Alistair Overeem gets conditional license from NSAC, fight with Lesnar still on

Despite the rumors, Alistair Overeem remains Brock Lesnar‘s opponent for UFC 141 at the end of the month. After a hearing with the Nevada State Athletic Commission, Overeem was granted a conditional fight license for his main event bout. First Overeem must submit a drug test from Europe within the next 72 hours and then another drug test when he arrives in the US for his fight. Following the bout, he’ll have to pass two more drug tests, both of which will take place within six months of the fight.

His status for the fight was in doubt after he failed to comply with the state commissions out-of-competition testing that was ordered on November 17.

Overeem and Lesnar were asked to submit tests on that date. Lesnar did so on November 21 while Overeem waited until November 23. Unfortunately for the Holland native, his test did not meet the commissions standards. Overeem submitted a second test to his personal “sports doctor” but the results have not been collected and the commission wondered if any test was actually taken.

Currently in Holland to take care of his sick mother, Overeem met with the commission today via phone and was sworn under oath during the proceedings.

“When I got the request to test myself, I took the test straight away. I went to the doctor, and he had me steroid tested. I went in for the results, which took 10 days. When I finally got the results, I submitted them, and I thought that that should be sufficient for the commission. But after a couple of days, I received notice that it was not sufficient, and I needed to do more testing. So I went back to the doctor straight away and I had my second test done with the full parameters that was provided by the NSAC, and that was taken last Wednesday, Dec. 7. The results of the test are due seven to 10 days from Dec. 7, so I’m expecting them this week.”

Overeem blamed the differences between testing in the US and Holland for the delay, saying, “In Holland, you go to the doctor to request a test, and then you get permission to go to a facility, or the doctor can take your specimen for you. Because that was not a full panel test, which I learned (later) because it was the first time I ever went through this procedure, we had to look for other options. Because this is the first time I’ve done this; I’ve never done a full panel steroid test in Holland, and the doctors here also did not know where we could do that. So my doctor made some calls and researched the subject. We found that we could do the testing in Germany in a laboratory, and there also it seems there were some complications. In Europe, a drug testing cannot be done by an athlete himself. It has to be requested by an organization. So for me, it’s pretty hard to test myself here, and I’ve learned by going through this procedure because I’ve never gone through this procedure before.”

However, the commission put the blame on Overeem’s assistant, Collin Lam, who has no prior experience in assisting professional athletes. The commission believed that Lam did not show a sense of urgency in relaying the information to his client.

Lesnar’s test results came back clean and he has been cleared for action on December 30.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE/UFC

• Kamakosmo says:

I can already see a bunch of ???’s regardless of how this fight turns out. Why…oh WHY does Overeem always seem involved in some sort of controversy or ‘confusion’ when it comes to testing? This is why I never liked this guy. They both are required to hand in legitmate specimens. Brock complies immediately and comes up clean, Overeem is confused, hands in insufficient results, acts confused again. I understand he has an ailing Mom, but it just smells funny that he bolted back to Holland, after all of the reports of him leaving GG because of management issues, conveniently just prior to the NSAC requesting samples.

Due to this “First Overeem must submit a drug test from Europe within the next 72 hours and then another drug test when he arrives in the US for his fight”…..

Probablibility this fight does NOT happen?

• Kamakosmo says:

And yes….Probablibility IS a word!

• Kamakosmo says:

What this article missed (omitted):

Overeem and Lesnar were both called on 11/17 and told to submit to an out of competition drug test by the end of the business day on 11/18. Brian Stegemen, a rep for Lesnar, said that because of where Lesnar lived in rural Minnesota, there was no place nearby for a test, but did go a hospital, got all his tests done on 11/21 and all his tests came back clean.

Nobody representing Overeem had even contacted the commisison as of 11/21. Overeem’s representative was called at 2 p.m. on 11/17 and Overeem took a 6 p.m. flight out of Las Vegas to Holland to be with his mother who is battling cancer. Overeem testified he was unaware of the request to test him when he got on the plane and didn’t get the word until several days later.

