Chris Leben fails UFC 138 drug test, suspended for one year

It hasn’t been a good month for UFC middleweight Chris Leben. The Ultimate Fighter alumni was knocked out of title contention at UFC 138 with a loss to Mark Munoz and today the company announced that Leben has been suspended for a year following testing positive for Oxycodone and Oxymorphone after the bout. With the event taking place in England, UFC officials handled the drug testing independently.

Speaking to UFC.com, president Dana White said, “I like Chris and I want him to do well, but based on his actions, he’s been suspended for one year,” UFC President Dana White said. “If he needs professional help, we are going to be there for him. We want to see him succeed not only in the Octagon, but in his personal life.”

Leben also released a statement via the organizations website saying, “I would like to make it known that I fully accept this suspension and apologize for embarrassing the UFC, my friends and family, and sport of mixed martial arts. I’m learning that I’m my own worst enemy sometimes. I can’t succeed in the Octagon or in life behaving this way. I’ve got to make some real changes over the next year and I’m going to focus on getting my life and career back on track. Again, I’m sorry to the UFC and fans that’ve supported me since my days on The Ultimate Fighter.”

This marks the second time Leben has been suspended after failing a drug test in England. The first came back in October 2008 when he tested positive for Stanozolol in his loss against Michael Bisping. He was held out of action for nine months and fined 1/3 of his fight purse for that offense.

All other 19 competitors drug tested from the November 5th event passed.

*PHOTO CREDIT – UFC*

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Get better Leben-Maybe switch camps-ATT in Florida?-Lots of sun and a host of good training partners

• Angry Mike says:

I assume that there’s no “performance enhancing” qualities from the substances. I hope he gets on top of this. I know a few people who can’t, and it’s a lousy way to live.

• fitfreak says:

” I’ve got to make some real changes over the next year and I’m going to focus on getting my life and career back on track.”

Deja vu. Hopefully he means it this time.

Mike, one could argue that numbing pain is a performance enhancement in a combat sport.

• Sykotick says:

Angry Mike.
    They are pain killers, I believe opiate based

• fitfreak says:

It’s essentially heroin in a pill.

• edub says:

“It’s essentially heroin in a pill.”

Exactly. Makes the way he came into the building, and how he fought understandable.

He took sole responsibility for everything, but I tend to think that maybe there was a bigger injury that covered up here.

• JOEgun says:

Damn Leben. It sucks when one of my favorite fighters keeps fuckin up. Now we gotta wait a year to see him back in action. Lame. Cant he just smoke weed like everyone else? :p

• edub says:

He’d get suspended for that too JOE.

• Dufresne says:

Damnit. Leben is one of my personal favorite fighters, but between this, the previous suspension for roids, and the DUI back in ’08 he’s got me worried. Too many fighters, and too many people in general, get caught up in addictions and self destructive behaviors and I don’t want to see him go the route of Karo Parisyan, Paulo Filho, and Ricco Rodriguez.

Both oxycodone and oxymorphone are both listed as Schedule II Controlled substances, which is the highest schedule ranking you can get before you end up in the illicit drugs. I’ve yet to prescribe either to any of my patients including after multiple extractions. Hopefully whatever injury he had that he was prescribed something that powerful is healing up.

But to be honest I can’t imagine a physician prescribing both meds at the same time as they’re very closely related drugs, have pretty much the same effects, and can lead to overdose relatively easily when combined. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think he got them the legal way.

• MCM says:

I know this would get a ton of thumbs down if the feature was still up (hint hint), but I just can’t feel bad for the guy. Nothing he’s done has indicated anything more than poor judgment and low self esteem. He’s an entertaining fighter and might be a nice guy, but if he doesn’t give a crap about himself, why should I?

• qat says:

Just sad.. hope he (re)gains control of his life, and that he has other anchors than his mma-career, cause that wont last forever anyway.

• madheartmma says:

It’s an opioid+other compounds in a pill. NOT like heroin. Whole different chemical structure. He definetly should get to a different camp tho, change it up. The friends you make in MMA, are like no other. He should have plenty of great support/team-mates to help him through this. He’s a tough dude.

• hindsightufuk says:

yeah those pills really, really arent like taking heroin, trust me.
    they are however, damned fined pain killers!

• JBAR says:

Thumbs up MCM. :)

That note Leben left at the hotel desk for Munoz thanking him ( I think there was a drawing of a penis on it) and the candy bar was a bit bizzare BUT now it’s a lil less bizzare after learning the guy was probably in a pill haze.

P.S. I was a big fan of Leben and always wanted to see him get bigger and better fights BUT he keeps doing dumb shit repeatedly so I I’ll root for his personal recovery BUT I think I’m done rooting for his mma career.

• fitfreak says:

That’s what they said on a documentary I watched on this stuff. Maybe that was a bit of sensationalism. Maybe they meant in regards to similar effects, addiction, withdrawal, etc. Someone with an addictive personality doesn’t ever need to go down that road to begin with. Hopefully he can pull through this.

• DAMN IT…Im with MCM I cant feel bad for the guy. Leben was sober, had found his way and then got his DUI. this is another example of him screwin himself and his fans out of performances and paychecks. This does explain why chris was so lackluster in that fight and that makes me all the more angry. The guy has a lifelong membership to the UFC no matter how he performs(and this suspension proves it) something less than 10 other fighters can claim and yet he keeps blowing it.

“Maybe Dana should let chris go fight somewhere else for awhile so he can be reminded of how good he really has it.”

Sadly this is what a true punishment would be.