Georges St. Pierre not phased by Nick Diaz’s trash-talking

Moments after Nick Diaz defeated B.J. Penn at UFC 137 he made it a point to call welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre out, questioning whether or not his knee had actually been hurt to the point it prevented him from fighting on the same night. Within an hour of Diaz’s rant the UFC handed him a title-shot while citing St. Pierre’s anger at the comments.

However, to hear GSP tell his side of the story, it looks like Diaz’s challenge didn’t get under his skin at all and that he actually preferred to fight the former Strikeforce star all along.

“I’m very happy to fight him,” St. Pierre stated in an interview with QMI. “It’s always been the fight I’ve wanted to have. They only thing is he did not show up at the press conference…so the fight got cancelled – not because of me, but because of him and what he had done. But me, I wanted to fight him. He wanted to have a title fight and he got it. (Talking trash) the best way to do it and it’s not personal.”

Drawing criticism from his opponents whether directed at him as a person or fighter is nothing new to “Rush” who dealt with similar smack during the build for bouts against Matt Serra, Josh Koscheck, and a handful of other competitors the 22-2 St. Pierre went on to successfully defeat inside the Octagon.

“I’ve seen it all from everyone before. If they’re trying to get into my head and make me fight a bad fight, it’s just mind games and it doesn’t work,” St. Pierre explained before adding in that much of what people say to him gets lost in translation. “I don’t even understand (or) speak English very well. I don’t understand most of the things that (Diaz) says when he trash-talks. I don’t really care.”

In fact, St. Pierre says he has a far more worthwhile goal to direct his attention to rather than buy into Diaz’s hate.

“I’m just going to focus on hurting him,” the 30-year old concluded. Given the fact GSP’s workout program constantly keeps him in tremendous shape, as well as the notion the French-Canadian champ seems to perform at an ever higher level when motivated by his opponent’s behavior, it seems Diaz may want to quit while he’s ahead and work on training rather than trying to fire St. Pierre up.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

The WW division needs a change at the top-Here’s to Nick Diaz bringing the belt back to the states

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Where was the “I don’t speak English” bullshit during the TUF filming or the build-up to Koscheck fight?

I think Diaz IS bothering GSP but, he is trying to play it off and act all cool.

Koscheck, Shields, Hardy all of them were in awe of GSP and were psyched out by his mystique and let GSP fight his fight and easily win.

Diaz won’t quit coming forward and isn’t afraid to take a punch or go to the ground. I think Diaz proves too much for GSP and takes his title.

• Lord Faust says:

I think what he meant to say is he misses the nuances of the language. It’s not hard to read body language or obvious insults.

• Nick’s not the easiest guy to understand as it stands…I do think his trash talk is botherin GSP and he said he’d rather fight condit so he’s just advertising the fight…Diaz is gonna push him to the limit

• twodragunns says:

GSP will beat Diaz and do it rather handily due to the much higher skill level possessed by the Canadian. Never mind that statement about bringing the belt back the states stuff ……. Diaz won’t ever wear UFC gold in his career due to his skill level in all aspects of the sport. Diaz has holes in his game such as weak wrestling and he simply takes way too much damage in his fights, thus shortening his career. He does have good stand up, but will be out matched by GSP in the stand up as well. I’m taking bets of all kinds and GSP is the man for now and as long as he cares to be.

• MCM says:

agreed twodragunns. GSP all the way.

On the side….I don’t get the idea that we can’t have dominant champions in MMA. It seems like everyone is always hoping the next challenger is gonna dethrone the current champ. GSP gets it, Silva gets it, Edgar gets it. Any champion that has shown an ability to reign seems to lose fan respect the more they defend their title. This doesn’t happen in other sports and I find it odd.
    I’m not saying there aren’t those on this board and in the MMA community that don’t honestly think Diaz is capable of wining the belt, I’m just saying the more an MMA champ remains champ, the more people want to see him lose.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I know every time a new challenger comes around people jump on their bandwagon and say they will dethrone the champ for a variety of reasons.

Call me stupid but, I really think Diaz has the skill set to beat GSP. I really hope so at least. I’m not really a GSP fan. Too perfect, too vanilla for me. No knock on his athletic ability or MMA skills just can’t get excited about him.

IF GSP gets by Diaz then there is nothing left at 170 for him. I don’t think Condit will get by Kos so there would not really be any reason to have Condit get a title shot after a loss.

Think Diaz with his superior boxing and ability to fight off his back and get back to his feet will wear GSP down. GSP has never been in a real war. Sure he always goes 5 rounds but, how often was the outcome ever in doubt past round 1? Never. Diaz will be on him like no one else has done and I don’t think GSP is ready to not be in control of a fight the entire time. Not prepared to fight from behind and be busted up while having to do it.

Diaz by TKO round 5.

I think Diaz will make GSP fight raw and not his usual systematic game plan style…
    Diaz is NOT the man to beat GSP… BUT he is the man to make GSP let go and be loose and fight like he hasn’t had to fight which in my opinion may be more trouble and more dangerous for Diaz then the reserved and game plan driven GSP.

I think we see GSP like we haven’t seen him in a long time… GSP will truely be fighting to FINISH the fight. I think it’s going to be crazy watching GSP fight with a lil aggression.

• Niv says:

Well I’m one of those that believes that Diaz is a great fighter that could possibly beat GSP, but at this point I find it very unlikely. I expect Diaz to really push the pace and force GSP to fight outside his usal rythm as well, but that will only lead to Diaz being stopped at some point, in my opinion.

This should be a great fight, and hopefully the belt will remain in Canada. Sorry as a Canadian I couldn’t resist.

• Angry Mike says:

Diaz is talented, and his dominating win over BJ surprised me. He has the ability to win, but I don’t have it in me to root for him and against GSP. Diaz comes off like a knuckle dragging goon, and GSP is nothing but class.