Quinton Jackson fighting Ryan Bader at UFC 144

After a good deal of public lobbying, plus some vocal displeasure in being left out of the lineup, it appears Quinton Jackson will get his wish after all and fight on February 26 when the UFC returns to the Land of the Rising Sun after a decade-long absence for UFC 144.

Though “Rampage” had originally requested Mauricio Rua or Forrest Griffin, and Stephan Bonnar made it a point to mention a possible match-up with Jackson at the event, the 33-year old will instead face Ultimate Fighter Season 8 winner Ryan Bader inside the familiar confines of Saitama Super Arena.

News of the bout was first reported by ESPN who cited UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta as the source.

Bader is fresh off an opening round knockout of Jason Brilz from UFC 139 and holds an overall record of 13-2 including past wins over Keith Jardine and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. Though an accomplished amateur wrestler, “Darth” Bader often turns to the darkside in terms of finishing opponents off with nine of his victories involving some form of stoppage.

The 32-9 Jackson wasn’t quite as fortunate in his last outing, tapping to divisional champion Jon Jones’ Rear-Naked Choke in their title-fight at UFC 135. “Rampage” made a name for himself in MMA during an earlier run in Japan as part of the PRIDE organization before transitioning to the UFC where he’s found success in bouts against Chuck Liddell, Lyoto Machida, and Dan Henderson.

UFC 144 is headlined by Frankie Edgar putting his lightweight belt on the line against Ben Henderson with other expected pairings including Yushin Okami vs. Tim Boetsch, Anthony Pettis vs. Joe Lauzon, and Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Jake Shields.

PHOTO CREDIT – FEG/UFC

• hindsightufuk says:

i cant think of many more pointless fights than this. Rampage clearly isnt gonna fight too many more times, why waste him on Bader? lets see him fight Shogun again, Rashad, Hendo, Tito, Nog, Griffin, Mo, Thiago Silva, fuck even Bonnar, but not Ryan fucking Bader

• danw84 says:

I’m a Bader fan, but I completely agree. I have no idea why they would put this fight together at all.

• Hinsight you had me till you sad Mo…take King mo out of that lineup and I agree with you entirely….this is a stupid fight…but eh…maybe it’ll be good….when Darth tastes the canvas.

• MCM says:

My guess is they’re putting this fight together cause they want Rampage to get a win in Japan, but they can’t just feed him a can. Much like the first UFC Brazil card.
    Personally, i think Bader can take this fight. Rampage has great take down defense, but Bader has amazing take downs. Rampage may have slightly better technical boxing, but I’d give the edge in power to Ryan. I actually think Bader is a younger, better version of Rampage. But I’ll always root against Rampage so take that assessment with a grain of saltl.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Rampage was whining about wrestlers taking him down and being afraid to stand and bang and now he fights a very good wrestler.

If he wanted someone who will stand and throw hands till someone takes a nap then he should have fought Bonner.

Bonner has an iron chin and would stand and bang all night. Maybe this will be a good fight, I’m just not understanding the logic

• hindsightufuk says:

every time someone mentions iron chin these days all i can see is Michael Chandler in the third round getting his arse handed to him and not hitting the floor. fuck that was an awesome fight

• That was an awesome fight Hindsight….
    MCM seriously? Ryan Bader is a better version of rampage? more power? WTF man how much turkey did you consume yesterday its made you senile! Rampage is a better boxer, more power and a much better chin…Ryans goin to sleep. If he couldnt take a right from Tito…either of Rampages hands will make him scared to step in a ring again.

• MCM says:

Like I said, I dislike Rampage so take it for what you will. But the Rampage that is fighting today isn’t the Rampage that fought in Pride.
    Who has Rampage KO’d in the UFC? Chuck? Sure it was amazing at the time, but it has since been proven that Chuck no longer had a chin. Wandy? Everybody KO’s Wandy these days (cept Le), that’s not near the accomplishment is used to be either. How ’bout knocking out Jardine or Forrest, two very KO-able fighters? Nope, he took both those guys to a decision, and lost one of them. But Bader knocked out Jardine.
    Look, I’m unashamedly biased against Rampage. Do I think he is capable of beating Bader? Sure. But I feel that just like those fighters that things just seem to go wrong for, not cause they’re worse than the other guy, the cards just fall that way (Cro Cop, Wandy, Kampmann, etc.), I think things just go right for Rampage, not because he’s better, the cards just fall that way.

• stone says:

I think Bader wins this fight…. All Rampage does is box.