Jones chokes out Machida to remain champion, brutal finishes a plenty at UFC 140

The cold winter night in Toronto will be warmed by the Octagon’s offerings at UFC 140, an event featuring a number of UFC champions, some past and one present, as well as a solid dose of Canadians ready to be cheered on by their countrymen in attendance.

The show is headlined by sensational light heavyweight title-holder Jon Jones defending his divisional gold against former 205-pound king Lyoto Machida with other main card match-ups including Tito Ortiz vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Frank Mir vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

As always, Five Ounces of Pain will be glued to the screen throughout and relaying live results back to readers including play-by-play of PPV bouts. Action starts on Facebook at 5:45 PM EST before heading over to ION TV at 7:00 PM EST and then PPV two hours later.

Read below for a full list of UFC 140 results:

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook.com)

John Cholish def. Mitch Clarke via TKO Round 2 (Strikes)
Jake Hecht def. Rich Attonito via TKO Round 2 (Strikes)
Mark Bocek def. Nik Lentz via Unanimous Decision

PRELIMINARY CARD (ION TV)

Yves Jabouin vs. Walel Watson

Round One: These two came out throwing immediately and landed some good punches. Both men were landing some good strikes on the feet early, although Jabouin landed the most significant strike, right hook after Watson missed with a spinning back fist. Jabouin got a takedown but did nothing with it. Some good exchanges after they got back on the feet but neither man really established anything. Good round of action with a slight edge to Jabouin based on cleaner strikes and the takedown. 10-9 to Jabouin.

Round Two: Watson did a better job using his reach in this round, imploring a lot of kicks and getting out of the way before Jabouin could counter. Jabouin did a nice job closing the distance with his kicks though. The pace slowed down until Jabouin landed a good spinning back fist and then got a takedown. Watson grabbed a guillotine with just 10 seconds remaining though and almost finished it but Jabouin popped his head out at the last second. Even though Jabouin got the takedown, Watson came close with the submission and won the battle on the feet so I’m giving him the round 10-9.

Round Three: A lot of swinging and missing to start round three, which led to a smattering of boos from the crowd. Watson continued to do a nice job using his reach advantage to keep Jabouin at bay while Jabouin continued to use leg kicks to score points. Jabouin landed with another spinning back fist and got a takedown but Watson scrambled and got on top. Watson moved to half guard and locked up a d’arce choke but couldn’t finish it as Jabouin was able to spin out. Good exchange to end the fight won by Jabouin but it wasn’t quite enough in my book as I think Watson took the round 10-9 and the fight 29-28. Close and competitive fight though.

Result: Yves Jabouin def. Walel Watson via Split Decision

John Makdessi vs. Dennis Hallman

Round One: Hallman immediately went for a takedown and despite the fence grabbing of Makdessi, he eventually got it. Hallman got the back, flattened him out, pounded on him. Makdessi survived and gave up mount but continued to eat elbows and punches. Makdessi again gave up his back and Hallman choked him out with a rear naked choke. Dominant performance by Hallman.

Result: Dennis Hallman def. John Makdessi via Submission Round 1 (Rear Naked Choke)

Jared Hamman vs. Constantinos Philippou

Round One: Philippou stuffed a takedown and landed a good combo that snapped the head of Hamman back. Hamman really looking for the leg kicks on the feet. Philippou countered a leg kick with a left followed by a right that dropped Hamman. Hamman got up and Philippou dropped him again with a right and nearly finished him with a rear naked choke but Hamman got out and up. Philippou landed a couple more big right hands that put Hamman down. Hamman survived again but Philippou kept punching him, put him down again, and the referee mercifully stopped things. Great performance by Philippou.

Result: Constantinos Philippou def. Jared Hamman via KO Round 1 (Strikes)

Igor Pokrajac vs. Krzysztof Soszynski

Round One: Both men came out swinging. Soszynski landed some good shots but Pokrajac came right back, rocked Soszynski, and then followed it up with a flurry of punches that put Soszynski down and out. Scary stuff from Pokrajac.

Result: Igor Pokrajac def. Krzysztof Soszynski via KO Round 1 (Strikes)

MAIN CARD (PPV)

Mark Hominickvs. Chan Sung Jung

Round One: Hominick threw a strike, Jung slipped the strike, caught him with a right that dropped him, and then pounded him out on the ground before the ref jumped in. Very quick and surprising fight. Lasted only 7 seconds.