On 11/21, Keith Kizer of the Nevada commission called the UFC and informed them that he had not even heard from Overeem. Kizer was told Overeem was in Holland and would be tested. He took a blood test, not a urine test, on 11/23. A blood test would test elevated testerone levels but would not necessarily show use of any other anabolic steroid. It should be noted he was told to take a urine test, not a blood test, but he claimed he never was told which specific test to take. His test didn’t show an illegal level of testosterone when the commission received the results on 11/30.

He was then told to take the urine test. Overeem did not take the test until 12/7. The results are not back in at this point.

• THEGUNNER says:

they should give overeem his walking papers if he fails the test. He looks like hes on steroids as oppose to brock being naturally big. Either way he cant pump up his glass jaw.

• MCM says:

Wasn’t Brock caught using HGH when he was in the WWE? If you don’t think so, look at the pics of him screaming with the belt in the wrestling adds.

As for Overeem, the problem is that even though everything he says sounds completely plausible, it seems to happen all the time. Half the press about the guy is whether or not he’s on roids. Don’t you think he’d know where and how to get tested? Didn’t he also have to do tests for his fight in Dallas against Werdum? Are you telling me that Holland, home of some of the greatest Kickboxers, Combat sports athletes, and Strongmen, is incapable of testing for banned substances?
    Plausible, but highly unlikely taken at face value.

The probability this fight does NOT happen….slim. It takes jumping through a lot of hoops, but Overeem does get cleared every time.

• Lord Faust says:

Brock was NOT caught using anything; never has been.

There was an incident where Brock was followed home my LEOs and they searched his home, basically predicating their suspicion on the same thing everyone else does — that he’s a monster. They found nothing.

I’m willing to believe Lesnar is not a PED user; he’s been the same size since I saw him enter the WWE. I am sure he gets a lot of scrutiny when tested; he’s never failed and just seems to be built for war. (Seriously, look at the size of his chest.)

• MCM says:

You’re right Faust, he was not caught using, he was caught receiving HGH. I doubt he’s used as an MMA fighter or when he was trying to play pro football, but I’d be a fool not to think he did when with the WWE. I’m not knocking him anymore than I’ll knock Bodybuilders for using. I don’t consider it an unfair advantage and the WWE isn’t a real sport anyway so who cares. Regardless, the guy was gonna be massive no matter what he did in life thanks to genetics. But I’m looking at the pics of him just on this page and there is no way he’s the same size now as he was then. Then again, who of us are the same size in our 30’s as we were in our 20’s. *sigh*

• Lord Faust says:

Well, he was probably bloated with more water weight in WWE, since it’s not like there were weigh-ins.

I cannot find anything to corroborate the claims he received HGH. He got ‘caught’ with something, but as far as I can recall, it was some kind of supplement — if it was HGH I never read that anywhere.

If you’ve got any references, I’d love to see them. (Seriously, just for my own info; when I’m not mistaking Machida for an ex-PRIDE fighter, I like to expand my knowledge haha.)

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I bet at least 70% or more use it. Why? Cuz they can and athletes have said as much and that includes those that were not caught but say they and others did use. Dont be naive, I suppose you guys also think noone has ever fixed a fight in the UFC either.

• Lord Faust says:

No, I don’t think anyone has fixed a fight in the UFC since Zuffa bought them. That’s an even more outlandish accusation than PED use, with more serious repercussions than suspending fighting licenses. So no, I don’t think it’s happened, as the UFC’s legitimacy as a business and promoter would be tarnished and MMA would suffer big-time for it.

Do I think all fighters are saints? No. But I don’t think the PED usage is even in the same conversation as pro bodybuilding. I am sure guys use things to heal after injuries, etc, and there is no test for HGH yet — that I am aware of. (I think WADA is working on it, and may be close, but I don’t know if anyone besides the Olympics adhere to WADA standards completely; plus there is the cost issue.)

