Vitor Belfort, Wanderlei Silva to face off as coaches on TUF: Brasil

After speculation on names, not nationalities, UFC President Dana White announced the coaches for the UFC’s upcoming season of TUF in Brazil during a press conference related to UFC 142, naming fan-favorites Vitor Belfort and Wanderlei Silva to the position.

Also revealed was the UFC’s plan to have Belfort and Silva, who met at UFC 17.5 several years ago, square off this summer at the conclusion of the reality show. Belfort earned a 44-second knockout victory of Silva in their first meeting and the two have been looking to get back inside the Octagon against each other ever since.

“I’ve been waiting for this for a long time. I knew one day we would face each other again, and the time is here,” said Silva of his upcoming scrap. “This is one of the biggest rematches of all MMA and I’m very happy to give this to all of my fans.”

TUF: Brasil will follow the same path as the American seasons of The Ultimate Fighter with fighters living/training together. The UFC is also looking at making the show available in the U.S., possibly on FUEL TV, while it will air on broadcasting giant Globo TV in Brazil. The season is set to premiere on March 25.

Before facing “The Axe Murderer”, Belfort (20-9) will first meet Anthony Johnson in January at UFC 142 before taking on his coaching duties. Comparably, Silva (34-11-1) last competed in November, defeating Cung Le, and has nothing else scheduled before TUF starts up.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Guthookd says:

-Wand

I think that the biggness of this rematch could be debated.

That said, I’m really looking forward to it. I think Vitor is going to get another 44 second KO, but we’ll see. The real winners here are going to be the guys who train on their teams. I bet there are going to be some good fights too.

• Lord Faust says:

Wanderlei by crane kick.

• MCM says:

It’s hard to pick Wanderlei at this point in his career, but I will NEVER root for Vitor. So….Kick his as Axe Murderer!
    I also think Wandy will be the better coach.
    Too bad my f@#!@# cable provider doesn’t have Fuel. Guess I’ll have to interwebz it.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

This will probably be one of the better TUF seasons for fights with two very historic UFC legends coaching and it’s still not guaranteed to be shown on American TV-FUEL TV is going to have to get some major backing from it’s parent FOX to have all cable systems put the channel on basic packages

• hindsightufuk says:

might not be the biggest fight or the biggest rematch but it is two of the biggest named fighters ever.
    i’ll watch it purely for the coaches.
    any word on weight classes for the show?

• fanoftna33 says:

I dont care where he is careere wise I will always root for the axe murderer, glad to see the UFC giving him this match up because he has wanted this for years. Should be awesome to see how both coaches go about traing and teaching young fighters.

• Lord Faust says:

I can’t wait. The last season of TUF really re-energized my interest in the series. I cannot wait to see the monsters that come out of this season.