Result: Chan Sung Jung def. Mark Hominick via KO Round 1 (Strikes)

Brian Ebersole vs. Claude Patrick

Round One: Slow start to the round with a lot of clinching. Patrick tries a guillotine and it looks tight but Ebersole eventually works his way out and stays on top. Patrick gets up to his feet without taking any damage though. Ebersole lands some good strikes before once again initiating the clinch and controlling Patrick against the cage. Patrick turns things around as the round ends. Close round and not terribly exciting but I’ll give the edge to Ebersole based on clinch control and damage. 10-9 for Ebersole.

Round Two: Patrick landed some good shots early but Ebersole kept pressing forward and looking for the takedown. Patrick remained on his feet though and landed some short punches and knees in the clinch. Ebersole did a nice job landing elbows on the clinch break, but that’s about all he could do during the round. Patrick got the back after a failed kick by Ebersole but Ebersole quickly spun around and once again controlled the clinch. Patrick kept doing a good job making Ebersole work in the clinch and doing some damage. Patrick landed a couple of good right hands to end the round. A slight 10-9 edge to Patrick as he stuffed the takedowns and did more damage.

Round Three: Ebersole immediately went for a takedown and Patrick stuffed it initially but Ebersole eventually worked and got him down. Patrick got up but Ebersole put him right back down into side control. Patrick once again got up but Ebersole stayed tight on him and landed some good shots. Patrick sprawled and went for a d’arce choke but Ebersole escaped to his feet. Patrick landed some good shots on the feet before stuffing another takedown and going for another choke. Ebersole again escaped and ended the round on top. I’ll give the round 10-9 to Ebersole based on dominant positions and control. I have the fight 29-28 for Ebersole but no score would shock me. Not a good fight.

Result: Brian Ebersole def. Claude Patrick via Split Decision

Tito Ortiz vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

Round One: A slugfest early with both men connecting. Tito shoots but Nog stuffs it. A lot of dirty boxing by both men in the clinch. Nog lands a left that hurts Tito. Nog swarms on him, Tito covers against the cage, Nog drops him with a knee to the body. Nog tries to finish him on the ground but Tito survives. Nog pounding away with elbows and punches to the head and body in the guard of Tito. After a barrage of body shots and Tito covering up, the referee finally jumps in and stops things.

Result: Antonio Rogerio Nogueira def. Tito Ortiz via TKO Round 1 (Strikes)

Frank Mir vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

Round One: Nog landing the jab early before Mir stuffs a takedown. They trade positions in the clinch with Nog doing more damage. Mir gets a takedown but Nog immediately back up. Nog lands some big elbows in the clinch before breaking with the knee. Combo by Nog drops Mir. Nog looks for a guillotine but Mir rolls out and gets on top. Mir goes for a kimura and locks it up. Nog tries to roll out, but Mir keeps it locked on and snaps the arm of Nog before he taps out. Amazing finish.

Result: Frank Mir def. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira via Submission Round 1 (Kimura)

Jon Jones vs. Lyoto Machida

Round One: Slow start to the round with both men landing leg kicks and that’s about it. Machida counters a leg kicks and then scores with a rush. Machida scores with a body kick. Machida lands a straight left as Jones kicks. Another body kick by Machida. Jones not connecting with anything. Very good round for Machida, who landed the cleaner strikes. 10-9 Machida.

Round Two: Jones throwing but landing nothing clean. Machida not really throwing early though, just waiting for an opening. Machida presses forward and lands a flurry. Jones lands a good right hand and gets a takedown. Jones cuts Machida with an elbow on the ground. Machida gets to his feet and the doctor checks the cut. He rules that Machida can continue. Back on the feet. Both men land in an exchange and Machida falls forward. Jones locks up a standing guillotine and Machida goes out. Impressive finish by Jones.

Result: Jon Jones def. Lyoto Machida via Technical Submission Round 2 (Standing Guillotine)

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Let’s go Cholish!-crafty kneebar attempt

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Facecrook keeps breaking up-garbage

• MCM says:

Now that was a perfect example of wrestling wining out over fighting. Mark did absolutely nothing but very slowly take Lentz down and wind up in chokes and get his face cut open.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Absolutely right MCM-Firaz makes me cringe everytime I see that he is coaching someone-He has a bad habit of turning very marketable and exciting fighters into tamed domesticated house pets(GSP and Torres)

• MCM says:

Anyone else’s ION playing Any Given Sunday instead of the fights? This is bullshit.

• qat says:

WOW Mir vs Nog so epic.

• MCM says:

Sub of the YEAR! Holy shit! That was awesome, from almost completely unconscious to snapping Big Nog. Daaaammmnnn!