If we could get 100% accurate answers as to who does / doesn’t use PEDs, I am sure a lot of us would be surprised — both at who is and isn’t. That said, the rampant speculation of the average MMA fan, especially when it comes to steroids, HGH, etc, generally comes hand-in-hand with a laughable understanding of human physiology, athletic training, and the fighters’ genetics / routines / frames, etc.

• Niv says:

I think the possibilty that Overeem juices or juiced at some time is more than likely, but unless he ever gets caught it’s a moot point. On the other hand Frank Mir is almost always referred to as the new improved Mir for his near 40lb conversion in a 6 month period, and Brock Lesnar was arrested years ago on suspicion of steriods but it turned out he had piles of HGH on him, hmmmm?

Now that the bs is out of the way let’s look forward to a big fight that is very intruiging to say the least.

• Niv says:

If I can add something to this story at the time Lesnar was caught with HGH it was not an illegal substance yet if I’m correct, and that’s why no charges were persued.

Regardless, my point is simple until someone is actually caught let it go, and if Overeem is in fact caught then he should get suspended just like everybody else does. To demand a level playing field on one hand sure looks hypocrtical if we give him a stiffer sentence than others in past practice, seeing other UFC fighters have been suspended it would only make sense.

I for one hope he passes and wins his fight so we may see a real treat of a HW fight between the Reem and JDS.

• Lord Faust says:

Who knows, maybe he’s on TRT.

The whole PED debate is an a nasty quagmire of ethics, semantics, and science. For blabbermouth’s like myself, who just love to talk, it’s good fodder, but the discussions tend to get mean-spirited pretty quickly.

What I find interesting is a lot of us are so quick to call out Overeem for juicing, but no one calls out guys for possibly using diuretics to shed absurd amounts of weight. On many levels, it’s the same thing.

• Lord Faust says:

Can anyone dig up the story on Brock being caught with HGH? My GoogleFu is clearly inferior.

• edub says:

Niv: Did you not even read the article? Or do you not realize that all the stories floating around the internet were about how Overeem conveniently left the US for his sick mother the exact same day the NSAC ordered him in for out of competition testing. Or that he hasn’t submitted a testable sample in nearly 30 days because he went to his own personal doctor for both his blood and urine test in that time frame? People are speculating about Overeem because of his transformation throughout his career, plus his nefarious behavior over the last month. That speculation is most cetainly valid.

Brock has been caught up in Steroid accusations twice. However, both of those were during his professional wrestling career. Frank Mir has been close to the same size throughout his entire career outside of his fights with Cheick Kongo and Shane Carwin (two fights he was subjected to random testing). Those fights were close to two years ago, and Frank has competed at roughly the same weight since then.

To bring up Frank Mir (a guy who has been subject to drug testing roughly his entire career) and Brock Lesnar (a guy who’s never failed a single test, and cooperated with everything the NSAC handed down on November 17th), just because you don’t like people speculating about Overeem after the past months is illogical, and frankly quite stupid.

• Guthookd says:

They should both be given the green light to roid up for this one.

Seriously though, it’s obvious what’s up with Reem. Hope he cuts it out long enough to get this fight done. If not I think Zuffa will be done with him for sure….which would be interesting because of the whole management debaucle of late.

• Guthookd says:

And yeah, any human with a fucking brain in their head can see that Lesnar is not in the same physical shape he was in during his wrestling/roiding days.

• Lord Faust says:

You are aware Brock *cuts* weight to meet the 265 limit, right?

• Niv says:

Actually I did read the article, however regardless of how things are looking here it’s a licence to always say he’s cheating, I believe I did say he just might be.

However, Lesnar is always given a pass even though he does have a suspicious background himself, and with Mir put on a very well documented 25 lbs in a 6 month period, so I was wrong on how much weight there, but a significant amount of weight in a very short time. Overeem on the other hand at 6’5″ has put on mass over a much longer period of time (several years), yet he’s the only one who people point the finger at.

