pairing in 2006 and 2007.

As “hardcore” fans we have to remember that “casual” fans think very differently than we do. All they would see this fight as would be a faded legend that just got KO’d by a LHW vs. one of the best HW’s in the world. Whether that being an apt comparison is a point of debate, but its the reality for most who don’t follow the sport as slosely as we do.

• hindsightufuk says:

Guram Gugenishvili is a fucking beast, now HE needs to get in on some US action. Bellator if UFC dont grab him

• Thank you edub for making all the points I wanted to make.
    To add to that I dont see how having an opinion that agrees with a guy you dont like doesnt make me a nuthugger it makes you a hater…and I hate that term. yes Dana’s primary goal is to further the UFC’s business moreso than the sport of mma but in the end doesnt that further the sport of MMA even further?
    Like Edub said Fedor by casual fans is a washup who’s lost 3 of his last four against lesser competition (Bigfoot isnt overly impressive, Hendo is a LHW, and Werdum is a great fighter but this is the guy that got sent packing by JDS years ago…once again a casual fans view)
    Then he beats the Jake Shields of the HW division by a decision without ever doing anything overly cool or impressive. He’s not marketable against Cain.
    And where do you get your stats that Roy is 3-4 in the UFC…last I checked he was 3-2 with the two coming to decision by a former HW champion and the current HW champion and in both fights he was at least fairly competitive. His 3 UFC victories are alll by finish.
    Finally I’d like to see Fedor come to the UFC but I dont think against Cain would be marketable…not without putting him against a Roy, Struve, Brown or someone else first to build the draw.
    If Fedor had trouble with Bigfoot or Hendo….Cain would be his worst nightmare.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I guess I am confused. I don’t remember anyone saying they WOULDN’T watch the fight but, most people thinking UFC would be out of their mind insane to work with M-1 to procure services of Fedor.

I would watch Cain v. Fedor if it was on I just don’t think it ever will be.

I am not some mindless follower of Dana and I do not think everything he does/says is gospel.
    Until Strikeforce I had only seen 1 Fedor fight and it was against Hong Man Choi.

I did not have a concrete opinion of Fedor but, he really did not display the skills I would think one would need to display to be considered an elite fighter in the HW division.

Who said anything about Shane Carwin? He is more overrated than Fedor.

It is surprising that people saying there is no way or reason UFC should co-promote with M-1 just for Fedor caused so much vitriol MMA-Logic.

It’s like this: You have a commodity that someone wants. Someone offers you another commodity you are not interested in and generously offers to take 50% of the money you would have earned by using the commodity that you did not want in the first place because, you would be able to earn more money with out the other persons commodity. That is just bad business. That is what the whole Fedor/M-1/UFC situation boils down to.

• Lord Faust says:

I think everyone here would watch that fight, no question. The question was “would the UFC take this offer”; the answer to that is, as quoted, “fuck no”.

I took that understanding as a given, apparently I was wrong.

• Madmax says:

Vadim is just a real scummy guy, probably a part of the Russian Mob. NOW, he expects DW to deal with him after all the crappy stuff he’s done in the past. Dana wont EVER deal with Vadim, nor should he.

M-1 is a joke, and so is feedor.

He beats up Monson,,,,BIG DEAL, so what, like Monson is Top 5 in the world or something.

Cain would truly DESTROY feedor.

But it will NEVER happen as long as Scumbag Vadim is part of ANY deal.

IMHO