• fanoftna33 says:

Cant belive the fights so far, crazy endings.

• Richard Stabone says:

This card has had some pretty spectacular finishes. Stacking up better than I expected, with the title fight still to come. Hamman & Soszynski can take some serious punishment but tonight demonstrated where their tolerance line is. Brutal beatdowns.

Tito sucks. Please stop wasting a main card slot on this guy. Not even one for one more fight.

Mir looked like shit and was getting worked over… but I can’t take away from his amazing turnaround victory. Still don’t think either is relevant any longer in the title picture, but that was a super entertaining fight.

Now it’s time to see how Bones handles the Lyoto puzzle. I think Bones figures out a way to finish him somewhere along the way, but it’s a stiff challenge for sure. IMO the only guy to legitimately beat Machida is Shogun, so he’s more than capable and I wouldn’t be shocked if he gets the belt back. It’s just that the obstacle in front of him seems virtually untouchable at this point. Let’s find out…

• Sykotick says:

Got a feeling that machida wins, =\

• fanoftna33 says:

Machida is going to get the suprise ko.

• Richard Stabone says:

Round 1: 10-9 Lyoto

Gotta think Bones will open things up a bit as the 2nd round progresses…

• fanoftna33 says:

Bones is going down.

• Richard Stabone says:

Bones is sick. Nothing else really left to say about the guy. An absolutely brilliant 2011.

• Sykotick says:

Whoo! Glad I was wrong, can’t stand Machida

• fanoftna33 says:

an crap.

• Richard Stabone says:

At the risk of overstating things a bit…

No one on the planet beats Bones right now. Anderson, at his advancing age, is wise to stick at MW rather than flirting with LHW and a matchup with Jonny. And give Bones 6 months notice to move up to HW (hypothetically speaking, of course) and I think he takes out any heavyweight. He would run circles around JDS.

• Lord Faust says:

Whoever is going to the take the title from Jones hasn’t been signed yet. I think he just overcame his most credible threat and did it impressively. I don’t mind being proven wrong like this; that was an awesome fight.

My only complaint is that I had to see Big Nog’s arm break. I has a sad.

• Richard Stabone says:

Yeah, seeing Nog’s arm in all kinds of hell during & after the fight was a sad thing.

Pre-fight predictions – I wouldn’t have guessed Mir would be able to put Nog in trouble from a BJJ standpoint. But then after Nog was shitting all over Mir thru the majority of the fight I *really* wouldn’t have thought Nog would find himself in Mir’s dangerous grasp.

It reminds me a little bit of the first Brock-Mir fight, except that Brock obviously had no clue about BJJ (compared to the masterly level if Nog) *and* the beatdown Nog was putting on Mir was even worse than what Brock was dishing out in the first Mir fight.

Just a completely shocking turnaround. And obviously Mir deserves some credit for that, for being able to weather the storm. But as I knew coming into the fight, neither guy is relevant in the current HW title picture. Realistically speaking, anyway.

• Lord Faust says:

Mir did a great job. I swear Nog panicked when Herb Dean was barking at him, for the rabbit punches and getting his hands caught in Mir’s shorts. I can’t take anything from Mir on this one, though, he stayed calm and will probably go down in history as having the most vicious submission highlight reel in history.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Wow! Well done Mir! Would never have guessed. Still I think he should give more time to tap. There was no need to do what he did but I guess it is a fight.
    As for Jones, hey Lambert, fuk Tebow.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

As for Jones, hey Lambert, fuk Tebow.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

There is an echo in here

• MCM says:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Rashad is the only fighter that will be able to take the belt from Jones.

Mir is absolutely relevant in the HW picture. He did what no one in the history of the division has been able to do, and he did it twice. I’d love to see him against Werdum or Barnett.

Something is up with Tito’s ribs. Machida, Rashad and now Lil Nog all dropped him with body shots. I know a lot of people hate him, but I’ve always enjoyed watching his antics whether in the ring or out of it. Give him Franklin and send him out.

great night of fights.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I could watch Jones fight Machida at least fifty times and still be enthralled-What a great matchup of skills-And to think that just a little over a year ago I was telling my lady that Machida was unbeatable-One can only imagine what the future of MMA beholds

• Richard Stabone says:

Well no one in the history of the sport was able to beat Fedor up until recently either, but I’m not doing cartwheels over Werdum or Big Foot.