And if we want to start calling people stupid buddy, it’s stupid to think because they’ve been tested means they’re clean. All it really is indicative of is more sophisticated usage really. If someone is using HGH there isn’t a test anywhere that conclusively can prove it’s been used, so maybe you can get off your high horse a little there and try and see that all of this speculation is just that, and if you want to point your finger point it everywhere in mma.

• MCM says:

lord faust-

It says that his attorney said they were a “vitamin type thing”. At the time, HGH wasn’t “illegal” and could be had without a prescription. It wasn’t until around ’04-’05 that it started being lumped in with steroids.

• edub says:

Ok, if you really want to do this we can:

First off before everything you said: “I really wonder why every single story on mma sites that mentions Overeem’s name turns into a juvenille rant about steroids?

I think the possibilty that Overeem juices or juiced at some time is more than likely”

You are saying basically it’s ok for you to think he used steroids, but its not ok for people to discuss his possible steroid use in an article documenting his blatant disregard for out of competition testing. That’s not only illogical, but its conceded. Sorry, but you’re not the only person allowed to speculate.

“but unless he ever gets caught it’s a moot point. On the other hand Frank Mir is almost always referred to as the new improved Mir for his near 40lb conversion in a 6 month period,”

Here, you go from saying Overeem should get another free pass because he doesn’t piss hot, to openly speculating about a fighter who’s tested frequently. That’s a blatant double standard, and its only being used here because you’re trying to enforce an illogical opinion.

“So if anyone wants to talk about Overeem and always mention steroids I only hope they can at least not be hypocrites and mention that Brock Lesnar has in fact been caught with HGH on his person.”

I’m sorry, but no. We all don’t have to talk about Frank Mir and Brock Lesnar when Alistair Overeem is the one who skipped out on random drug testing. Again, this isn’t a random post about Overeem.

“Regardless, my point is simple until someone is actually caught let it go, and if Overeem is in fact caught then he should get suspended just like everybody else does.”

” If someone is using HGH there isn’t a test anywhere that conclusively can prove it’s been used, so maybe you can get off your high horse a little there and try and see that all of this speculation is just that, and if you want to point your finger point it everywhere in mma.”

So now you’re going away from your original point saying: Unless they test positive nothing should be done. So which is it? Do we openly speculate about personnel who make headlines skipping out on tests, or do we have to at the same time give that person a free pass by calling the whole sport into question when most fighters follow the commissions’ standards year round? Again, this isn’t some random witch hunt against Alistair Overeem. This is open speculation about a guy with a checkered past of weight gain, who he competed with no drug testing. That has now not followed commission standards, and will probably get licensed because too much money is invested in him.

It’s the same tired argument used by Barnett supporters: Everybody’s using it. They’re just not getting caught.

Overeem wasn’t caught with anything, but he did skip the country the exact same day a random drug test ordered of him. He then conducted drug tests with his personal doctor twice which was completely against the NSAC’s orders, and his excuse was “well my manager told me this was ok”.

“I believe there was a very good article recently published regarding the very lax testing protocols in mma today, and the only testing that seems to be quite effective is the Olympic style tests, yet even they get fooled.”

That’s all well in good. But this shouldn’t be a discussion about the failures in commission sanctioning, or the effectiveness of regulated drug testing. If this were an article about multiple fighters or a sanctioning body as a whole, that would be a great topic. Except it isn’t. This is a discussion about one man’s disregard for industry standards. His failure to submit to random testing at the time needed, and when he finally does submit the tests it wasn’t in the correct manner.

You can’t just switch the argument around because it doesn’t suit your opinion.

• Lord Faust says:

I think Overeem deserves a lot of scrutiny here. Mir and Lesnar, thus far, have done everything by the books, so there’s little reason to bring them into this discussion. As edub points out, the particulars of this situation — regardless of past speculation — are awkward, to say the least.

• Lord Faust says:

To be fair, however, Overeem apparently submitted a blood test in Holland. Provided everything is on the up-and-up regarding the collection, etc, then did he not expose himself to an even greater risk of getting caught?

