UFC confirms Chael Sonnen vs. Mark Munoz for UFC on FOX 2

It looks like Chael Sonnen was up to his old tricks last week when he said that he had no fight scheduled with Mark Munoz. In a press release sent out by the UFC, the company confirmed that Sonnen vs. Munoz is indeed on and it will be the co-main event of UFC on FOX 2 in January.

Originally hoping for another crack at Anderson Silva and the middleweight title following his victory over Brian Stann at UFC 136, Sonnen will need to win at least one more bout before he has the chance to go five rounds with the champ again. After being away from the action for over a year due to a drug suspension following his first fight with Silva, the Oregon native reminded the MMA world that he can back up his mouth with his skills as he dominated Stann with his wrestling in the first round and then submitted the former Marine with an arm triangle choke in the second round. Never one to shy away from the microphone, Sonnen challenged Silva in his post-fight interview, wanting to fight him on Super Bowl weekend in a “loser leaves town” bout.

With “The Spider” being sidelined due to an injury, Sonnen will have to go through one of the champ’s former sparring partners and another man who called out the middleweight king in his last bout. Winner of four straight bouts, Munoz turned in his most impressive performance to date at UFC 138 when he stopped Chris Leben at the end of the second round with an onslaught of ground and pound. Along with Leben, Munoz has defeated Demain Maia, C.B. Dollaway, and Aaron Simpson during his win streak.

The winner of the bout will most likely challenge Silva for the middleweight strap in mid-2012.

UFC on FOX 2 is scheduled for January 28 at the United Center in Chicago, Illinois. The night will be headlined by another #1 contender’s bout as former champion Rashad Evans takes on the undefeated Phil Davis in a light heavyweight showdown.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Hohlraum says:

As much as I like Munoz, I think he is heading for a loss.

• Angry Mike says:

They are both awesome wrestlers, but I have to give the edge to Sonnen. I think he would drive his head through a wall to get a win.

• Sweet. This is the fight I think should happen. Munoz is on a hot streak, Sonnen is the most interesting challenger for Silva but only has one fight since losing to him and The champ is still injured. Sonnen is faster and has way better striking, but Munoz has that donkey kong power and wrestles just as well as Chael. This is interesting for sure, Go Munoz!

• FightFan313 says:

Yes Yes Yes! donkey kong all fight long.. War Munoz!! Smash sonen again. I spell sonens name wrong out of disrespect.

• stone says:

Easy win for Chael…. Word is, Chael wants to stay busy. He was calling out Vitor but, Vitor didn’t want no part of it. Maybe, Vitor vs Bisping.

• stone says:

I cant open that bleach report w/o downloading an app and yada yada yada…. I saw Chael call him out on some video a while back. I really don’t see Vitor or Bisping beating Chael…that’s just being straight up…. Silva vs Sonnen 2 is what we really all want and its fucked up we gotta wait til like the middle of 2012 IF we’re lucky…. I heard somewhere else that Silva called out Sonnen for the next Brazil card. Who knows?!! No matter what, Silva should fight Chael & only Chael next

• stone says:

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I think Sonnen would destroy belfort. I like Vitor but that is a bad match up for him.

• I think Sonnen would mess Vitor’s life up….Chael is a faster Randy and Randy owned Vitor twice. I would rather see Bisping take on Chael than the phenom just due to his hard work rate and ability to scramble.
    I dont think Anderson should fight Chael and Chael only…all the variables(Silvas injury, chael’s testosterone levels, etc etc.) should certainly make chael have to wait his turn in line whether he’s the most interesting challenge or not. He was beaten now we needs to work his way back. Munoz has the current best streak at MW and he’s got the best skill set to deal with Sonnen. If Sonnen starts losing the takedown battles he’ll have to work hard to stick and move because even his great chin probably cant stand up to the King Kong right hand.