Nog was a zombie in the first Mir fight, dealing with the staph infection leading up to the fight, and Mir ran thru him. The battle-worn Nog managed to stave off retirement with a victory against an overrated prospect and followed that up by steamrolling Mir during the early portion of tonight’s bout, only to find himself getting stopped in dramatic turnaround fashion a la Pat Barry vs. Kongo.

If anyone thinks Frank Mir is a realistic threat to the top HW fighters, that’s fine. I do not.

I completely agree. It’s incredible how the sport is growing, with the next great fighter seemingly always around the corner. Such a beautifully dynamic sport, and we’re still in the relatively early stages of the expansion/evolution of the sport… amazing to think what the next 5-10 years might hold.

• Richard Stabone says:

Rashad deserves his crack at Bones (assuming he beats Mr. Wonderfully Raw Phil Davis) but I have no reason to believe he poses any more of a threat to Bones than any of the other opponents he tore thru during 2011.

In the two and a half years since being layed out by Lyoto, Rashad was able to grind out a victory against Thiago Silva (with Thiago being the only one coming close to finishing that fight when he stunned Rashad in the 3rd), then beating A-Team Rampage who was out & back in the UFC, and then finally taking out Tito.

Rashad might be really awesome. I just know his actual accomplishments in the cage pale in comparison to Bones, so I’ll be more than a little surprised if Rashad is the guy to dethrone Bones.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I agree Rich about Rashad but I do think Mir is a threat to the top UFC guys. I think Mir is now a UFC top guy. I would rank him 4th with only Jr, Cain and Overeem above him.

• Richard Stabone says:

I think Overeem wukk beat Brock, putting himself in the top-3 alongside JDS and Cain. And I just see any of those guys smashing Mir just as easily as Brock and Carwin did.

Mir is a respectable gatekeeper, in my view.

• Richard Stabone says:

I mean, as awesome as Mir’s dramatic come-from-behind victory was tonight, we all saw him getting steamrolled to an almost unconscious state by the near-retirement Nog.

One way or another, one of those dudes was going to come out of tonight’s bout, by virtue of their victory, in the “HW picture” but I don’t think that means either is a realistic threat to the top guys.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Mir is a very good HW MMA fighter-That being said, he just can’t break into the top five as it stands on this day-I would love to see Cain fight Mir-I think stylistically that should be very entertaining-I cannot honestly put Overreem in the top five until I see him actually win against a true top five opponent

• Richard Stabone says:

Cain would destroy Mir.

Fair point about Overeem – he’s gotta prove his worth in the UFC. I think he will soon enough, but until he does it’s speculation.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

You may be right. I would like to see how Houston…err I mean Carwin will do in his next fight and Cain also. I think Cain couldnt put Kongo and Rothwell away properly but Mir could or did. Its wide open at HW for me. I doubt Jr is all he is cracked up to be and I would like to see how the SF HWs would go in the UFC.
    Im a bit of a skeptic and sometimes feel that champions are made in the UFC. For example Ill give you the UFC MW challengers like Leites, Cote, Lutter etc. Where are they now? Were they legit challengers? And Carwin has one win of note in his entire career for me and that was Mir the rest of his opponents are around 8 wins for every 7 losses against b graders and none are in the UFC.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Logic-You have got my brain working overtime-Carwin versus Cain could go either way and I could see JDS getting Brockdozered and pounded to a stoppage-The HW division is not the place to make a buck if you are a compulsive gambler, that’s for sure-When you mentioned the past MW title challengers, it had me thinking about Hector Lombard’s title defenses-I mean, can we really honestly think that HL isn’t possibly the best at MMA MW?

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Oh yeah-for the record-Jon Jones blew my mind with his choking out of Machida-All praises due to the LHW king!-Here’s to hoping he can afford a real car-like a 65 ford ranchero with a 460 in it

• elkymbo says:

Jones vs Hendo?

• qat says:

I think Mir is a solid threat for anyone out there, its clear that he is not the best fighter overall, but he has shown time and time again that he can capitalize on mistakes and finish a fight anywhere. I dont mind seeing him against stronger opponents, its alway a thrill.

• Mir is now unquestionably the greatest BJJ practitioner at HW in mma history. You can deny it all you want but he just did what was…and for just about anyone else still is…impossible.

• joe mo mma says:

hopefully after the strikeforce HW tournament is over, the UFC picks up all the heavies. A rubber match between Nogueira and Barnett would be cool. I wouldn’t mind seeing Barnett vs. Mir either. Joe and Mike kept saying how these two are the best grapplers in their division, I definitely think Barnett’s catch skills can hang in there with the best.