• Niv says:

I wrote out a super long rebuttal after coming home from my kids Christmas concert, I deleted it before posting it as we’re getting to the point where we need lawyers to explain every words meaning and how we are interpreting each and every word.

I don’t have the energy for it, so good talk I’ll wait for the fight. Everyone have a good Christmas if I don’t post by then.

• MickeyC says:

Anyone that thinks Brock is Naturally big, has not seen his highschool photos, or when he first entered collage. Anyone that says Brock has NEVER used is full of it. He has used in the past, as I am sure the bulk of MMA fighters have at one time or another. And I dout it is any diffrent in other sports.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Why would no fights in the UFC have been fixed. Trust me, if there is money to be made, its being done. MMA is the easiest fight sport to fix. Just for example, how do you know that Silvas dancing etc against Maia was not becuz he had a reason to go 5 rds. Not saying that was the case but it could have been. Subs are easy to fix, just let yourself get caught in a choke. Nobody can prove a thing. I would be naive to think that no UFC fights have been fixed, even after ZUFFA took over cuz that is irrelevant.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Fighters failing drug tests include
    Marquardt
    Sonnen
    Sherk
    Belfort
    Barnett
    Sylvia
    T.Silva
    and many more.

Monson said that he did it and believes most do it and considers it almost a requirement. Other athletes have said similar things. Marion Jones was doing them for years with olympic testing and was never caught. BJ Penn knows that fighters take them during training. Doctors have said that they know at least 6 of the 7 athletes in the finals of a sprint at the olympics were taking them. Dennis Halman said at least 50% take them.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

If you think no UFC fighter uses and doesnt get caught you are a fool. If you think no UFC fighter has ever fixed a fight you are a fool.

• Lord Faust says:

The plural of anecdote is not “data”.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I dont think naive has a plural.

• Lord Faust says:

Until a guy gets caught, I will extend the benefit of the doubt to them. It’s, you know, logical.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

No it is not. Logic is not assuming that everyone is good or playing by the rules. Logic is assuming they are not all playing by the rules cuz thats what humans do.

• Lord Faust says:

No, that’s bias and personal opinion; not logic.

Look, I don’t want to turn this into another novel-length post. (I like those, others don’t.)

Here’s my stance: the commissions decide what they test for and how they test for it; there are obvious improvements that could be made. (WADA standards would be a great start.)

I am sure lots of fighters do some pretty dubious stuff. The fact remains, if they don’t test positive for something the commissions are looking for then, in my mind, they satisfy the commissions requirement that they are ‘clean’. It may not jive with anec-data, or others opinions, or a reasonable assumption that competition athletes will seek all sorts of advantages — legal or otherwise. But, the fact remains, if he passes his tests and the commissions say “it’s all good” then, as per the standard everyone else is held to, it must be “all good”.

The thing is, I treat this like the legal system; guilty until proven innocent. Even now, I will extend Overeem the benefit of the doubt; that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t scrutinize the Hell out of everything he does, test him as much as possible, and so on.

You’re free to your opinion, as am I. The issue is when either of us treat it like some immutable fact.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

It is fact that athletes cheat and dont get caught. It is fact that athletes cheat and get caught. It is fact that fights get fixed. It is fact that there is motivation to fix fights. It is fact and therefore logical that that it is happening in the UFC. You assume everything is OK becuz figjters dont get caught and based on all the evidence, that is fantasy. I dont want to point the finger at any one fighter but it will be happening.

Reem is sketchy… I understand his situation with his mother but this is all a bit too much and the commission is certainly very trusting of a guy whom isn’t very forth right… This isn’t his first pro fight and him & his assistant act as if they are oblivious… Hope Brock smashes him.

• Lord Faust says:

Logic: if they cheat and don’t get caught then it is supposition, not fact. Should you ever be on trial for a criminal offence, you’d want it that way.

We can make our armchair diagnoses about guys physiques but until they are caught actually violating the rules then it’s just hearsay.