Jon Jones’ title defense against Lyoto Machida named UFC 140 “Fight of the Night”

An action-packed night in Toronto offered a number of options where UFC 140 bonuses were concerned with nine finishes the card. However, in the end the organization still had to pick, and as such four men walked away with an extra $75,000 on top of their regular pay.

Fittingly, “Fight of the Night” was awarded to headliners Jon Jones and Lyoto Machida after the two 205ers went toe-to-toe with the Brazilian dishing out some damage only to get dropped, then choked unconscious in the second round.

“Submission of the Night” went to Frank Mir after he weathered an early storm where he appeared to be on the cusp of losing consciousness to surviving, transitioning his way into a Kimua, and eventually sealing the deal to submit Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for the first time in the legendary Brazilian’s career. Mir also looked to have broken Nogueira’s arm in the process.

Finally, winning “Knockout of the Night” was Chan Sung Jung who tied the UFC’s fastest knockout record with a seven-second stoppage of hometown hero Mark Hominick after “The Machine” walked into a strike, then got pounded on until the referee jumped in to wave off action.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Sykotick says:

So Mir was the first to stop Nog with strikes and now he was the first to stop him via sub. Nog needs to say away from Mir lol

• Lord Faust says:

We have a new “Arm Collector”,.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Fight of the night is right!!!!!

• MCM says:

No shit. Memo to the rest of the division, If Mir grabs your arm, TAP.

Damn, my feed cut out right before the Hominick fight and came back on for the Ebersole fight. Now I know why Rogan and Goldie kept talking about fastest KO. I’m gonna have to find it online.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

The Hominick KO was soooo funny. I hate guys that touch gloves and attack almost in the same motion. Justice was done.
    Mir vs Barnett would be my next match up.
    I cant see Jones being beaten at LHW for a while. I would like to see him move to HW after defending against Rashad and whoever else they throw at him.

• Richard Stabone says:

Hominick came out in complete spaz mode, looking like a total amateur, and got dropped & finished within the time it took to take a gulp of beer.

I feel for him… first fight since Tompkins’ passing, fighting in front of his home crowd, etc… but he was just way too jacked for this fight and it cost him.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Hominick made the Zombie look like the next phenom-The best fight I have ever seen Jon Jones in, was against Andre Gusmao-watch that fight-I know Jones wasn’t as seasoned, but it showed how much heart and how he responds to getting hit he has-If you think he will back down when pressured, guess again-Mir is always dangerously close to contention-such a shame he isn’t able to capitalize

• BigDave says:

all around good night of fights. Feel bad for the hometown kid hominick . Not a Mir fan but the dude got rocked and was able to do what he had to. Nog may be done for good now because he had to much pride to tap before getting his arm snapped. Good bye Tito enjoy your getting dropped from the roster.
    Bones…..what can I say that hasn’t been said yet, the kid is only 24, fought 4 times this year and not only beat the top fighters in the division but ran right through them. I don’t expect him to lose anytime soon after he destroys Rashad I think we may see him test the waters at HW.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Yeah BigDave if Jones doesn’t do the HW division soon, I could see him challenging AS to a big money fight for the LHW title-I have a funny feeling that Anderson will retire before accepting that match-I would put some serious money on Nick Diaz fighting Jones before AS-I have a funny feeling that we are going to be suplexed with Mir quotes campaigning for the next HW title shot-His confidence in himself is infectious

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Watching the Bones/Machida fight for the fifth time, I can’t help but think this was a match between a weaponless Samurai and a Zulu warrior -I guess Spike TV is rubbing off on me a bit much

• Niv says:

Wow is all I have to say about last night!

I’m not even sure where to start, I missed a couple fights because I was working late but the ones I saw were awesome.

Phillipou looks like he has some real sweet hands and boy does that guy hit hard.

Little Nog put on his best performance since coming into the UFC without a doubt, not sure what that translates into for him though.

Big Nog looked like the best version of himself since Pride last night right up until Mir snapped his arm, what a crazy fight. Kudos to Mir, he has some real talent unfortunately I think his chin being tested by someone like JDS would be a disaster for him, but you just never know when he gets a grip on a limb.

Jon Jones at this point has officially solidified himself as maybe the best fighter on the planet. He’s decimated 3 former champions, all formidable in their own right and looks like he has no weaknesses at this time, wow.

• joe mo mma says:

MMA-LOGIC, Mir vs. Barnett was exactly what I was thinking too. IMO, Josh Barnett’s catch skills can hang with any top level HW grappler out there (in MMA).

Seeing Nog get his arm broken was heart breaking, he’s been a favorite of mine for a while. With his now 4-3 record in the UFC, I really hope he doesn’t get released from the company. Hopefully the strikeforce heavies come over and we get to see a rubber match between Nog and Barnett?

The fans definitely need to see A. Silva vs Jones. Clearly the best fighters out there that are close enough in weight to fight each other (Id rather see this than Silva vs GSP). I hope we get to see that before Silva decides to retire or something.